Can't complete post - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2024, 03:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019, 21' Escape
Can't complete post

Just wasted an hour writing a post and was going to preview it and was told I wasn't logged in BS
I'll get help else where
Tomasson A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 04:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasson A. View Post
Just wasted an hour writing a post and was going to preview it and was told I wasn't logged in BS
I'll get help else where
I’m always bumping into this extreme frustration on internet sites, not just this one. If I’m going to spend any time writing anything I try to remember to compose it in an email message to myself or a document and save it frequently, then do a final review and copy-paste into my post.

Hope you find your answer, and if not post back here. There are many members whose sole purpose in life is helping improve your Escape life. Yes, I am exaggerating but only a little.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasson A. View Post
I'll get help else where
Long post at 1 hour. This forum isn't set up for that, that way. I've also lost a longer post this way. The suggestion in the previous post are your best bet.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
You can always highlight and copy what you compose, log in, then paste what you copied into a post if you run into this situation again.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Or, you can click the "Remember Me" box immediately below where you enter your password on the login screen (you'll never be logged-out unless you block the cookie that allows that setting to be saved in your browser).

I often compose a post, walk away leaving it un-sent for hours, then return to either submit, edit, or upon consideration, delete.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My problem is inadvertenty tapping the wrong button. And loosing my post. And then realizing what my kids keep telling me “Dad maybe the computer age isn’t for you”. But I am bullheaded so I just keep tapping.
Don’t give up, persevere and we will help you if possible. Collectively, Nobody is more experienced and knowledgeable with Escapes than the good folks on this forum.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-17-2024, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Or, you can click the "Remember Me" box immediately below where you enter your password on the login screen (you'll never be logged-out unless you block the cookie that allows that setting to be saved in your browser).
Good point, Alan, but on a few occasions, I have been “mysteriously” logged out and have to log in again even though I have clicked the Remember Me button. It has also happened on FGRV also. Fortunately, this “mishap” is rare.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I mainly use my computer to access the forum and never log out. On the odd occasion I use my phone I am always logged in too. I'm not sure if it's a setting or just not logging out. I can close all pages of my browser and when I come back to the forum I'm still logged in. I find that handy.

When I compose a post I use the Go Advanced button and then the Preview Post button frequently and do my edits as I go. I believe that's only available if you are logged in.

If I inadvertently click on something or accidently swipe my mouse and go off that page all I have to do is hit the Back button to one of my previewed pages. Each Preview is saved multiple pages back. I've lost posts that were only in the Quick Reply box and hence not saved in a Preview.

Works for me.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:42 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Stay logged in

Centex. Post #5. Is correct.

To avoid being timed out ;
When you log in it gives you the option to stay logged in, Check yes and you would be able to spend as long as needed.

If you log in each time you visit the site it will time you out as most forums do.

And if you do not want to be logged in all the time then writing your draft on word, pages, notes or some other word processor and copy and paste to the forum is the best way.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 09:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've often timed out, usually because I've spent too much time searching through my photos. I just log in and then return to my post. Seems to work most times although I had the frustration of having to start again.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 08:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Click the Remember Me box before you hit the log in button.

If a post is going to be long and involved or simply take a long time to compose, use MS word or similar to compose the post then do a simple highlight, copy and then go to the forum in a different tab and paste it in. Verify that the paragraph spacing and such looks good, as it doesn't always come out right from MS Word to a forum, then hit send.

Charles
Old 03-24-2024, 05:15 AM   #12

I should have noted in Post #4 that I typically use a smart phone to read and post on this forum. I would add that I have taken to “select all and copy” periodically when composing a response so that if I “time out” or a glitch occurs I don’t lose it all. I can “paste” and pick up from the point where I last copied.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Click the Remember Me box before you hit the log in button.

If a post is going to be long and involved or simply take a long time to compose, use MS word or similar to compose the post then do a simple highlight, copy and then go to the forum in a different tab and paste it in. Verify that the paragraph spacing and such looks good, as it doesn't always come out right from MS Word to a forum, then hit send.

Charles
If you are logged in (and use the Remember Me button to stay logged in), the Preview Post button does all that for you. You can see your post as composed, format and edit it all right on the forum posting page AND it is saved every time you do a Preview Post so you can go back multiple pages simply with your browser's Back arrow button. I don't compose anything long on a smartphone so I don't know how useful this technique is on a small screen.

But whatever works. We have options.

We may all be preaching to the choir though, the original poster of this thread seems to have left angry and hasn't been seen on the forum for a week.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:56 AM   #14

Trailer: looking for another great egg
Okay....I am very computer and technically ignorant of how these work. If I am logged in on a forum and then shut down the laptop, am I still logged in?

thanks...jon
Kanoer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanoer54 View Post
Okay....I am very computer and technically ignorant of how these work. If I am logged in on a forum and then shut down the laptop, am I still logged in?

thanks...jon
You aren’t logged into that laptop when it’s turned off.

Next time you access the rvlife site from the laptop, you will automatically be logged in if you chose “Remember Me” the last time you logged into the site.

The top right bit says “welcome [your userid]” if you’re logged in.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanoer54 View Post

thanks...jon
If you clicked the "Remember Me" (or equivalent) box when you logged-in to the forum, then yes, you will effectively remain logged-in even when you shut down your laptop (or close your web browser).

I clicked "Remember Me" when I logged-in to this forum and several others. I shut-down my laptop nightly. The next (and every) day when I come back to this forum I am already logged-in, no worries.

Note however, this will not work if you have your laptop's browser set to block the cookies from the forum of interest (or set to delete the cookies upon closing your browser) - it's a cookie the forum installs on your laptop that tells the forum you are logged-in on that device.

If you access the forum on multiple devices (e.g. your phone in addition to your laptop), you must do this for each device (each device must have its own cookie installed to 'remember you' on that device).

Hope that helps / answers your question.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:33 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
That’s happened to me too many times! I’ve learned to select the text of my message and copy it before trying to post just in case I get logged out (as also suggested above).
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:36 AM   #18

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
You can always highlight and copy what you compose, log in, then paste what you copied into a post if you run into this situation again.
Use a word processor (Micro$oft Word or LibreOffice Write) to compose your entry (offline) and then log in and copy/paste into the post.

Hint: don't use the enter key when using the word processor; it generates an extra blank line during the copy/paste. Instead, use CTRL+enter in the word processor.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 12:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Lots of good suggestions!
Since I routinely block cookies, and do not stay logged in to anything, my solution is different.
When I have a long (time-wise) post: before I try to post it, I open another window and log on to the Forum, then when I actually post, it sees me in the 1st window as logged on, and accepts the post.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:48 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
The "remember me" button is the first line of attack but you should know that some browser and security settings can also impact this. We use cookies to keep you logged in and settings your system to purge cookies (no tracking) may affect your experieince.

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote