Dual Fuel Generator Propane Hookup? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2023, 04:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
To clarify your setup for me, you connect directly to a propane tank with the Champion supplied hose / regulator / demand regulator setup, not the low pressure QD port on the trailer?

If you watch the video above, the demand regulator can be separated from pressure regulator, and attached to a low pressure hose and run off the trailer's low pressure quick connect.

That's my short term plan. My long term plan is to run a second low pressure line to the rear of the trailer and add a quick connect there.

I have a generator box that I'm going to attach to the rear bumper, so I no longer need to have a luggage rack on in my rear receiver.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 10:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

If you watch the video above, the demand regulator can be separated from pressure regulator, and attached to a low pressure hose and run off the trailer's low pressure quick connect.

That's my short term plan. My long term plan is to run a second low pressure line to the rear of the trailer and add a quick connect there.

I have a generator box that I'm going to attach to the rear bumper, so I no longer need to have a luggage rack on in my rear receiver.
Yes, but I was wondering what GrassHog did since he did not specify....................

Hence, why I quoted him...

FYI - I run my old Honda eu2000i off the low pressure propane port with a Hutch Mountain conversion that allows me to use a low pressure QD and just the demand regulator, or a tank direct connection by adding in a pressure regulator. Very flexible setup. QD on all connections. Only required a 1/4 to 3/8 QD adapter for the ETI supplied 1/4 low pressure port.

And, that vid title is a bit misleading..........as you still need a propane tank, though using the RV/trailer's tank rather than a stand-alone.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 09:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 5.0
Yes, that is correct. I normally carry an extra bottle of propane just for the generator last a very long time I’ve never come close to running out of propane.
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 10:16 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Like Hawkeye Ed suggested and Grasshog does, I just bring a separate propane tank for my Firman dual fuel gennie. Not only does that allow me to avoid any of the work on conversions discussed in this thread, but then I also have more propane and one spare tank at all times...when one is empty I've got 2 full ones. Only downside is it takes up a little bit of space in my truck bed.

That works for me, but I could see how that wouldn't be ideal for some folks, for example if your tow vehicle is an SUV...
Old 07-13-2023, 01:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

I want to go the LP gas way(new Honda, has not had gas in it). I want to put it in a box in the rear(move spare up under the tongue, & hide the Gen., hold metal exercise pens on end in a rack(Closest to trailer side, to pull out), Gen. in a box with side louver vents that I can open for use in the rain?), & then a bike rack for one bike. I can't put much weight in bed of truck(Tacoma with a tall topper), & being able to get large/heavy things OUT of said bed, & most of the time staying hitched up. Have one "new" shoulder as is, other has been "talking" to me..........
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 10:25 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
That I can't help with, although I have found the specified 1665 running watts (on propane) is a little conservative. I was able to pull about 1800 continuous watts on propane without a problem.

FWIW, on my trailer, I installed a Victron Multiplus inverter. One of the nice features of that inverter is that it has a "power boost" function that automatically uses the batteries to provide any additional power beyond a configured shore power limit. So, when I'm running on my generator, I set the shore power limit to 15 amps, and anything above that (including AC startup) uses the batteries to provide the extra power.
As a data point, I was NOT able to run my AC with the Champion dual fuel 2500 on propane at 3500 ft elevation. I have the 13,500 coleman mach with soft start, and it was about 83 degrees outside. The compressor would not stay on. According to the manuals, the AC uses 1500 watts continuous, and at that altitude, the gen should produce that (barely). However, unless your batteries are at 100 percent, the converter is going to try to charge the batteries at the same time, and I think that put me several hundred watts over the generator rating. The generator never triggered an overload or anything, the AC compressor just refused to stay on. When I got home and plugged into shore power, the AC operated normally. I now have 2 2500's and a parallel kit. I tested that and it seems to work fine, and neither generator struggles. I think its very close to working with one generator, if you are at sea level, or running on gas, or have a smaller AC, you might be ok.
brjohnso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 10:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brjohnso View Post
............However, unless your batteries are at 100 percent, the converter is going to try to charge the batteries at the same time, and I think that put me several hundred watts over the generator rating. .............
And/or to try in this situation - cut your battery switch to "off" so your convertor/charger doesn't try to charge the batts and also have your fridge on propane.

The altitude may have just been to high though...........
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 07:29 AM   #28

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Honda EU2200i propane dual configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
FYI - I run my old Honda eu2000i off the low pressure propane port with a Hutch Mountain conversion that allows me to use a low pressure QD and just the demand regulator, or a tank direct connection by adding in a pressure regulator. Very flexible setup. QD on all connections. Only required a 1/4 to 3/8 QD adapter for the ETI supplied 1/4 low pressure port.
We run our EU2200i off the low pressure port, as shown in attached. Attached shows our 2200i and 2200i companion configuration. We have the Hutch Mountain conversion. They run smoothly. We upgraded to two 30 gal aluminum propane tanks to support the generators when we need them. Propane is the way to go, as we can carry the two Honda’s in our Sprinter van without any of the gas smell or danger.

73/gus
Attached Thumbnails
dual_EU2200i_20210826.jpg   low_pressure_port.jpg  
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote