Crooked cabinets - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2024, 12:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Casita FD
Crooked cabinets

Hi. We recently purchased a 2021 21C, which we love. However, I have noticed that several of the upper cabinet doors do not hang level. Can’t tell if this was intentional or not. It appears that the hinges have slightly different angles. Anybody have experience with this?
Thanks!
Sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:31 PM   #2

Pic

This is what it looks like (upside down). Looks like I'm going to have to re-drill some new holes. Grrrr.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1961.jpg  
Old 03-25-2024, 01:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
Yes. My 2024 21NE F2 suffers from the same affliction. Oddly enough, when the doors are open, they are perfectly level.

I'm more bothered that the doors don't fully open to 90 degrees. The stock pistons are junk and I'm looking for alternatives which fully open the doors--and look better.

BTW, nothing in my trailer is "square" --I doubt yours is either. I'm choosing to not be bothered by it and just enjoy this massive new space over the 2021 Casita, which I just sold.
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 03:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
Yes. My 2024 21NE F2 suffers from the same affliction. Oddly enough, when the doors are open, they are perfectly level.

I'm more bothered that the doors don't fully open to 90 degrees. The stock pistons are junk and I'm looking for alternatives which fully open the doors--and look better.

BTW, nothing in my trailer is "square" --I doubt yours is either. I'm choosing to not be bothered by it and just enjoy this massive new space over the 2021 Casita, which I just sold.
I agree. We just sold our Casita as well, and am enjoying the extra acreage! Just wondering if there was a reason these were installed that way. Maybe, as you said, so they would be level when open.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
It looks like the hinges are both the same distance from the framing at the top. Maybe the cabinet is not level on the bottom?

It looks like it is above the kitchen, are they both crooked like that?
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
With these hinges a really easy tweak is to bend the hinges a wee bit. This was often done to adjust doors in older face frame cabinets that used the same hinges. Plugging existing holes and drilling a couple new ones a bit over is another real easy thing to do. Either process takes minutes.

This is not to say that a quick check when doing the final on the trailer would not be the best way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:10 PM   #7

Hi. I did take the cabinet door off today and tried to bend the hinge but it was more stout than I expected. Was worried I was going to destroy it in the process. It’s surprising that Escape didn’t do a final check to see something so obvious, since all the other workmanship in here seems really good. Which made me think that maybe there was a purpose for having them set that way, instead of just sloppiness.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
It looks like the hinges are both the same distance from the framing at the top. Maybe the cabinet is not level on the bottom?

It looks like it is above the kitchen, are they both crooked like that?
Both are a little crooked. This one is the worst. They both slope towards each other.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:13 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
I watched a finish carpenter installing cupboard doors once.
Two of them didn’t line up perfect. I harassed him a little and he said “easy fix”

He walked over opened the one door a little bit, hit the edge with the heal of his hand toward the hinge. The doors lined up perfectly. He didn’t even hit it that hard. I asked what do you do if it needs to go out? Open it slightly and just pull on it a little.

I’d install the door, open it a inch or so. Pull down a little on the right side and hit up on the lower edge on the left side. Start gently, Try once close the door and decide if you need to do it a second time.
Attached Thumbnails
D496577E-B902-4997-A612-ACFB6ECAB684.jpeg  
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It's not that they were really sloppy. I think that the spring loaded hinge might be a contributor.

I've noticed that if the door is held firmly in place while the holes are drilled and the screws are installed there's a bit of spring back that throws things off a tiny bit. I've taken great care when installing those hinges and still had a few end up not perfect.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
I watched a finish carpenter installing cupboard doors once.
Two of them didn’t line up perfect. I harassed him a little and he said “easy fix”

He walked over opened the one door a little bit, hit the edge with the heal of his hand toward the hinge. The doors lined up perfectly. He didn’t even hit it that hard. I asked what do you do if it needs to go out? Open it slightly and just pull on it a little.

I’d install the door, open it a inch or so. Pull down a little on the right side and hit up on the lower edge on the left side. Start gently, Try once close the door and decide if you need to do it a second time.
I've been tempted. Just don't want to compromise those screws into the cabinet. Not sure how tough that material is.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:31 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoran View Post
I've been tempted. Just don't want to compromise those screws into the cabinet. Not sure how tough that material is.
I understand,
Take the door off and install it on to a scrape piece of wood. Take a pencil and mark the edge of the door then do the hitting and pulling. Till it’s moved the amount you need. Then reinstall.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:35 PM   #13

Great idea. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2024, 06:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoran View Post
This is what it looks like (upside down). Looks like I'm going to have to re-drill some new holes. Grrrr.
I totally understand your disappointment. That would really bug me too.

Luckily you have a bunch of good suggestions for easy fixes here.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
I totally understand your disappointment. That would really bug me too.

Luckily you have a bunch of good suggestions for easy fixes here.
Indeed! Thanks to everyone for your excellent suggestions.