Awning Trouble After 4 Years - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2022, 10:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012 E19
Those Carefree awnings don't sound very Care-free!
Old 10-12-2022, 10:31 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 19' Escape
Noticed some pin-holes in our 2019 awning about a week ago before our latest trip. They are in that portion of material that never gets rolled up and is attached to the trailer body. The trailer is usually covered and the only thing I can attribute the damage to is a hale storm on our previous trip. After putting in some research time I decided to use Gorilla 4 in. x 10 ft. Waterproof Patch and Seal Tape (white) to cover the area.
Cleaned the awning thoroughly, applied the tape, then hit the taped area with a heat gun. Not sure how long it'll last but we just returned from a 500 mile trip and it looks fine.

The awning is the one thing about the trailer I do not like. Before the Escape I had a 13' Scamp. My lowly Scamp had an awing that would roll up into a metal casing. Though the Scamp was eight years old when I got it, the awning looked perfect.

Should the tape solution be short term I'm considering getting a Fiamma awning (https://www.fiammausa.com/en/).

efdavila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:54 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by efdavila View Post
Noticed some pin-holes in our 2019 awning about a week ago before our latest trip. They are in that portion of material that never gets rolled up and is attached to the trailer body. The trailer is usually covered and the only thing I can attribute the damage to is a hale storm on our previous trip. After putting in some research time I decided to use Gorilla 4 in. x 10 ft. Waterproof Patch and Seal Tape (white) to cover the area.
Cleaned the awning thoroughly, applied the tape, then hit the taped area with a heat gun. Not sure how long it'll last but we just returned from a 500 mile trip and it looks fine.

The awning is the one thing about the trailer I do not like. Before the Escape I had a 13' Scamp. My lowly Scamp had an awing that would roll up into a metal casing. Though the Scamp was eight years old when I got it, the awning looked perfect.

Should the tape solution be short term I'm considering getting a Fiamma awning (https://www.fiammausa.com/en/).

Another reason the power awning is better than the manual set up.......
Old 10-12-2022, 12:01 PM   #24

Trailer: 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Meter
Sad to say ANY RV related item that lasts 4 years on a RV has lasted 2 years than expected!

You did GOOD with that awning!

The PRODUCT QUALITY of RV related aftermarket products are just like the current new RV's manufactured today.

POOR AT BEST!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!:"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 12:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by efdavila View Post

Pinholes will happen. Replaced our awning fabric after 11 years mainly because stitching was dry rotted. Still had some life in it. Your tape sounds like it will protect that exposed area of the awning a bit better. Keep in mind if using in the rain the Escape awning being sealed to the trailer the full length is really nice. My father’s old Scamp had a Dometic Catalina awning. While it was encased when closed there was a huge gap between the awning and the trailer shell which allowed rainwater to cascade down the side of the trailer. This is inconvenient when trying to keep things dry close to the trailer. If you use the awning only for shade this is a non-issue.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:59 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Another reason the power awning is better than the manual set up.......
After over 7 years our manual awning is in perfect shape.
Manual awnings Rule -- Power awnings Drool.