I want to GPS chip my trailer - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB
Having had one enclosed car trailer stolen, I looked into getting a tracker. The problems I saw were
1: GPS based trackers MUST have a clear view of the sky to be accurate.
2:Cellphone based trackers NEED to "see" THREE cell towers to get an APPROXIMATION of location (MUCH less accurate than a GPS unit). When I ran this test with the iPhone I had, "Find My Phone" was at least a QUARTER MILE off and on the WRONG SIDE of a rail line!
3: MOST tracker units just DON"T have the power or good antennas needed to do a RELIABLE job.
4: Professional thieves use BLOCKING TECHNOLOGY to prevent trackers from doing their job.
5: Professional (and some non-professional thieves) have a BUILDING nearby where they bring the stolen trailer to so that it is out of sight. After some time, a stolen trailer can be taken out of state,"re-vinned" and easily sold and registered (states pay VERY little attention to trailers).

After considering all of the above, I decided NOT to bother with a "solution" that really didn't solve the problem. Make sure your TRAILER ITSELF is covered by theft insurance (not covered just by the tow vehicle's insurance). Ask your agent if you'd get a discount for installing a tracker (I doubt you'd get a discount which would tell you how much insurers think of this technology). It's your trailer, your money so, YOU get to decide if you'd have increased peace of mind by using a tracker. IF the tracker you chose could be returned for a FULL REFUND in say 30~90 days; buy, install and TEST said purchase. Have a trusted friend / family member take your "protected" trailer for a drive. After say 30 minutes, see if the device you bought will bring you RIGHT TO your "stolen" trailer. Repeat this test several times (ideally taken to areas with DIFFERENT conditions, say under trees or an overpass, in a busy parking lot like WallyWorld etc). Then, you can decide if the tracker you bought is doing what you want it to do and is worth the money and hassle of buying and installing it.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have had several burglaries occur at out buildings we’ve owned and had property stolen
We have also had some of the stolen property recovered by law enforcement
Many of the pieces of the recovered property were in such poor / damaged condition that they were basically useless . From my experience, if someone stole my Escape , I am not sure I would want it recovered . Taking the insurance money and buying a replacement often works out better . Haggling with an insurance company over the value of a recovered item
is a PITA and not worth my time or effort. IMHO

* We did have our dog chipped *
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Roof top graphic

Not a solution, but I recall a Casita owner who had painted or applied in some fashion a large identification number on top of his rig, to aid in stolen recovery. I see school buses do something similar, as well as some emergency vehicles.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yes I will be marking the top of my trailer...it is long over due project. Our local police helicopter flys around all the time doing different projects. This will give them the opportunity to spot it behind a barn or warehouse of which they could not approach legally by ground without a warrant.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #45

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
I haven't seen anyone mention Lo-Jack. It's expensive, but a lower price can be negotiated. It's a one-time install (battery lasts 8-10 years they say), and no annual fee. If vehicle stolen, call Lo-Jack then local police. Trailer will be found. I never thought of it until the dealer pre-installed Lo-Jack on my new F-150. I told dealer I didn't ask for it, take it off for $695. Dealer said how about we charge you "dealer cost" of $495. I thought why not. I called Lo-Jack and asked can you put one on my travel trailer. Answer was yes, however has to be done at Lo-Jack installer, which is 90 miles from me. I'm still thinking about it, however Lo-Jack seems simpler than cell phones and GPS trackers that need power.
Maybe someone has more experience with Lo-Jack than I do.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:23 PM   #46

Not a fan.

This was created long ago before much else was available. A LoJack receiver in a police car can not be more than 3-5 miles away. The question is how many police cars are still equipped with this old system and on the road at any given time in North America. The chances of one being within 3-5 miles of your stolen trailer I think is slim to non.

When it first came out there were very few police cars equipped with such a system because of the complicated antenna system. Good for a big department like LA but not something that every department got.

Make some inquiries with your surrounding police agencies to see if they even know what you are talking about.

A few words from Wikipedia

“The command activates the LoJack unit to start sending out signals to LoJack police tracking computers on board some police cars. Every police car so-equipped within a 3-5 mile radius of the signal source will be alerted.”

Old 01-09-2021, 08:39 PM   #47

I know a Nevada Highway Patrol Sergeant. I'll ask him. Thanks for replying. I didn't have a choice in the F-150 but I do in my Escape.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:01 PM   #48

Great...I would be interested in hearing what he had to say.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:49 AM   #49

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
So would I!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #50

I spoke with my Nevada State Trooper friend today. He said LoJack is a regional system. Although he had the system installed in his patrol car, he doubted it would work 85 miles East of Las Vegas, where we live. He also doubted it would work 45 miles West of St. George, Utah, where we live. If he was in Las Vegas or St. George and trying to find a vehicle, he would be able to. Sounds to me like LoJack is not worth the cost in light of we probably won't be camping in a large city.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #51

Thanks for the update.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:20 PM   #52

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
As with a few others that have posted, we have Spot in our trailer. The nice thing about it is that Dirk can see where I'm at on my travels, since he's usually home and I'm out and about with the trailer. One time the mapping was so good on the phone app that he was able to see which lane I was in for when I dumped the tanks at a rest stop after vending (and dry camping) at a craft show in Ocean Shores WA. Dang!

A friend that I visit in Coos Bay OR added the app to her phone (along with our password, etc) so she can see how close I am to getting in. Usually I stay at Sunset Bay SP which doesn't have any cell coverage so I can't call to say "I'm here".

It's really nice to know two people are tracking my route. Gives me some added security and comfort. Especially when I was white knuckling it on the way home from Coos Bay after many parts of Oregon were flooded a few years ago. Dirk knew I was safe as long as the trailer was still moving.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote