Atwood furnace not working, random problem with the fan blower - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2023, 11:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Atwood furnace not working, random problem with the fan blower

I've read through all the furnace threads and haven't seen a problem quite like ours so starting a new thread.

We are on the coldest trip we've ever been on and are having random problems with our 7 year old Atwood furnace. Occasionally we get lucky and it turns on and runs for a while. Most of the time it doesn't work at all. We are running on shore power. I tried disconnecting and have the same issues when running off the battery.

We turn on the thermostat and hear a click. A few seconds later the furnace clicks. Then nothing happens at all. The blower does not come on. We get the 'Airflow/Limit switch' indicator. I'm thinking that's because there is no air flow at all due to the blower not coming on. I used our high pressure air duster on it in various places and sometimes that helped it start, other times not.

On those rare occasions where it works, sometimes you can hear the fan changing velocity, and most times the furnace suddenly shuts down before reaching the desired temperature.

From reading the other threads I'm thinking it could be an electrical issue, insufficient power to start the blower and keep it running? All other electrical components are running fine. We’ve looked for loose wires and nothing was obvious. Or it could be we just need a new fan motor. We haven’t removed the housing and looked inside though as it appears to be a big job. We have a multimeter with us and will check to see the power coming in if we can figure out where to check it.

Either way we’ve decided to continue our trip (4 more weeks) best as we can with portable heaters and have a tech look at it when we get home. I posted this here though in case anyone thinks there is anything else we can try. Thank you in advance!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
It sounds like a control board issue from your description.

Maybe one of the people on this forum with far more experience with the furnaces than I will chime in.
splitting_lanes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:39 AM   #3
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Have you checked the red light on the control board (assume there is one). Your furnace manual should have some type of chart that tells you want a particular red light blinking sequence indicates. I've also had good luck calling Dometic directly, or you can email them.

You may also want to check the thermostat to verify that it is not the cause, and of course the infamous sail switch (try a new one if you have not recently).

Sail Switches are relatively cheap, I think the control boards go for $130 to $150 or so, and I don't know what thermostats cost. I'd advise some research prior to ordering any parts to see if they are returnable. Most electronic parts are not, so if I were doing this myself, I'd check the control board to see if I had a blinking light sequence I could observe, then I'd call Dometic to discuss my issue and what I found, then buy the part that is the most likely culprit.

It sounds like your taking excellent care of the unit, so best wishes on a successful diagnosis and repair!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 12:16 PM   #4
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I've read through all the furnace threads and haven't seen a problem quite like ours so starting a new thread.

We are on the coldest trip we've ever been on and are having random problems with our 7 year old Atwood furnace. Occasionally we get lucky and it turns on and runs for a while. Most of the time it doesn't work at all. We are running on shore power. I tried disconnecting and have the same issues when running off the battery.

We turn on the thermostat and hear a click. A few seconds later the furnace clicks. Then nothing happens at all. The blower does not come on. We get the 'Airflow/Limit switch' indicator. I'm thinking that's because there is no air flow at all due to the blower not coming on. I used our high pressure air duster on it in various places and sometimes that helped it start, other times not.

On those rare occasions where it works, sometimes you can hear the fan changing velocity, and most times the furnace suddenly shuts down before reaching the desired temperature.

From reading the other threads I'm thinking it could be an electrical issue, insufficient power to start the blower and keep it running? All other electrical components are running fine. We’ve looked for loose wires and nothing was obvious. Or it could be we just need a new fan motor. We haven’t removed the housing and looked inside though as it appears to be a big job. We have a multimeter with us and will check to see the power coming in if we can figure out where to check it.

Either way we’ve decided to continue our trip (4 more weeks) best as we can with portable heaters and have a tech look at it when we get home. I posted this here though in case anyone thinks there is anything else we can try. Thank you in advance!

Your problem sounds similar to one describe in a video from Darren of My RV Works. The furnace clicks but nothing happens. While diagnosing the problem, Darren jiggles a wire and the fan comes on. The internal wiring of electric motors can go bad with age creating a dead spot in the windings. It could also be your not getting enough power to the heater. Unfortunately, it could be a number of things. If you use the heater a lot on your camping trips and considering the age of your trailer, the motor might be a good bet.

The two video below are long but very instructive. It could also be the power board but not necessarily.

SRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 12:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
I've read through all the furnace threads and haven't seen a problem quite like ours so starting a new thread....
Hopefully your search led to this thread by David Murphy and the 2015 Atwood furnace troubleshooting document linked in his 4th post

Wishing you good luck!
Old 02-11-2023, 06:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Have you checked the red light on the control board (assume there is one). Your furnace manual should have some type of chart that tells you want a particular red light blinking sequence indicates. I've also had good luck calling Dometic directly, or you can email them.

