Below freezing travel and camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2024, 12:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C
Below freezing travel and camping

I’m planning for my first winter trip where I will most likely experience below freezing temperatures during travel and while camping. I want to make sure I am prepared to address and prevent any problems or issues.

I have a 2022 21C. It is equipped with spray foam insulation and tank heaters for fresh and gray water. Composting toilet. Frameless windows. Lithium batteries with 412AH capacity, 380 watts of solar and a DC-DC charger. Victron BMV-712 battery monitor. 2200-watt inverter. Norcold compressor refrigerator. WFCO 8955 Auto Detect Converter. Both propane tanks are full. I also added foam rubber mats under the bed and rear U-shaped seating area to add extra insulation.

Currently the trailer is completely winterized with -25 RV antifreeze in the water lines and all tanks are empty. It is stored in a fully enclosed non heated building with power connected. I have a temperature-controlled heater for the storage area where the batteries are mounted. The minimum temperature the batteries will be is 35F.

My plan is to fill my water tank just prior to departure and if the temperature will be below freezing, I will turn on the fresh tank heater. (The tank heater uses approx. 10 amps).

Once I arrive at my first boondocking site I will turn on the water pump to purge the antifreeze from the lines and then open the bypass valves to fill the water heater and then turn on the water heater. I have three options for heating, the furnace, Coleman Mach10 with heat strip and a 1500 watt ceramic heater. I have a Honda 2200i generator. The generator is equipped with the Honda Cold Climate Technology heater kit. The generator also has a remote attached 3 gallon gas tank and can run continuously for 12-14 hours at full output. I have tested the generator and it will easily run the Coleman Mach 10 heat strip at 1800 watts.

I will also have an air compressor, 2 gallons of RV antifreeze and the proper socket to remove the anode rod to drain the hot water tank, (if it is necessary to winterize the system during travel).

I believe I’ve taken into account all the preparation for a successful boondocking experience, but once I break camp at what temperature do I need to be concerned about my water lines freezing while traveling to my next destination? I will be traveling 6-8 hours between stops.

I believe the saying "Failing to plan is planning to fail"....and I don't want to have any problems that could have been prevented.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments for my question.
Pairofkings is offline   Reply With Quote