Propane Regulator - What am I Missing? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2023, 10:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Propane Regulator - What am I Missing?

Somebody named Mike failed to open the valve on the second tank, causing us to awaken to a cold camper.

I went out and saw the first tank was indeed depleted. The lever was pointing to the empty tank and the indicator was red.

I moved the lever to the other tank and slowly opened the shutoff valve. The red indicator did NOT change to green.

I shut the valve again, toggled the lever a couple times and tried again. No joy.

I ended up swapping tanks. The indicator went green and the heater came back on after turning it off and back on at the thermostat.

So....

Why did the change-over valve do this? Is this normal when one tank runs dry and the shutoff valve on the other tank was never opened? Seems wrong to me but thought I'd ask.

Mike
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my experience suggests the red/green indicator won't change from red to green until some propane is actually used from the selected tank.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 02:05 PM   #3

Ahh, thanks!

So it required some flow to somehow change the pressures the valve is looking for...
Old 10-08-2023, 03:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Could be a faulty hose.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Could also be your second tank was also empty
BILLB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 06:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
my experience suggests the red/green indicator won't change from red to green until some propane is actually used from the selected tank.
That has not been my experience. It is based on pressure and the indicator should change to green instantly when switched over to a reserve tank that is open and has adequate propane. It is likely that Mike’s second tank was also very low on propane if swapping the tank out made it work correctly.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 21
I say bad regulator. Had the same thing happen to me lol. Replaced the regulator n no issues in 5 yrs.
Old 10-08-2023, 07:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
That has not been my experience. It is based on pressure and the indicator should change to green instantly when switched over to a reserve tank that is open and has adequate propane. It is likely that Mike’s second tank was also very low on propane if swapping the tank out made it work correctly.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Sorry if my explanation wasn't clear.

The second tank was full. I moved it to the other hose and that "side" of the switch-over valve worked fine.

The regulator itself works fine. It was the switching valve that didn't act nicely.

Perhaps John is correct and I needed to go inside the trailer and light the stove to get some gas flowing? I chose to swap the tank instead.

I learned the furnace ignitor stops trying after 3 unsuccessful attempts. So I just turned the heat off and back on, lit the stove to make sure gas was flowing, and the furnace started running.

I'll have to diagnose when I get home. We will be fine for the one night left on our short trip.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Mike, next time this happens wait to flip the tank select lever until you've opened the fresh second tank's valve and started to use gas from that second tank (just like would have happened if you'd had both tank valves open to begin with). That's what somebody named Ed did yesterday morning when he awoke to no hot water.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 10:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
Mike, next time this happens wait to flip the tank select lever until you've opened the fresh second tank's valve and started to use gas from that second tank (just like would have happened if you'd had both tank valves open to begin with). That's what somebody named Ed did yesterday morning when he awoke to no hot water.
NOTED !!!!

Thanks for sharing someone's experience.

I guess I needed to trust the system more, although I won't say it's intuitive nor obvious.

At least not obvious enough to make me feel any shame beyond failing to open the valve on the second tank!
Old 10-08-2023, 10:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
There are two schools of thought on the twin tanks. One is to run a tank completely empty then open the valve on the second tank. Others run with both tanks open especially once they learn how long a tank lasts in the camping conditions they are experiencing. That’s how I normally run. (Both tanks open).

In addition to the two tanks on the front of the trailer we also have an 11 pound tank we use for the Weber Q, camp stove and propane campfire. Since I handle that tank often, I know its status and also know that if I would inadvertently run out on the 20 pound tanks, I could hook up my little tank and get through the night if a furnace was needed.

Keeping track of propane is just part of my checklist. I have additional tanks in one of our garages so if I am concerned about a tank before we head out, I switch a twenty out.
Six tanks keep me going on my home grill, weed burner, canning stove, etc.
YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 10-09-2023, 05:13 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
There are two schools of thought on the twin tanks. One is to run a tank completely empty then open the valve on the second tank. Others run with both tanks open especially once they learn how long a tank lasts in the camping conditions they are experiencing. That’s how I normally run. (Both tanks open).

In addition to the two tanks on the front of the trailer we also have an 11 pound tank we use for the Weber Q, camp stove and propane campfire.
Dave, I’m guessing you fill that 11 pound tank often, not because of the Weber Q or the stove, but the Campfire in a Can (I believe that is what we both have) can chew through a lot of propane. I carry two 20 pounders in milk crates strapped in the bed of the truck, dedicated to “outside” use, including the campfire. I can empty a 20 pounder in 2 or 3 nights of campfire usage. I do have a 4.25 pounder that I used to use for the grill, but no longer use it. Since I replaced my DAMetic RMD8555 with a 12 volt compressor refrigerator that actually works like a refrigerator, I removed one of the two propane tanks in the 5.0TA’s propane compartment to provide additional storage space. The only problem is that I cannot employ the Jim Norman Theory of replacing the trailer before having to change a propane cylinder! We usually have shore power and heat water with electricity. After installation of a 2,000 watt inverter, no longer have to use the stove to heat water for coffee if needed (do all cooking outside or in the microwave), and only use a quartz heater because I generally won’t camp if I cannot wear a T-shirt or sweat shirt during daytime activities. I don’t find cold weather camping fun whatsoever. The furnace has been on only 3 times since 2015; once at orientation for maybe two minutes, and two other times to take the chill of before switching to quartz, so it has less than 60 minutes of total use. Without the absorption refrigerator, I have virtually no inside propane use.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:11 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post

I went out and saw the first tank was indeed depleted. The lever was pointing to the empty tank and the indicator was red.

I moved the lever to the other tank and slowly opened the shutoff valve. The red indicator did NOT change to green.

I shut the valve again, toggled the lever a couple times and tried again. No joy.

I ended up swapping tanks. The indicator went green and the heater came back on after turning it off and back on at the thermostat.

Mike
The same thing happened to me this summer except I had both tanks open. The regulator had failed. Swapping the tanks got the fridge running again. I replaced the valve when we got home.

It happens.
Old 10-09-2023, 09:07 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hey Carl
Missed you at the Falls this past month. Had a great crew up there this year. Well, except for Ralph. Just Kidding. Sounds like you have energy management down to a fine science. With only a couple times of having the furnace on, you qualify for the Jim Norman trade in program. It isn’t just replacing the propane
tank, it’s also minimal furnace use, never cooked inside, never used the shower to sing Pavarotti, never used the outside propane or the microwave and you can still see the t.ts on the tires.
Have a great Fall and throw another log on the fire or turn the lever if you get cold.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-09-2023, 09:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
The same thing happened to me this summer except I had both tanks open. The regulator had failed. Swapping the tanks got the fridge running again. I replaced the valve when we got home.

It happens.
I will definitely check it all out when I get home and once again have two full tanks.

We are headed back today. Got down to about 40 last night and furnace worked fine.

I have Mopeka ultrasonic sensors on both tanks. They work well.

Mike
Old 10-10-2023, 05:44 PM   #16

Checked it out and it is working perfectly.

My best guess is I had failed to connect the hose to the full tank and hadn't realized it.

Doh!

After refilling the depleted tank, I opened the right tank to reproduce the situation.

I then lit the stove and turned off the shut-off valve at the tank.

The flame went out and the indicator showed red.

I then switched the selector to the left and opened the left tank. This time, the indicator went green and gas again flowed to the burner.

I then opened both tanks, moved the selector to the right tank. I lit the burner then came back out and shut off the right or "primary" tank. The switch-over valve worked as it should and the burner did not skip a beat. I don't remember if the indicator turned green again after the automatic switch.

So I either had an intermittent issue or more likely, I had failed to connect the tank correctly and hadn't realized.

Thanks again for all the ideas... next time ask me if I had the hose connected correctly!!

Mike