You may also want to check the thermostat to verify that it is not the cause, and of course the infamous sail switch (try a new one if you have not recently).
Yep checked the red light, that's how I got the 'airflow/limit fault' error. And checked the thermostat. Have done more research and at this point we think the fan motor needs replacing.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Your problem sounds similar to one describe in a video from Darren of My RV Works. The furnace clicks but nothing happens. While diagnosing the problem, Darren jiggles a wire and the fan comes on. The internal wiring of electric motors can go bad with age creating a dead spot in the windings. It could also be your not getting enough power to the heater. Unfortunately, it could be a number of things. If you use the heater a lot on your camping trips and considering the age of your trailer, the motor might be a good bet.
Thank you that video was really helpful! We are going to start with replacing the fan motor, but probably not until we return from our trip. Whatever happens, we will post back the resolution, in case any one else runs into the same problem.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Yes I found that and the tech manual he referenced all very helpful. This is such a great forum!
Old 02-12-2023, 08:04 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
If you take it apart far enough to get to the motor wiring, you should be able to disconnect the motor and jumper it to a 12 volt power supply or batteries, and if the motor is good it should spin. If the motor does not spin when directly jumper to power, then it's definitely a bad motor. The motor draws a couple amps so make sure you don't use wire that's too skinny.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
If you take it apart far enough to get to the motor wiring, you should be able to disconnect the motor and jumper it to a 12 volt power supply or batteries, and if the motor is good it should spin. If the motor does not spin when directly jumper to power, then it's definitely a bad motor. The motor draws a couple amps so make sure you don't use wire that's too skinny.

Will try that - thank you!
Old 02-12-2023, 07:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
Quote:
Will try that - thank you!
While you have the motor out, put a drop or two of oil on the bearings.
Your symptom description sounds very much like you have a worn out fan motor. A little oil may get you home.
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 12:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE Vogel View Post
While you have the motor out, put a drop or two of oil on the bearings.
Your symptom description sounds very much like you have a worn out fan motor. A little oil may get you home.
Will do, thanks!
Old 02-13-2023, 11:01 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
oh, also, after unplugging the motor, put a volt meter on the pins that feed the motor and try and start the furnace, see if there's 12V there.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21
Had the same problem so cleaned the sail switch that seemed to help for a few hours but not permanently. Finally replaced the sail switch ($30) which solved the problem.
Wakefido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:26 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Sail Switsh or clogged exhaust flue or gas/propane pressure issue?

Check your furnace’s external exhaust flue and check your sail switch.

I believe that the “logic” in the furnace’s control system is similar to the “logic” in home power-vent water heaters:
(A) thermostat sends start-up “trigger” to control board
(B) then the control board:
  1. starts exhaust fan
  2. waits for sail switch to close
  3. opens gas/propane valve
  4. briefly waits
  5. initiates sparking sequence and waits
  6. detects that ignition has occurred (heat)
  7. stops sparking sequence
  8. waits for thermostat to send shut-down “trigger"
If there is dust in/around the sail switch or if the exhaust flue is clogged the control board will stop at step #2. If gas/propane isn't available, the control board stops at step #5.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB. View Post
Check your furnace’s external exhaust flue and check your sail switch.

I believe that the “logic” in the furnace’s control system is similar to the “logic” in home power-vent water heaters:
(A) thermostat sends start-up “trigger” to control board
(B) then the control board:
  1. starts exhaust fan
  2. waits for sail switch to close
  3. opens gas/propane valve
  4. briefly waits
  5. initiates sparking sequence and waits
  6. detects that ignition has occurred (heat)
  7. stops sparking sequence
  8. waits for thermostat to send shut-down “trigger"
If there is dust in/around the sail switch or if the exhaust flue is clogged the control board will stop at step #2. If gas/propane isn't available, the control board stops at step #5.
Thanks but for us even step 1 doesn't work. That fan never starts so we don't think it is the sail switch (but we've cleaned it just in case). However we've not tried cleaning the exhaust flue. Will try that tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:53 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Thanks but for us even step 1 doesn't work. That fan never starts so we don't think it is the sail switch (but we've cleaned it just in case). However we've not tried cleaning the exhaust flue. Will try that tomorrow.
Cleaning the switch doesn’t always work, I’d start off with a new one.
Then check into the limit switch.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:19 AM   #18
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
I'm not an expert on this subject, but my heater fan comes on withing just a few seconds of the thermostat clicking on. Your heater hasn't started the sequence suggesting either a bad fan motor or a power board failure. Because so many people experience heater problems, I've watched lots of videos on the subject. Darin of My RV Works has a number of them that might help you figure this out. Here's a link to just one of the videos.
SRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 02:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
I'm not an expert on this subject, but my heater fan comes on withing just a few seconds of the thermostat clicking on. Your heater hasn't started the sequence suggesting either a bad fan motor or a power board failure. Because so many people experience heater problems, I've watched lots of videos on the subject. Darin of My RV Works has a number of them that might help you figure this out. Here's a link to just one of the videos.
Thanks for posting he has a lot of good info.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 12:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I had a similiar problem

I had a similar problem. The fan motor would start and then after a few seconds, the fuse blew. My mobile repair tech checked the motor and found a spot where the motor dragged ever so slightly. He replaced the motor and the problem was solved. The key to me is that the motor speed varied prior to this, indicating to me that something was wrong with the motor.