Aluminum wheels - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2020, 06:24 AM   #61

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Those will look great on her escape
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:04 AM   #62

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Sign me up for a set of those
Old 02-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #63

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I like the looks of aluminum wheels but don’t like the inherent problems
With vehicle that I have owned with aluminum wheels , I was constantly adding air to the tires
Kneeling in the snow , with temps in the 20 below range adding air to my tires is a PITA
Spending hours trying to get the wheels back to a shine somewhere near the original is again a PITA

When they make an aluminum wheel that doesn’t leak , pit , or lose its finish , at a somewhat reasonable price ,call me .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #64
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the factory alloy wheels on all my various european cars over the years never had any leakage problems, and the finishes were/are very durable. they are silver painted (with Wirth wheel paint) and clear coated (again, Wirth clearcoat) at the factory. These cars have run the gamut of a 1984 VW convertible to various volvos (a 1987 240 had about 500K miles when it went to the wrecker, its wheels still looked good), and a few Mercedes, including a 1994 Mercedes E320 wagon (which we still have, with 280,000 miles now).

Now, true, they don't salt the roads around here, in fact we have pretty mild weather, but we've driven these cars all over the place, including up to the snow country in the winter.

ALL these european cars seemed to suffer from heavy black brake dust, and i've always been pretty lackadaisical about cleaning them, but when I use a wheel brush and hose, they come out looking good again.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote