Grease Gun Recomendation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2024, 08:20 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperClyde View Post
I would like to hear from anyone that has had a seal failure that allowed grease into the brake lining. A lot of postings on theory, not many on actual experience.

I have used the EZ-Lube system on several trailer for several years and have never had grease go into the brake lining.

Also, if you do use the EZ-Lube system the best grease gun I've ever used and owned is the Dewalt 20V MAX Lithium Ion Grease Gun DCGG571M1
I don't have first hand experience with grease seal failure. That being said, I would have to say the overwhelming majority of failures I have read and heard about on various forums are from folks blindly pumping grease in via an axle zerk fitting such as the E-Z Lube.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 09:45 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When we got the 21 home (it was used and 4 years old), I purchased new tires and took the wheels off to take to Goodyear. I thought “why not pull the drums and look at the brakes?” So I did. One seal had leaked and the grease was inside the drum however there wasn’t much grease and the brake dust had combined with the infusing grease and did not migrate to the face of the shoes or the inner faces on the drum. I used a narrow putty knife and a narrow harbor freight plastic chisel to clean the grease off of the mechanisms, serviced the bearings on all wheels, and replaced all the seals. I had not used a grease gun on the east lube feature and have not since. But to answer your question, yes I have seen one easy lube axle leak grease through a seal.

When I had oversight for the weekly mowing of 975 acres of turfgrass, we went through a lot of grease on the mowers. And a lot of bearings. Extreme wet weather seasons and mowing through low spots just to keep up, washed the pulley bearings and they failed. The ones that were hardest to grease failed most often. Lincoln came out with a cordless grease gun with a good long hose and a nice snap on fitting. I bought one on the advice of one of my mechanics. One of my old operators had a hard time reaching all the fittings on his mower. The electric gun helped him immensely. Some of the mowers and tractors had about 35 fittings that needed a shot of grease every day. Pretty soon the men and women mower operators were arguing who got to use the battery grease gun after the senior operator was done with it. By the time I left we owned 9 of those Lincoln’s, two for each shop and one at the 38 field soccer Complex. Bearing failures and front end maintenance on the tractors went way down.
The time and parts money saved, more than paid for the guns. And the operators were very appreciative.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-25-2024, 11:02 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

I would like to hear from anyone that has had a seal failure that allowed grease into the brake lining. A lot of postings on theory, not many on actual experience.
Lucky you. I've had several cases over the years where some grease had reached the brake linings. Just did a brake inspection this Spring and one lining was contaminated. It's happened enough that I now have cleaning and reuse down pat.

Years ago I used to pour gas on the lining and set it alight. Did that several times, scuffed it and it seemed fine for reuse. Never had a problem doing that.

Now I just wipe repeatedly with acetone until the towel stays perfectly white. Light scuff and it's good to go.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 05:25 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Lucky you. I've had several cases over the years where some grease had reached the brake linings. Just did a brake inspection this Spring and one lining was contaminated. It's happened enough that I now have cleaning and reuse down pat.

Years ago I used to pour gas on the lining and set it alight. Did that several times, scuffed it and it seemed fine for reuse. Never had a problem doing that.

Now I just wipe repeatedly with acetone until the towel stays perfectly white. Light scuff and it's good to go.

Ron
Great info, thanks
Old 04-27-2024, 11:19 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From MN View Post
Thanks all for the tips! To clarify, this year I'm not planning on pulling the bearings and packing them, I'm just gonna use the EZ lube feature of squirting in new grease until the old grease gets forced out. Next year I'll be re-packing them. So this year, I'll need a grease gun.
I normally use the EZ lube fitting on my trailer to repack my bearings annually. Done properly (one pump, spin the wheel, one pump, spin the wheel, etc.) you won't have an issue with blowing out the seal. The important thing is that the grease has a time to move between each pump. Those that experience blown out seals are pumping too fast to allow the grease to move. Most of the videos on YouTube except those actually from Dexter from people on how to use the EZ Lube fitting are wrong. Many show someone helping turning the wheel while they furiously pump the grease gun. This does NOT allow time for the grease to move causing the pressure at the back to increase and possibly causing seal failure and brake contamination.

That said, since you found loose wheel bearings, I would definitely pull those bearings to inspect them and then you might as well repack them before replacing them. For the wheels that didn't have loose bearings there isn't an issue using the EZ Lube fitting instead of pulling those bearings.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 12:54 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Inner bearing seal

As previously reported on the forum, on my 2016 E19, the inner bearing seals were glued in, apparently to prevent overzealous greasing from popping them out. Very good adhesive was used, and it took heat to soften it enough to remove & replace the seal.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:07 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
Quote:

I have used the EZ-Lube system on several trailer for several years and have never had grease go into the brake lining.
I had three of four wheels have seal failure resulting in grease on the brakes. My trailer has Dexter axles similar to the Escape axles, but without the easy-lube feature. As the axles were two years old at the time, I presume Dexter installed defective seals. New seals fixed the problem, and the brakes now work fine.
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
I have a Lisle bearing packer and a Snap-On that is also marketed by Gearwrench. You fill them with grease, and put the follower in and then the bearing and top cone. You either need to put it sideways in a vise, or an arbor press (thats me) or use your drill press (don't turn on) as an arbor press, or simply set it on the floor and throw a clean rag over it and step on it.

Bearing is full of grease and excess is perfect to wipe on the race and inside of he hub and seal, etc. Store it in a ziplock bag for next time. I don't have the Ez-lube axles and would not use them if I did.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-34550-H...dp/B0002NYDYO/

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-27.../dp/B0002NYDYE

Charles
Old Today, 07:20 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
I have a Lisle bearing packer and a Snap-On that is also marketed by Gearwrench. You fill them with grease, and put the follower in and then the bearing and top cone. You either need to put it sideways in a vise, or an arbor press (thats me) or use your drill press (don't turn on) as an arbor press, or simply set it on the floor and throw a clean rag over it and step on it.

Bearing is full of grease and excess is perfect to wipe on the race and inside of he hub and seal, etc. Store it in a ziplock bag for next time. I don't have the Ez-lube axles and would not use them if I did.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-34550-H...dp/B0002NYDYO/

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-27.../dp/B0002NYDYE

Charles
The video in the first link was really helpful in understanding how it works: fill it up with a grease gun (if you like), add bearing, push down, badda bing greased.

I'd always assumed the outside of the bearings would get packed with grease too but the video shows only the inside getting grease form the packer. I guess, as soon as the bearings turn the grease will circulate.