Quality Control - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2023, 06:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post

- One must manage their expectations with respect to quality. Do not expect automotive-level reliability on any RV.

I'm not sure that I agree 100% with that. My 2019 F150, that I still call my best tow vehicle ever, has had more problems than my two Escapes ever had. Things like a defective tail light design that lets in water, can shut the whole truck down and can cost thousands to replace. Not to mention a tail gate that can unlock and open while you're driving down the highway and two times replaced block heater wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post

Someone during the build used a heavy sharpie on the plywood for measurements, it took awhile but it bled thru the linoleum.
I'm truly amazed that could happen. I could understand it if they'd used the sharpie on the rear of the vinyl. But to use it on the plywood, have it dry and then bleed through the vinyl, amazing. Glad they stepped up to the plate.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 06:23 PM   #22

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I have been happy over all with my covid era build.. 2022 delivered 5.0 fridge problem that was taken care of under warrantee by Norcold... I'm having another issue now, I think its an electrical issue, rather than frige...Maybe loose wire or other... Over all... very happy with my camper..I think the quality control is better now...and getting better
Old 12-11-2023, 06:58 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I have been happy over all with my covid era build.. 2022 delivered 5.0 fridge problem that was taken care of under warrantee by Norcold... I'm having another issue now, I think its an electrical issue, rather than frige...Maybe loose wire or other... Over all... very happy with my camper..I think the quality control is better now...and getting better
Loose wire connections is mainly what my problems stemmed from. Looking back I'd start from the battery and tug on everything. Don’t forget to check your electric brake connections.
Also I learned the hard way to pickup a surge protector for RV sites…

Thx Willie, Home Depot in Bridgeton off the rack.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 07:05 PM   #24

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm truly amazed that could happen. I could understand it if they'd used the sharpie on the rear of the vinyl. But to use it on the plywood, have it dry and then bleed through the vinyl, amazing. Glad they stepped up to the plate.

Ron
They really did step up, without a flinch.

One RV shop told me this has happened before with many other manufacturers. I suppose as the experienced guys retire the same lessons have to be relearned.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 07:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Loose wire connections is mainly what my problems stemmed from. Looking back I'd start from the battery and tug on everything. Don’t forget to check your electric brake connections.
Also I learned the hard way to pickup a surge protector for RV sites…

Thx Willie, Home Depot in Bridgeton off the rack.
Thx...Thats what I'm thinking too... I have the built in EMS.... but loose wire is my suspect...
Old 12-12-2023, 08:19 AM   #26
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Being close to Chilliwack will provide some peace of mind and let you get used to the nuances of a trailer. We recommend unplugging your trailer and making sure everything works as it should without power. Namely, water pump, heater, fridge and if you are getting solar, make sure you understand the system and how to use your inverter if you have one.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 12:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
Being close to Chilliwack will provide some peace of mind and let you get used to the nuances of a trailer. We recommend unplugging your trailer and making sure everything works as it should without power. Namely, water pump, heater, fridge and if you are getting solar, make sure you understand the system and how to use your inverter if you have one.
thats some solid advice while still in spitting distance from the factory....Have fun with your new camper!
Old 12-12-2023, 01:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottarue View Post
I am working on my build sheet now for a 21C. The trailer will go into production in March and we'll pick it up early June 2024. I am worried by the posts I read on Facebook about quality problems in new Escape trailers. Any advice for when we pick up the trailer - what to look for and expect? We are spending US$63,000+ and are hoping to get a good quality product. I am not a good DIYer so getting a unit with problems is a scary thought!

We plan to stay near Chilliwack for a week after we get it (we live in Minnesota). I am not a good DIY - what should I look for in making sure it all works? We are getting a full solar package with 4 batteries and just about all the options you can add.
Hi: scottarue... As a forum member said once, an RV is a rolling earthquake. I think it was Groucho Marx who said "There ain't no sanity clause"!!! Remember stuff happens. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 04:00 PM   #29
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
I think you will find that the new ownership is making QC improvements. We purchased a 2018 Escape 19 back in 2018 when the place was owned by the founders (Reece and Tammy). When we picked it up ownership had just transferred, so the build quality was really good.

Then we ordered a 21C and picked it up last year. The QC was absolutely awful. Even though the quality of the cabinets themselves was improved (more to choose from, better drawer slides), the quality of the install was very lacking.

The basic fundamental build of the trailer is fine, but it was a LOT of little stuff like cabinet hinges not being installed, propane lines being kinked, bathroom door not straight (ours leans out a bit at the bottom which is nothing compared to some of the bath door problems other 21C owners had at the time. In all, Escape has had to pay well over $1000 in warranty work.

The GOOD NEWS is that Karl who took over for Reece and Tammy was fired earlier this year. Yea!!!! Once that happened, QC started to improve as well as warranty claims. Our earlier claims under Karl were difficult and they always started out with "we will mail you the part, you put it in" which I never went for. Could I do it (yes), should I save Escape labor $$ for lousy QC (no). But I always had to pay in advance and then wait for a reimbursement check, and Karls team always put me in the middle when the shop said they needed more time that what Escape allowed (nobody around here will take a 30min job).

The last set of repairs (thermostat, general electrical charging issues, bathroom vent leak) went extremely WELL! Now that Karl and his team are gone, the new ownership actually worked with our local repair shop and paid them directly. There were a couple of parts issues, but I never had to get involved or do anything. The new team at Escape handled it all.

