I want to GPS chip my trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I want to GPS chip my trailer

Hi Guys and Ladies:

Does anyone have suggestions on placing a GPS chip somewhere in or on their trailer?

Does anyone use one now? What kind? And where do you put it? Do you put it where the sun shines? (Just a little trailer humor there).

Can you track on your phone?

As always, thank you.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
May I ask: "Why?" or "What's the objective (purpose)?" or "What's the anticipated benefit?"

Not at all to set up an argument, just genuinely curious.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I would say higher the better. I think I would place one above the fridge so the metal of it did not get in the way. Also there is plenty of power at the fridge supply to tap into. However keep it to the drivers side to avoid a coverage shadow from the air conditioner or solar panel if you have them.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
We used a Spot Trace while we were full timing. It's a small device that's easy to hide. We just put it under some clothes in one of the upper cabinets. It will alert you if it moves and can show where it is every 5 minutes. The service started out at $100 per year but when it was time to renew they bumped it up to over $200 per year. We had stopped full timing and didn't need it anymore so I declined to renew. Then they said we'll drop it to $100 as a special deal. I still declined since we didn't need it. It worked fine and I was glad I had it since the trailer was our home.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
May I ask: "Why?" or "What's the objective (purpose)?" or "What's the anticipated benefit?"

Not at all to set up an argument, just genuinely curious.

Yes you may!

We had an issue with our Dometic electric awning. It looks like the main board went out and it might be a known issue. Anyway they are replacing it under warranty.

Right now Dometic is running about 6 weeks out on replacement parts. Not knowing this I left my trailer with the people fixing it, until this became obvious. They are very gracious. But the neighborhood is not the best. So I picked it up. It will have to go back for a while and be out of my sight and not in a locked environment. It will be on a fifth wheel lot with other trailers. But I want to know where it is when not with me.

One time while waiting for a computer repair to get done (when I didn't do them myself), I stopped by a demonstration computer on the showroom floor and just did a quick directory scan. Low and behold, all my files came up. I confronted them and they admitted to copying my files. Busted, right there. People do crazy things. They do!

So I would like to know what it costs to chip.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 19'
We took an old cell phone and hid it behind the lower front wall panel which is accessible from under the dinette seat cubby. To keep it powered we ran separate charger line.
To track it we can use the find a phone app on our current cell phone. Since the phone uses no data there is no cost to keep it active.
The reason we did this is because we use the trailer for winter skiing. We often leave the trailer unattached while we are off to the slopes with the tv.

Ken
Dee08802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
.... It will have to go back for a while and be out of my sight and not in a locked environment. It will be on a fifth wheel lot with other trailers. But I want to know where it is when not with me.
So I would like to know what it costs to chip.
Gotchya, thanks, hope you find a workable solution (and good luck with the awning!)
Old 12-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #8

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee08802 View Post
We took an old cell phone and hid it behind the lower front wall panel which is accessible from under the dinette seat cubby. To keep it powered we ran separate charger line.
To track it we can use the find a phone app on our current cell phone. Since the phone uses no data there is no cost to keep it active.
The reason we did this is because we use the trailer for winter skiing. We often leave the trailer unattached while we are off to the slopes with the tv.

Ken
Clever.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
As already discussed, the GPS feature is just one part of the device, and it does you no good at all unless the device also has a way to communicate with you.

It's not just a "chip", so it will be a significant size, and it will need power. Keeping whatever device you choose powered is a consideration for both the device (something designed to run for months on a battery versus something that needs continual power), and the location (wiring power to it, and/or easy access to take it out for charging and replacement).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee08802 View Post
To track it we can use the find a phone app on our current cell phone. ...

