Location - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2023, 07:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Perhaps I doth complain too much but I am sick and tired of being asked if I will allow the Escape Owners Forum to use my current location. I read the reason when this practice was instituted but it is none of the Forum’s business to know where I am. The website’s programmer should be able to add “permanently opt out” to the pop-up that asks “Allow or Don’t Allow.” I’m sure I’m not the only member who finds this annoying.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:48 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Perhaps I doth complain too much but I am sick and tired of being asked if I will allow the Escape Owners Forum to use my current location. I read the reason when this practice was instituted but it is none of the Forum’s business to know where I am. The website’s programmer should be able to add “permanently opt out” to the pop-up that asks “Allow or Don’t Allow.” I’m sure I’m not the only member who finds this annoying.
I've never been asked, not once. But I'm on a laptop, not a phone if that makes a difference. I also use NordVPN. I do know in my iphone settings I could decide if any app could use my location. None do except the weather apps.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My iPad and phone ask me often, and it is annoying because in my settings I say no. I figure it’s part of the price of using the forum.
Old 11-26-2023, 08:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
I rather enjoy saying no.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 08:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Me too! Each time I login from my desktop I am prompted with that question. On my iPhone too. I wonder why some of us get that and others don't? No matter, the outcome of providing a "yes" response is the website owner selling that info to an advertiser somewhere. I would be a happier camper if I could opt out of all that. It's bad enough that Google ads follow my every internet move!
Old 11-26-2023, 09:40 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
It’s the price of a free lunch.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 11:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
It is interesting for sure, I can't ever recall being asked on a chromebook or andriod phone in the past 6 years.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"Recte complaina-ditto, neminem timeas." (When complaining, fear no one.)
Old 11-26-2023, 11:45 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've never been asked, but for anyone that cares it's Barbados.

No Escapes here.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 01:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 E19
I get asked all of the time. I'm only 4,000' from an RV Park in the bed of the Hassayampa River. I'm on a 'Hard DSL' line, so any test that I submit to will only antagonize the folks at the park who think that the speed rating is bogus. Just doing my part for those who "rely on the kindness of strangers"--request is denied.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 02:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
This is a browser settings problem. As a programmer myself, I can say that the web site just asks for the location and either gets it or not. It's up to the browser to nag or to remember a previous response for you.

Running Chrome on my Macbook, the browser remembers my selection as shown in this screenshot. Note the "Location" switch is turned off.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.png  
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 02:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
All browsers are different but at least in MS Edge settings>cookies and site permissions>location, there's an option to "Ask before accessing (recommended)" or "Block" location. I toggled that to "Block" long ago, not sure if that bears on this issue, but I've never seen a request for location on this (or any other) website on my Windows / Edge PC.

On my iPhone I have location services "On" but use the provided list to vary that permission for each specific app. In the case of "Safari websites" I have it toggled to "Never". Again, I don't see any location requests on this website.

YMMV but I strongly suspect these requests can be eliminated by finding the appropriate setting in most any device browser. I don't run any 3rd-party popup blocker or similar on any of my devices, just the MS tools on my Windows PC and Apple tools on my iPhone.

I agree the frequent request would be an irritant, good luck eliminating that on your devices!
Attached Thumbnails
MS EDGE.png  
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2023, 03:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 E19
Running Firefox, and no such queries from this forum site. I set FF to standard privacy protection level, and to block pop ups.
Old 11-26-2023, 05:51 PM   #14

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Clean as a whistle on my end!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 08:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
We use Opera browser, no location permission request and no adds.

Thanks! Escape Forum for not requiring us to see adds, some websites won't let you have access unless you allow adds. Whenever that's the case I just don't go there often. I don't mind adds that are stationary but I cant stand the adds that jump around with hyper video and such.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Per Centex’s (Alan E) suggestion, I examined my browser settings (Safari). I use my iPhone exclusively to access this forum and FGRV. I thought I had turned of location services for most apps, but scrolling almost all the way down to the bottom Safari’s settings have a “switch” to turn off location. I have opened both websites a number of times since I made this change and I haven’t gotten the pop-up again. So thank you to Alan! A couple of members on FGRV made the same suggestion.

But that doesn’t change the fact that for some users it is likely still occurring. I just believe that any social media platform that asks this type of question should program its website to allow users to click on a “never” button rather than just “allow” or “don’t allow,” thus permanently opting out. As I stated in my original post, it is none of either of these two website’s business to know where I am, both for privacy and security reasons. I don’t care if they are “only” (as they claimed at onset) trying to determine the speed of user’s internet connections.
Old 11-27-2023, 06:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I use the Google Chrome browser on both my MacBook and iPhone. I also run AdBlock Plus on both.

I don't get any ads and very few pop-ups on my Mac but I do get the Location popup for this forum on my iPhone as well as the annoying video ads. I'll have to look into the chrome settings on my phone.