How to add soft start to my A/C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2024, 07:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
How to add soft start to my A/C

I have a 2015 Escape 19. I’m thinking about adding soft start to the a/c to reduce the demand on the generator. I’m looking for recommendations on which kind to buy and the best way to install it. I don’t want to damage the trailer and I don’t know how best to work up on the roof. Any advice? Thanks, Ken
Traildad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I bought the micro air easy start and it works very well. My brother and I installed it. I have a ladder that got us up to the roof. It’s a little Giant. My brother layed on the roof after we removed the AC cover. From there we accessed the proper electrical configuration from the Micro air web site using the IPhone. Wired it in, ( I bought the wire kit, it was like $10) so we wouldn’t have to go hunting for parts.
Once wired in, we plugged into the garage electricity (20 amp circuit) with an adapter. Followed instructions for starting and stopping as provided while we cooled off with an icy 6 pack. It was a hot day. Once we finished the “learning” process we got out the Honda 2200i with a neutral bonding plug installed and fired it up. Plugged in the Escape and turned on the AC again. Worked fine and has since then. We did not walk on the roof and we kept the weight distributed. I stayed on the ladder, my little brother is the electrician.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-09-2024, 01:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Icy 6-Pack

It’s interesting that Micro Soft Start would put a 6-pack into their installation instructions. I once read a smoked brisket recipe from Jack Daniel’s. “Start fire, put on the seasoned brisket, close the BBQ lid, open a bottle of Jack, and start drinking. When the bottle is gone, the brisket is done!” Very similar to your soft start instruction!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Small Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
It’s interesting that Micro Soft Start would put a 6-pack into their installation instructions. I once read a smoked brisket recipe from Jack Daniel’s. “Start fire, put on the seasoned brisket, close the BBQ lid, open a bottle of Jack, and start drinking. When the bottle is gone, the brisket is done!” Very similar to your soft start instruction!
This was a small job, didn’t need more restorative liquid at the minute. Back in the late 60s my same brother had a 1950 Mercury Lead Sled. We had to put a clutch in it . So dropped the transmission replaced the clutch parts. Did not have a transmission jack and I could not press the transmission into place laying on my back under the car so Bruce could get a couple bolts in. Gave up. But we had two quarts of home made Piestengel (rhubarb wine) in the garage. We each drank a quart out in the cold garage. About 30 minutes later we both sensed the super strength that Piestengel can give you. Slithered back under the car lifted the three speed in place and finished the job in time for my brother to get cleaned up a get to his girlfriend’s house about two blocks away in plenty of time. I was about 19 at the time and he was 16. We’re older now. But as Willy says “ Still crazy after all those years.”
Iowa Dave
Old 02-09-2024, 08:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
On my Bigfoot I used a couple of Harbor Freight moving quilts and then put scraps of plywood on the quilts to spread out the load. There are two brands of the Easy Start/Soft Start and either one will work just fine.

My Dometic uses the cover as the top of the plenum for the condenser air. If the cover is not on, the A/C will not cool properly if at all, as air is not being pulled thru the condenser. I put a piece of plywood on the top to cover the plenum so it would function for the initial test. I also had to get a new foam seal kit as the old foam was rotten.

Oh yes, I have a scissor lift that I used to access it, that is how I got the pics from above, building is 21 ft at the peak.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Micro Air 1 initial set up to protect roof.jpg   Micro-Air-7-foam-kit-installed-ready-for-top-shroud.jpg   Micro Air 6 condenser covered with plywood for proper airflow during testing.jpg  
Old 02-10-2024, 07:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Direct links to equipment and threads with installation information. Myron did a video in the second thread.

https://www.microair.net/collections...r-conditioners
https://www.microair.net/products/ea...stallation-kit

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...1-a-15968.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...art-18433.html
Old 02-10-2024, 07:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Thanks for the great info and recommendations. I like the moving blanket idea as I was concerned about damaging the surface. I feel much more confident about this project. Thanks again.
Traildad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
I like to lay a 2' x 2' piece of the dense pink 1.5" styrofoam down with a piece of plywood on top of it when I need to get on the roof.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote