Help for a soon to be owner please. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2023, 07:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 21c
Help for a soon to be owner please.

Hi, we’re planning on buying a 21C but there are so many options. One question is about the windows. I like the frameless for more airflow but it appears that they cannot open on the awning side if the awning is down. Am I correct on that?
Thanks!
Mommoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommoves View Post
Hi, we’re planning on buying a 21C but there are so many options. One question is about the windows. I like the frameless for more airflow but it appears that they cannot open on the awning side if the awning is down. Am I correct on that?
Thanks!
Sorry I'm a little confused...nothing new. The sliders that come standard most people think have more air flow. If you really mean the frameless they only open 3 1/2 inches and yes you can't open the back side window or bathroom if you get that option.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Thanks!
If the manual awning is closed then you can not open the frameless windows with the awning arms in front of them. The windows can also break if you forget to close them before closing the manual awning.
We have the frameless windows and like the look. With a small modification you have them open more than twice as much. The actual square inches of window open space is very close between both types of windows however the frameless glass can block direct wind from blowing in.
Personally if I was ordering a new trailer it would definitely be with the manual awning, sliding windows (so they open with the awning shut) and the opening frameless rear windows. Also the kitchen window and bathroom window if not already included.
Good luck on your order.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
If the manual awning is closed then you can not open the frameless windows with the awning arms in front of them. The windows can also break if you forget to close them before closing the manual awning.
We have the frameless windows and like the look. With a small modification you have them open more than twice as much. The actual square inches of window open space is very close between both types of windows however the frameless glass can block direct wind from blowing in.
Personally if I was ordering a new trailer it would definitely be with the manual awning, sliding windows (so they open with the awning shut) and the opening frameless rear windows. Also the kitchen window and bathroom window if not already included.
Good luck on your order.
Lippert changed the window design in June 2022 you can move longer do the mod to make them open wider.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 06:25 AM   #5

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
During the build of our 21C they changed the emergency exit window design that eliminated the screen and ability to keep the window open for good airflow.

I called Lippert and ordered the original style emergency exit window with the screen and red handle window opening support since Lippert still makes this window here in the US.

The first one they sent had a slight bend in the frame lip so I called Lippert and they sent me another one.

Now I have an extra.

The window cost just over $500. The extra window is available for $250 if anyone is interested.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 07:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 21
While you can’t open them all the way, you can open them about 2 inches. To open them all the way, all one needs todo is extend the awning about 4 inches. When we are camped n not wanting to extend the awning all the way, we just extend about 2 ft. This give you a cover to be able to open your door n not get rained on if it’s raining
Old 07-22-2023, 07:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 21
Wish you were closer Willy I’d take it in a heartbeat
Old 07-22-2023, 01:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 21C
Like Eggscape, we opted the same. We have no complaints - have always had all the airflow we needed.
JazzDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 04:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 21c
Thanks so much for the input!
It sounds like I’ll get the same amount of air flow either way. That’s what is most important to us. May just go framed as it’s cheaper. We live in Utah so it rains about 5 minutes every once in a while.
Mommoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 11:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Willy, did ya drill some holes in the opening arm so that you can put a pin in it to keep it from being bumped and slamming closed? Also allows a variety of degrees of open.

I have learned that I shouldn't open that window until I have put down the stabilizer there. Banged my head a couple times before I figured it out. Lost a few brain cells, not that anyone will notice.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:42 AM   #11

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
While you can’t open them all the way, you can open them about 2 inches.

Wish people wouldn't say you can't open the window next to the awning arm because you can.

Our window next to the awning arm could be opened enough to give a great breeze. Didn't bother us. We loved our awning windows.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-23-2023, 11:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
Don't sweat the details too much. Just make sure you get an Escape of one type or another. You'll be so pleased, any option you didn't get will seem like small potatoes compared to having & using the Escape. I was sure I'd prefer awning windows, but I don't have 'em, and I haven't missed 'em yet.
Old 07-23-2023, 12:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 sold, 2024 Escape 21NE
At the rally in Osoyoos a couple months ago there were 2 trailers with new style acrylic windows. Carl said they would be an option by years end.
bouterse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 12:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
Sorry I'm a little confused...nothing new. The sliders that come standard most people think have more air flow. If you really mean the frameless they only open 3 1/2 inches and yes you can't open the back side window or bathroom if you get that option.
I have the awning windows and my bath window opens
Old 07-23-2023, 01:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouterse View Post
At the rally in Osoyoos a couple months ago there were 2 trailers with new style acrylic windows. Carl said they would be an option by years end.
Karl is gone so all bet's are off whether they'll be available as well as a retro-fit option for existing trailers.

The new management will likely make that decision.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 10:48 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Thanks!
I know that you asked about windows, but I recommend getting a 12V drop in at least 2 overhead cabinets; this allows you to add items later.

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 11:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Thanks!

I just picked my E19 up July 4th. I ordered Frameless windows & Kitchen & Bath ones too. NOW, on mine the Egress/ Exit window, STILL has screen & awning opening red handle. So the No screen is, maybe only for Sliding/standard windows. Yes, on E19, can't open the windows with a manual awning. ETI should just MOVE the "bedroom" one forward like TWO inches, & it could open? I rather have it very slightly off balanced to the Egress, & be able to open it!??
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:53 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Trials View Post

I just picked my E19 up July 4th. . NOW, on mine the Egress/ Exit window, STILL has screen & awning opening red handle. So the No screen is, maybe only for Sliding/standard windows.
No, the no screen is for all egress windows. Maybe your trailer was completed awhile ago before they switched to the new style egress window. A friends was just completed and picked and it has the new style window. One of the first mods that he had to do was installed a screen.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 11:36 AM   #19
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
I doubt they are available yet, but you might ask if they are offering the windows that Johnny Hung added to his Escape21C. Johnny installed them himself, and actually had to cut out the frame a bit, so not something for the faint of heart to do on your own.

BUT - I have to say the widows Johnny did install are super impressive! They are a combo, window, window screen, and light block (all three), with a high quality build. These may have been what Karl was promising by the end of the year, or they might have been something different (not sure). But Escape did express a lot of interest in finding a way to add these windows to the options list.

Worth an ask.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 03:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
No, the no screen is for all egress windows. Maybe your trailer was completed awhile ago before they switched to the new style egress window. A friends was just completed and picked and it has the new style window. One of the first mods that he had to do was installed a screen.

Ron

My E19 was completed 6/26/2023(FRAMELESS windows went in around 6/17/23 per photos). The egress Frameless IS a different window than the ones for the standard windows(on my 2013 E19). I picked my trailer up on the 4th of July. So maybe I got the last one! I had sent a check to Willy B for his. Expecting to have change it out. Not a big fan of AC.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote