Flexible Solar Panel Addition - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2023, 07:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Working on that for a 5.0
The BougeRV 100 watts was all I could find that fit.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0872.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 07:56 AM   #22

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
I bonded 3 flexible panels on my 19 in early spring of 2020. It has gone through 5 seasons which included a number of trips over a month duration and many shorter trips. It has seen thousands of kilometers on the road, storms, hail, salt spray, winter temperatures in the -30's (Celsius) and days in the +30's (again, Celsius). I don't cover the trailer in winter and in Calgary that means lots of snow and ice. I have had no disbonding at all. I like the very clean look and after looking at others with Eternabond I feel it is cleaner, nicer looking (not that you can see it if your not on a ladder), and it easier to remove the panel and old tape if it needs to be changed. Instructions are shown on 3M's site for removal.

I also had experience with using VHB tape for bonding on aircraft surfaces so I knew it would be strong enough, but also knew that proper surface preparation is very important. I wrote up my installation and procedures here:https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...9-a-17884.html

I think the Eternabond makes a strong bond and works well. I just liked the VHB tape better and am happy I went that way.
AM Solar uses 3M 4950. According to AM Solar, with 4950 there is a foam center layer that will absorb water and separate if not sealed. Improper prep and failure to seal is why many 4950 applications fail. I used Dicor to seal the tape, preventing water from being absorbed by the foam layer and then the two layers can separate.

I see you used 3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape 5952. 3M claims "creates a permanent seal against water, moisture, and more". AM Solar and I use 3M 4950. Wouldn't 5952 be a superior tape to use since it does not allow moisture to separate the two layers?

Do you seal from moisture after applying?

If so, what did you use for a sealant and how was it applied

Thanks,

Perry
Old 12-10-2023, 11:05 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Renogy, currently $159.99 CDN. On Amazon, $199

I think that I saw it for less in the last couple of weeks. I think that there's two levels of flexibility. For this kind of use the semi-flexible one is perfect.

Ron
I saw that the Renogy panels were on sale but they all look to large to fit on the hump of our 5.0

Neil
Flat Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:14 AM   #24

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Do you seal from moisture after applying?

If so, what did you use for a sealant and how was it applied
I selected the tape based on it's specs, and also called 3M and spoke to one of their customer support engineers. They use these types of tapes to bond cargo trailer panels together and put windows on buildings with no other sealants. I gave thought to sealing it but I thought it would be more difficult to remove and clean up if it is ever required. I don't believe it is required for 5952 tape. I did ensure the tape was tight together at the corners to not allow water in. As there has been absolutely no lifting, even with the multiple freeze-thaw cycles and wet conditions it has seen each year. I am confident it is fine without.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:21 AM   #25

Quote:
I bonded 3 flexible panels on my 19 in early spring of 2020. It has gone through 5 seasons which included a number of trips over a month duration and many shorter trips. It has seen thousands of kilometers on the road, storms, hail, salt spray, winter temperatures in the -30's (Celsius) and days in the +30's (again, Celsius). I don't cover the trailer in winter and in Calgary that means lots of snow and ice. I have had no disbonding at all. I like the very clean look and after looking at others with Eternabond I feel it is cleaner, nicer looking (not that you can see it if your not on a ladder), and it easier to remove the panel and old tape if it needs to be changed. Instructions are shown on 3M's site for removal.

I also had experience with using VHB tape for bonding on aircraft surfaces so I knew it would be strong enough, but also knew that proper surface preparation is very important. I wrote up my installation and procedures here:https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...9-a-17884.html

I think the Eternabond makes a strong bond and works well. I just liked the VHB tape better and am happy I went that way.
I read about yours's and Jim Bennet's install jobs earlier, did you pickup the panels down south as it seems LensunSolar does not ship to Canada.

Neil
Old 12-10-2023, 11:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Lander View Post
I read about yours's and Jim Bennet's install jobs earlier, did you pickup the panels down south as it seems LensunSolar does not ship to Canada.

Neil
They shipped them to me in Canada. I can't remember exactly how many days it took, but I was surprised how quickly they came. Everything came well packaged with no damage. Lenson actually contacted me and offered to pay me to share my installation description on their site, which I accepted.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:40 AM   #27

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
I saw that the Renogy panels were on sale but they all look to large to fit on the hump of our 5.0
The cell efficiency on Renogy's 100 watt flexible panel is only 15.7% whereas the efficiency of Lensun's rigid 100 watt panel is 22% or 40% greater output.

Lensun's 100 watt flexible's efficiency is 22% a far superior choice. For point of reference our 200 watt 24v Rich Solar rigid panels are 19.9% efficient, while lower than Lensun's panel, we're over paneled at 600 watts so a moot point for us.

However, with the Lensun length at 37" vs Renogy's 44.5" the Lensun should be able to fit the 5.0's hump.

Forget the Renogy flexible, 40% more efficiency and a shorter length with the Lensun panel is well worth any extra $$$.

However, I don't want a panel with only a 18v max operating and 21v short circuit, that will start later in the day and quit earlier in the afternoon. I don't like 2S2P, BUT they do make a 400 watt 24v panel that if I'd have known would have installed two on our Bigfoot last summer. Oh well!

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 12-10-2023, 11:44 AM   #28

Quote:
They shipped them to me in Canada. I can't remember exactly how many days it took, but I was surprised how quickly they came. Everything came well packaged with no damage. Lenson actually contacted me and offered to pay me to share my installation description on their site, which I accepted.
Did you phone them? When you go to through the order procedure Canada will not populate in their drop down.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
The cell efficiency on Renogy's 100 watt flexible panel is only 15.7% whereas the efficiency of Renogy's rigid 100 watt panel is 22% or 40% greater output.