So the moral of the story is that a new management team is good news for new buyers and hopefully will restore the QC that was there with Reece and Tammy. As others have noted, most of the issues come from faulty accessories (stove, frig., vent fans) which is not Escape's fault.

We are now very happy with our trailer but it has been an ordeal getting everything repaired and operating as it should have been upon delivery. Fortunately for you, I don't think you will have to go through that and you should be able to order with confidence.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 04:15 PM   #30

Trailer: N/A
Many thanks to those who suggested Fort Camping in Fort Langley. I just made my reservation for when I pick up my new 5.0 next year.
claude6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 04:34 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
I think you will find that the new ownership is making QC improvements. We purchased a 2018 Escape 19 back in 2018 when the place was owned by the founders (Reece and Tammy). When we picked it up ownership had just transferred, so the build quality was really good. . .
Out of curiosity, when did Reece and Tammy sell the company? Our 2019 21C was ordered 11Oct18 by the original owners, and completed 13Feb19. We got it in April 2022, and so far it has seemed well put together and (knock wood!) problem free, aside from a few loose hinges and strange Maxx Fan behavior (we keep it off Auto and it's fine).
Old 12-12-2023, 04:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post

Out of curiosity, when did Reece and Tammy sell the company?
I think that there's two dates. One when they sold the company and another date when Reece's management contract expired and he left.

Our 2019 E21 has been problem free except for a kitchen faucet that wanted to swivel and leak, not ETI's fault, but Karl replaced it with the nicer and newer model.

Ron
Old 12-12-2023, 04:55 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Out of curiosity, when did Reece and Tammy sell the company?
2018. Tammy was finished on Memorial Day 2018. Finalized on June 1, 2019. Reace stayed on as a 'consultant' until August 12, 2019.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:34 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I was just looking at a video an experienced RV couple made of their new and very expensive well known brand of trailer…well over $100,000 US.

They showed the poor fit and finish plus many broken parts over their 3 months of use.

They repeated many times “for this kind of money” and “you buy this trailer for its reputation”.

The outside of the trailer they said was fine but you could see the inside was unacceptable for a trailer even 1/4 of the price.

As for the appliances…the toilet seals had gone bad and fluff in the furnace problem.

It definitely makes our 2018 Escape look great!

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:55 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
2018. Tammy was finished on Memorial Day 2018. Finalized on June 1, 2019. Reace stayed on as a 'consultant' until August 12, 2019.
Sounds like ours was built while the legendary founder Reace was still there.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:01 PM   #36

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Bought ours in the fall of ‘21. The fridge install was poor, but other issues have been the third party components used in the trailer. Mostly, it’s been trouble free except fridge install and the furnace ETI didn’t make.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:50 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
We bought the 21 in 2017, had problems with a leaky drain (ten minute fix) wires not crimped well enough on the battery and vibrated off, a broken break wire and the failure of the hot water heater control module and the screws rusting out on the battery box , a poor design choice to fasten it to the floor. That was it for 4 years of ownership.

We would have bought the 23 if it had come out in a reasonable time frame after announcing it for 3 years. That said, our Bigfoot is very well made and has had even fewer issues.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:54 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
We picked up our 21 in Chilliwack in May 2014 and we have never had a problem that wasn't self-induced by Yours, Truly . All of the work we've done or had done has been proactive change-outs (Dometic refrigerator...) or retrofits (solar cell bolt-down...), prompted by contact from Escape. They've been stellar in that respect and all systems remain "go", nearly ten years later. I wonder how much longer I'll be able to say that? We have been entirely pleased with our Escape experience from start to finish.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:59 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape21C 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottarue View Post
I am working on my build sheet now for a 21C. The trailer will go into production in March and we'll pick it up early June 2024. I am worried by the posts I read on Facebook about quality problems in new Escape trailers. Any advice for when we pick up the trailer - what to look for and expect? We are spending US$63,000+ and are hoping to get a good quality product. I am not a good DIYer so getting a unit with problems is a scary thought!

We plan to stay near Chilliwack for a week after we get it (we live in Minnesota). I am not a good DIY - what should I look for in making sure it all works? We are getting a full solar package with 4 batteries and just about all the options you can add.
Hi! We're from Afton Minnesota! We picked our new 21C up during a cloudy rainy week and were not able to test the solar charge. Our lithium batteries were fully charged at pickup....but not apparently, by the solar system. When we got back home, we discovered that the batteries wouldn't charge from the solar panels. I think that wasn't checked by Escape. Multiple communications later, it still doesn't work. We're going to have our "family expert" fix it in January when we go to Florida. That said, we are very pleased with the trailer itself. No problem is insurmountable and you can find the help that you need one way or another. You are wise, though, to check out every system that you can. It's A dang long road trip back to Escape!
Katemcginn12@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 01:18 PM   #40

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately these things continue to happen no matter who is in charge.

My friend picked up his 17B earlier this year and the switch had not been set to Li. despite him having lithium batteries.

I don`t know what help you have had so far but there is lots of help available on the forum. It might be as simple as a switch is in the off position.

If you post what you have checked so far lots of folks will be be happy to offer their experience dealing with this type of situation.

Ron

Tags
quality