I still get confused with the Battery Bypass Switch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Years ago my wife asked what I was doing when I was using a stud finder. I explained it was called a stud finder and she said she wouldn't mind having one of those.
All I can say is
Ouch! That hurt someone. I learned in sensitivity training that you were supposed to say that if you could imagine a comment made by someone in the presence of others was offensive. The final test was being hit alongside the head with a 2x4 for us slightly less sensitive types.
Feel that? She asked.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I labeled the switch to make it very clear what each position does.
I like the idea of clear labels, but do "12V power on" and "12V power off" really describe the functionality? With shore power connected and thus the converter powered, "12 volt" DC power is available to everything regardless of the switch position.

What the switch does is connect or disconnect the battery from the most of the trailer (the converter and everything connected to the DC fuse panel). The disconnection is used to prevent unwanted battery discharge while in storage. So the two positions are:
  • switch on = battery connected = normal use
  • switch off = battery disconnected = storage
Commercially available switches for this purpose are routinely labelled "Use" and "Store".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequimteeth View Post
Thank you. Such a silly ? I asked, as there are just two positions for the switch.
I don't think it's a silly question, and it's a question that has come up many times in this forum.

One reason that the operation of a "simple" two-position switch causes so much confusion is that there are several possible situations to be considered: storage with the trailer plugged in, storage with the trailer not plugged in, trailer with solar, trailer without solar, towing, camping... If you understand what the switch actually does, it's easier to understand which position it should be in.

Another reason for the confusion is that some items in the trailer are not connected where one might reasonably expect, and not all Escape trailers are the same.
  1. The switch does not have enough current capacity to handle the power used by a large inverter, so the optional inverter is connected directly to the battery, not through the switch... this means that the switch makes no difference to the inverter, even though it turns off power to most things (if the trailer isn't plugged into outside power).
  2. The optional solar system charge controller is normally connected directly to the battery, not through the switch, so that the solar panels can keep the battery charged even with the switch in the off/disconnected/storage position.
  3. The breakaway system to power the electric brakes in an emergency should be connected directly to the battery, so the use/store switch shouldn't matter, but in some models and years the breakaway system may go through the switch.
  4. The optional electric tongue jack may be (depending on model) connected directly to the battery, not through the switch, just because of where it is and where connections are conveniently available. If so, the jack will still work regardless of the switch position.
  5. Some older Escapes (perhaps only 17' and 19' models with a single battery outside) didn't even have the switch.
  6. The switch is usually installed so that on=battery connected=use is up... but sometimes that's the down position.
  7. Various labels - including no label at all - have been placed by the switch by Escape.

Quote:
I can't seem to remember what position the Battery Bypass Switch should be in
I suggest not thinking of it as a "bypass" switch, because it doesn't actually bypass anything; it's not like the plumbing bypass around the water heater, or a bypass road around a city... it just disconnects a wire.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Funny story.

I have a bad habit of leaving tools where I last used them and my wife picks up after me by putting the tools away. She hates "mess".

I needed my stud finder and after searching everywhere for it and couldn't find it, I asked my wife if she knew where it was. Well, after explaining what it looked like, she said - no, I haven't seen it.

So down to the local hardware store to buy another one to be able to finish my project. Laid the tool down after using it, my wife picks it up and put it away in a drawer right next to the old one.
That is hilarious! Totally something my wife would do too. What she calls "tidying" I call "hiding"!
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #24

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Hope this clears things up!
I find the terminology for that switch confusing, even in Escape's own videos. Too many double negative possibilities: if it's on, then the battery is disconnected, so it's off, right? So if it's off, its's on? A better label is a good idea.