Ken

I have to ask maybe an obvious question, does your old cell phone still have a phone number? If your phone number was ported from the old cell to your new cell then the old doesn't have a phone number anymore, I am just wondering if that's the case what phone id you need to enter in the find a phone app to make the app work. I think it's a great app and I have a couple of old cell phones lying around but I am curious how it can work if the old cell phone doesn't have a number anymore which is my case. TIA!
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
I have to ask maybe an obvious question, does your old cell phone still have a phone number? If your phone number was ported from the old cell to your new cell then the old doesn't have a phone number anymore, I am just wondering if that's the case what phone id you need to enter in the find a phone app to make the app work. I think it's a great app and I have a couple of old cell phones lying around but I am curious how it can work if the old cell phone doesn't have a number anymore which is my case. TIA!
It doesn’t need a phone number as long as location services are turned on and the phone is powered on and the finder app is configured to recognize it.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
And the tracking app is also installed in the phone to be tracked and consent is given to the spying phone number. That would work.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 E19
Uncle Tim: "I want to chip this trailer!"
Trailer: "I'm sorry, Tim, I can't let you do that."

Two thousand twenty, an Escape odyssey....
Old 12-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
I use a spot trace. You can see the location easily on your cell or computer. It works well. I mounted the unit in the top of a cabinet next to the front. You have to stretch to see it. I pay more in insurance every year than the unit cost per year, and I know exactly where my trailer is.
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Uncle Tim: "I want to chip this trailer!"
Trailer: "I'm sorry, Tim, I can't let you do that."

Two thousand twenty, an Escape odyssey....
You can do anything you set your mind to. The real question is how much does it cost?

I don't think a cellular solution is right for us, since we don't get phone reception anyway most of the time. This seems like it needs to be a true GPS solution. I would only need this once in a while.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
You can do anything you set your mind to. The real question is how much does it cost?

I don't think a cellular solution is right for us, since we don't get phone reception anyway most of the time. This seems like it needs to be a true GPS solution. I would only need this once in a while.
If you want a tracking device to work without cell coverage, about the only option I can thing of is a satellite based system such as the Spot system. The various GPS systems would be good for locating your trailer, but you need some way to get the coordinates to you (or the authorities).
Old 12-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you want a tracking device to work without cell coverage, about the only option I can thing of is a satellite based system such as the Spot system. The various GPS systems would be good for locating your trailer, but you need some way to get the coordinates to you (or the authorities).

Exactly!
Old 12-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #18

Question just brainstorming ...

Inspired by the 'old phone' posts above.

I'm not at all a phone / tracking expert, but brainstorming about the limited need of Uncle Tim just throwing this out for evaluation / comment by those smart about such ....Is there a way to parlay these (or similar) into meeting Uncle Tim's short-term need without the up-front expense and commitment term that goes with the undoubtedly much more sophisticated and feature-laden "Spot Tracker" solution? I.e. set-up a cheap 'burner phone' with the app and stash it in the trailer, then 'track' using his 'keeper' phone (and let the 'burner phone plan' lapse when done)?

Like I said, I don't know the answer - just throwing this out as a (perhaps dead-end) brainstorm for others to build-on or say: 'Nope, silly idea, not a practical solution for Uncle Tim'.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I think if I was going to consider a Spot device that I would pay the little extra and get the spot where you can push a button and get help. This way if you are out of cell range and someone has a medical emergency at a camp site you may also be able to save a life. Also cheap insurance if there are some armed undesirables outside trying to get in. Speaking of insurance...maybe some companies offer a reduction in insurance if you can prove you have a tracking/recovery device installed.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #20

"Spot" is a great device, very well-known and widely used in the motorcycle touring community of which I've been a participant.

Probably about the best of the available options but just be aware it's not a 100% always assured emergency contact / help device. There have been more than a few instances related on MC touring forums where 'satellite sight-line' or other issues have precluded successful receipt of emergency signals at all or very inaccurate locating for rescue due to inability to secure enough satellite contacts for good triangulation.

Obviously these are circumstance / location-specific issues and likely relate to the technology at-large not just "Spot" per se. One just needs to be aware that it's not a 100% 'foolproof' thing (but then, what is?).

Just for fun, here's one example of what can be tracked with "Spot" - this being an animation of all of the rider-tracks during the 2019 Iron Butt (R) Rally.