Dampness in Dinette - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019---21'
Dampness in Dinette

Help....after considerable rain storm I noticed some "dampness" on the seat/plywood support on our 21'. I removed the cushions and found small amount of water/dampness around the battery compartment. ETI suggested inspecting the roof where the solar panel, a/c, etc. All the seals appeared to be satisfactory. Some posts on the Forum suggest the "belly band", etc. and rivets might be to blame. Any other suggestions ??
k4zvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
It’s not the belly band. After joining the top and bottom they Fibreglass the inside joint. This was the biggest improvement over the 1970’s Trilliums.

I had a bit of water in my 2007 17B at the dinette. The window rubber dried up and was leaking. I removed the glass and used RTV sealant (automotive caulking, because it was black and I already had some) and that fixed that. I also had a leak at the 9x9 roof vent in the bathroom, I ordered a new roof vent and good to go.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
It’s not the belly band. After joining the top and bottom they Fibreglass the inside joint. This was the biggest improvement over the 1970’s Trilliums.
Uh, yes it could be the belly band. After the top and bottom are fiberglassed together, Escape drills through the shell to rivet the belly band on which creates a leak point.

If the rivet is not sealed, water can and has in the past intruded into the trailer.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Uh, yes it could be the belly band. After the top and bottom are fiberglassed together, Escape drills through the shell to rivet the belly band on which creates a leak point.

If the rivet is not sealed, water can and has in the past intruded into the trailer.
I thought they fixed that issue.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4zvu View Post
Help....after considerable rain storm I noticed some "dampness" on the seat/plywood support on our 21'. I removed the cushions and found small amount of water/dampness around the battery compartment. ETI suggested inspecting the roof where the solar panel, a/c, etc. All the seals appeared to be satisfactory. Some posts on the Forum suggest the "belly band", etc. and rivets might be to blame. Any other suggestions ??
I would check the tail lights to make sure they are sealed up ...that seems like the most likely spot based on where the water showed up.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

Thanks for the info.....pulled the rubber from the belly band and found "some" moisture; where the band bends around the corners at the rear of the Escape, found 2 holes where the rivets were missing. Correct if my thinking is incorrect, but it can't hurt if I put sealant on each rivet ??
Old 08-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I would check the tail lights to make sure they are sealed up ...that seems like the most likely spot based on where the water showed up.
checked the tail lights and found no moisture or signs of leaks....thanks anyway
Old 09-30-2022, 05:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 19'
Water leak on dinette cushion

Hi, In keeping with the water leak theme, I just went out to my 19 after a day or so of rain and discovered a wet spot on my cushion. I had known that the rain storm/wind was coming so the night before I went out and closed everything securely to include windows and vents. The water spot is on the front passenger side corner of the cushion. I could feel or see no evidence of water directly above the spot though that is obviously where it came from. I stuck my head in to the overhead cabinet and noticed some wetness on the inner lip,from the front corner to about mid cabinet. My bubble level indicates that the front is slightly higher. Perhaps the water came in around the small light on the outside corner? I notice that they are only caulked on the topside. Any ideas?
Timbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:20 PM   #9

I got some decent pictures that I tried to upload but I got an "Invalid file" explanation when it did not work. I will augment the caulking around the light but I cannot see where else the water might have gotten in. The seal around the big front window appears intact.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 2022 E19
My experience with RV's of all types is that exterior marker lights are notorious leakers.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have routinely drilled small drain holes in my exterior marker lights for water, seems to help.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:25 AM   #12

dampness in dinette

Thanks for your observations and suggestions. I will see now if I can remedy this issue. No rain in the forecast for awhile though so I will not know till it rains again if my efforts worked. My watertight illusions of the Escape Trailer are now shattered. I suppose that any spot that has something mounted on the outside is a potential leak spot. I love my 19 though.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo1 View Post
Hi, In keeping with the water leak theme, I just went out to my 19 after a day or so of rain and discovered a wet spot on my cushion. I had known that the rain storm/wind was coming so the night before I went out and closed everything securely to include windows and vents. The water spot is on the front passenger side corner of the cushion. I could feel or see no evidence of water directly above the spot though that is obviously where it came from. I stuck my head in to the overhead cabinet and noticed some wetness on the inner lip,from the front corner to about mid cabinet. My bubble level indicates that the front is slightly higher. Perhaps the water came in around the small light on the outside corner? I notice that they are only caulked on the topside. Any ideas?
I would check the weep holes on the side windows, Timbo1. A heavy rain or hosing while washing can overflow the window track and spill into the trailer. The cushions are a common victim! Routinely clean the window track and make sure the weep holes are free of debris. Good Luck!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:45 AM   #14

water in dinette

Another good suggestion. Thanks!