Also, I discovered that the power jack works with the batteries disconnected at the switch (ie with the switch on!), but not with the battery terminal taken off. I wondered about the breakaway emergency brake switch, but I didn't test it. It would seem sensible to have it operate whatever the position of the disconnect switch. Has anyone tested that? Also just occurred to me that taking out the batteries to store at home, and then towing to storage is a bit dangerous, as although the lights and trailer brakes might work off the vehicle plug-in, that would get disconnected if the trailer came detached, so you'd have no brakes. I almost did that, but couldn't operate the jack with my drill, not enough torque. Was hoping to use strong teenager to do the battery lifting at home, rather than work around his very busy schedule to get him to come with me to the storage place.
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #25

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Another reason for the confusion is that some items in the trailer are not connected where one might reasonably expect, and not all Escape trailers are the same.[LIST=1]... the optional inverter is connected directly to the battery, not through the switch... this means that the switch makes no difference to the inverter, even though it turns off power to most things (if the trailer isn't plugged into outside power).[*]The optional solar system charge controller is normally connected directly to the battery, not through the switch, so that the solar panels can keep the battery charged even with the switch in the off/disconnected/storage position.[*]The breakaway system to power the electric brakes in an emergency should be connected directly to the battery, so the use/store switch shouldn't matter, but in some models and years the breakaway system may go through the switch.
Great explanation list!
I found out the hard way that my inverter was directly connected to the battery, and was pleased to figure out about the solar panel.
Without having a mishap which would test it, how can I tell if the breakaway electric brake is directly connected to the battery or not? Seems a tad important
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
Without having a mishap which would test it, how can I tell if the breakaway electric brake is directly connected to the battery or not? Seems a tad important
You are supposed to test the breakaway switch before towing to ensure it is working. The Owner's Manual indicates how to do this. Simply modify the test with another iteration that includes the battery cut-off switch "off" or disconnecting power. Depending on whether the trailer brakes engage or not you'll then know if the breakaway switch is wired through the cut-off switch or not.
Attached Thumbnails
breakaway1.JPG   breakaway2.JPG  
Old 10-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #27

My goodness! - Thank you!
Old 10-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
My goodness! - Thank you!
No problem. It's very easy once you do it. Just remember to make sure you do NOT have the 7-pin umbilical plugged in to the tow vehicle. It risks damaging the brake controller.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:47 AM   #29

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2020, 05:25 AM   #30

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Thanks!
Okay this is driving me crazy. May I please ask you about your name.

sumac.rhus Common name. botanical name. Why? Did you want to give us a hint about species? Typhina?

The image (which is nice) is not of a Sumac.

I have been wondering about this all morning.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #31

Hi Tim
I have some typhinia Laciniata, some copalinium and some lanceolata in a planting at the edge of one of my garden plots. The Laciniata put up a root sucker over 20 feet from the planting in the middle of a lilac this year. The color down there is exquisite at this time. The deer are big fans and work it over each year but it keeps on coming back. My Latin is rusty, been 50 years since I took L.A. 210 and 211 at Iowa State under Bob Dyas and Gary Hightshoe. Look up information on these two fine professors, both significant contributors and good Americans. Not long now until the Hamamelis virginiana is in bloom.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Tim
I have some typhinia Laciniata, some copalinium and some lanceolata in a planting at the edge of one of my garden plots. The Laciniata put up a root sucker over 20 feet from the planting in the middle of a lilac this year. The color down there is exquisite at this time. The deer are big fans and work it over each year but it keeps on coming back. My Latin is rusty, been 50 years since I took L.A. 210 and 211 at Iowa State under Bob Dyas and Gary Hightshoe. Look up information on these two fine professors, both significant contributors and good Americans. Not long now until the Hamamelis virginiana is in bloom.
Iowa Dave

I got my degree in Landscape Architecture in 1981 under Professor Gene DeTurk at Purdue U. I would like to see the deer working over the Laciniata, if it is brilliant red. There were a lot of great professors in the Midwestern universities in those days. One of our flunk out classes was Hort 317, Woody Ornamentals. Brutal memorization. Our witch hazel bloomed a month ago.

I forget Latin too even thou I have two years of it in College, and learned to speak it.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
skunkbush sumac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post

sumac.rhus Common name. botanical name. Why? Did you want to give us a hint about species? Typhina?

Rhus trilobata, common name skunkbush sumac, is a widely distributed native shrub in our area.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #34
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:

I can't seem to remember what position the Battery Bypass Switch should be.
I had the same problem. To me this is a double-negative. To be more clear I think it should be just plain "Battery Switch" and the battery is either on or off. Bypass would mean it is bypassing the battery. Know wonder I am confused!