Lensun's 100 watt flexible's efficiency is 22% a far superior choice. For point of reference our 200 watt 24v Rich Solar rigid panels are 19.9% efficient, while lower than Lensun's panel, we're over paneled at 600 watts so a moot point for us.

Forget the Renogy flexible, 40% more efficiency with the Lensun panel is well worth any extra $$$.

Plus, with the Lensun at 37" vs Renogy's 44.5" in length should be able to fit the 5.0's hump.

Food for thought,

Perry
Good info about the efficiency. I figured that the Renogy was to big, there are not to many flexible products out there that will fit.

Keep feeding me I have lots of room.

Neil
Old 12-10-2023, 12:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Did you phone them? When you go to through the order procedure Canada will not populate in their drop down.
As I recall I did everything on line, but I did email with them to query shipping times etc. I also had input from Jim Bennett who had ordered from them before.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:17 PM   #31

Quote:
As I recall I did everything on line, but I did email with them to query shipping times etc. I also had input from Jim Bennett who had ordered from them before.
Maybe I will have to give them a call.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:20 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
If you want to read more, see my flexible solar panel build thread, which turned into a hardy conversation after I had one of them tore off the roof.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ild-19984.html
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 12:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Maybe I will have to give them a call.
If I recall correctly, I ordered on the US site but they may have shipped from China. They came fast though, within shipping times quoter in an email.
Old 12-10-2023, 02:42 PM   #34

Trailer: Was 2011 17B, now Bigfoot 21
Just a heads up about my experence with Lensun. Others have had better luck then me though.

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 09:30 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I just looked at the Lensun website SALE page for solar panels and there seem to be some incredible discounts off their list prices. Whether they ever change the list price or not, I don't know.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:42 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
I just looked at the Lensun website SALE page for solar panels and there seem to be some incredible discounts off their list prices. Whether they ever change the list price or not, I don't know.
I also noticed that, but when you go to their checkout Canada is not recognized. I will have to contact them to see how to get their product up to the Great White North.
Old 12-11-2023, 12:18 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
I also noticed that, but when you go to their checkout Canada is not recognized. I will have to contact them to see how to get their product up to the Great White North.
In our neck of the woods, albeit somewhat closer to the US border than you are, some of us use parcel services or USPS post offices in US border towns to receive our US-origin deliveries.

A huge benefit is much reduced shipping fees. If one doesn't live too far from the border, even with driving across the line to pick up your stuff you can save on the high shipping costs to Canada. We're lucky here in Winnipeg that we are only an hour from a bunch of those services in Pembina, ND. I've never had any difficulty bringing anything back across the border and if the price tags add up to less than a few hundred dollars we often don't get even get charged Canadian taxes and there is never a duty fee. The border guards appreciate if you have all your receipts and are organized when you cross the border.

I recently needed some marker light lenses for the 5.0TA and they were super-cheap from pdxrvparts.com in the US, who do not ship to Canada. It wasn't worth a separate trip to pick up $7.80 package on it's own so I just waited until I had another order for something else.

You are further from the border in White City but something like this is a way to get things from the US if you want them badly enough.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:42 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

A huge benefit is much reduced shipping fees.

and if the price tags add up to less than a few hundred dollars we often don't get even get charged Canadian taxes and there is never a duty fee. The border guards appreciate if you have all your receipts and are organized when you cross the border.
Reduced or even free shipping if the address isn't in Canada.

It's great now that you can basically pickup stuff, drive to the border, declare it verbally and they wave you on. A great improvement to the old days when it would have meant a trip inside, fill out a form and pay money.

Yes, I have my receipts ready to show if asked. Also, for an item found on Craigslist, print off the ad showing the price. I've learned to do that.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM   #39

Quote:
In our neck of the woods, albeit somewhat closer to the US border than you are, some of us use parcel services or USPS post offices in US border towns to receive our US-origin deliveries.

A huge benefit is much reduced shipping fees. If one doesn't live too far from the border, even with driving across the line to pick up your stuff you can save on the high shipping costs to Canada. We're lucky here in Winnipeg that we are only an hour from a bunch of those services in Pembina, ND. I've never had any difficulty bringing anything back across the border and if the price tags add up to less than a few hundred dollars we often don't get even get charged Canadian taxes and there is never a duty fee. The border guards appreciate if you have all your receipts and are organized when you cross the border.

I recently needed some marker light lenses for the 5.0TA and they were super-cheap from pdxrvparts.com in the US, who do not ship to Canada. It wasn't worth a separate trip to pick up $7.80 package on it's own so I just waited until I had another order for something else.

You are further from the border in White City but something like this is a way to get things from the US if you want them badly enough.
We used to live 20 minutes away from Noonan ND if you were lucky enough you had an American P.O. Box or you shipped to the local bar. I forgot about those days.

Neil
Old 12-13-2023, 10:47 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Reduced or even free shipping if the address isn't in Canada.

It's great now that you can basically pickup stuff, drive to the border, declare it verbally and they wave you on. A great improvement to the old days when it would have meant a trip inside, fill out a form and pay money.

Yes, I have my receipts ready to show if asked. Also, for an item found on Craigslist, print off the ad showing the price. I've learned to do that.

Ron
When I lived 15 minutes away from the border and if the American Border Guard recognized you or your vehicle he waved you through without stopping, coming back into Canada was always a different story. That was about 40 years ago though hahaha.
Neil