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #35

I had visions of reworking some landscape in my back yard this fall but with derecho damage and the cleanup along with a couple other challenges related to the storm it will probably have to wait till spring.
I bought three wisteria on a nursery clean out sale and planted it. I didn’t get it moved to where I really wanted it and now it’s like kudzu down there. Waiting till the leaf fall and then we will see.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post

Only because you asked :
My name is Susan McGovern. An early beau called me Sumac. No species clarification. *For years my joke pointed to clarification of genus, asking "poison or not?" (Toxicodendron vernix vs. Rhus). The nickname stuck, but as the internet grew, there came to be competition for*the user ID sumac. Though I'd long identified with the ambiguity, I decided to take advantage of redundancy while appealing to my*better nature.

I DO enjoy coming across the plants, and have often contemplated planting a few varieties, but shy from it related to some having quite the reputation for suckering. As much as I love gardening and my informal attempts at landscaping, am not sure if I want to add that to my list of challenges, (including keeping it from my neighbor's farm fields.)

(Sorry - The oriental poppy picture has little significance - just a happy flower in my garden.)
Old 10-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #37

In Iowa, growing up Czech, the old timers just couldn’t accept the pronunciation of sumac, simple as it was. So about 50% of the time it was pronounced “shoe mack” don’t hear it much anymore. Nor do I hear “all het up”. side by two, piss ell-um, and “pie sen oak” or ivy or “shoe mack”. Probably just as well.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Only because you asked :
My name is Susan McGovern. An early beau called me Sumac. No species clarification. *For years my joke pointed to clarification of genus, asking "poison or not?" (Toxicodendron vernix vs. Rhus). The nickname stuck, but as the internet grew, there came to be competition for*the user ID sumac. Though I'd long identified with the ambiguity, I decided to take advantage of redundancy while appealing to my*better nature.

I DO enjoy coming across the plants, and have often contemplated planting a few varieties, but shy from it related to some having quite the reputation for suckering. As much as I love gardening and my informal attempts at landscaping, am not sure if I want to add that to my list of challenges, (including keeping it from my neighbor's farm fields.)

(Sorry - The oriental poppy picture has little significance - just a happy flower in my garden.)

Thank you.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:33 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Someone stated earlier "The optional solar system charge controller is normally connected directly to the battery, not through the switch, so that the solar panels can keep the battery charged even with the switch in the off/disconnected/storage position."

So I have a question. We have a 5 year old trailer with solar and new batteries. A few things have happened recently which makes us think we might have a battery drain problem. This is one of them: We returned from a trip where we were on shore power. I assume the batteries were fully charged after this. Put the trailer in outside storage, no cover, and set the switch to off/disconnected/storage position. Today a week later I look and the battery appears to be only 1/3 charged. It's been mostly sunny since then, and the solar panel appears to be doing it's job (showed 13.18 going to the battery). I would have expected it to still be fully charged.

Is it reasonable to drop so much after just 1 week? If not, what could be draining the battery while it's sitting idle? I wish I had checked before putting it in storage. Any chance something might be draining the battery while driving home (was about a 3 hour trip).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8270a.JPG  
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:04 PM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
We returned from a trip where we were on shore power. I assume the batteries were fully charged after this. Put the trailer in outside storage, no cover, and set the switch to off/disconnected/storage position. Today a week later I look and the battery appears to be only 1/3 charged. It's been mostly sunny since then, and the solar panel appears to be doing it's job (showed 13.18 going to the battery). I would have expected it to still be fully charged.

Is it reasonable to drop so much after just 1 week? If not, what could be draining the battery while it's sitting idle? I wish I had checked before putting it in storage. Any chance something might be draining the battery while driving home (was about a 3 hour trip).
It's charging, and it's at 13.8 volts (supplied by the solar system); what makes you think it's only 1/3 charged? If you're going on the voltage while charging... that's not a useful indication of battery charge, and is likely the result of the solar charge controller logic choosing that voltage. To see what the battery's state of charge really is (without resorting to testing the electrolyte with a hydrometer), you would need to disconnect the solar charge controller from the battery, then let the battery rest disconnected for a while, then look at the battery voltage.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote