Replacement Steps - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2023, 06:36 PM   #1
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Replacement Steps

Hey All - I did one of my dumb moves last week and forgot to put the steps up before pulling away from the curb. Needless to say the current set are bent bad enough so they won't fold up again. I could try to remove them and take a sledge hammer and try to pound them back into alignment, but that does not look like a viable alternative.

I plan to call Escape on Monday to inquire about a replacement, but wanted to check if anyone has a good lead on where I could order a new stair set for our 21C?

Thanks!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 07:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Yeah, I did that to my Scamp steps. A good friend used a post in cement and a Come Along to pull them back into usable shape.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 07:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21NE
I bent mine last year and got a new set;if I remember correctly it was maybe $80 at etrailer, so I got them thru Amazon for less.

Dustin at Escape told me they were Elkhart Tool 320. Be sure to measure the old one’s mounting spacing!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 10:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
mine are somewhat bent such that they aren't easy to deploy or put away, I've been using this step ever since.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BWY27GC1

I don't even bother to fold it, I just stick it inside the door when we are traveling.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 10:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Here’s what I ordered for my 5.0 when we bent ours.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0626.jpg  
Old 11-12-2023, 11:32 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21NE
That looks like what I ordered but I remember paying $84 (cheaper than etrailer bc of free shipping). I had to drill two new mounting holes to match the existing angle iron supports, no big deal.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 11:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
I didn’t have to drill holes. Good thing because I am not that skilled.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:05 PM   #8
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
A couple of things to close this out. First, I forgot to mention that we currently have a double step as our 21C is raised. However, all the leads everyone provided should have been enough for me to find a 2-step. I was on the phone with Escape this morning regarding another question and was told that they cannot get the double step anymore. Apparently the manufacturer (Elkhart) is either out of business and/or does not make them anymore.

So I'm going to try the pull-along similar to what Donna's friend did, or find a metal shop in town that will work it back into shape for me. Otherwise we will have to do what John did and buy a separate step box.

Bottom Line is that if you have a two-step entry, take care of it!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 12:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
A couple of things to close this out. First, I forgot to mention that we currently have a double step as our 21C is raised. However, all the leads everyone provided should have been enough for me to find a 2-step. I was on the phone with Escape this morning regarding another question and was told that they cannot get the double step anymore. Apparently the manufacturer (Elkhart) is either out of business and/or does not make them anymore.

So I'm going to try the pull-along similar to what Donna's friend did, or find a metal shop in town that will work it back into shape for me. Otherwise we will have to do what John did and buy a separate step box.

Bottom Line is that if you have a two-step entry, take care of it!
Won't one of these work
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_...EOut_Step.aspx
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 12:29 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Looks like Little House Customs still has the two step in their store. I don't know if it would fit an Escape. Might be worth a call to find out if you don't have any other options.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 02:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post

or find a metal shop in town that will work it back into shape for me.
I can't imagine that it could be so badly damaged that it can't be repaired.

It's only mild steel. My usual way of dealing with making mild steel do what I want involves some combination of a vice and lever, heat or a big hammer. Sometimes all 3 and sometimes a bigger hammer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 11:06 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Looks like Little House Customs still has the two step in their store. I don't know if it would fit an Escape. Might be worth a call to find out if you don't have any other options.
Larry (LHC) put me in touch with their supplier and I picked up one I modified like LHC does and put that on my 2014-21 with no problem. Their instructions are quite clear and a template shows where to drill a couple of holes in the mounting outriggers.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 12:43 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
indeed, this looks like it should be adaptable to a raised E21,
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...SMFP-2100.html

worst case a metal fabricator welds a couple mounting brackets that you can bolt this step up to.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 10:40 AM   #14

Trailer: 2023 Escape E23
I haven't bent a set yet but the step my old rig was rusty and tough to get out so I have been using a step like John posted which worked great. The new system Escape is using on the first Edition E23 is called Lippert solid step. It works well and is very solid but if it is left down it would probably cause serious damage. I don't think that will be an issue because it is pretty obvious when deployed. The only real draw back I can see with it is you must put the step down to get in to the trailer. In the past if was parked at the grocery store and wanted to load a few groceries I wouldn't bother with the step. I haven't seen this step as an option on the other units and don't know if they are using the same doors on all the trailers , but if they are, it should fit.
Attached Thumbnails
step.jpg  
Unit # 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 11:39 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21
I purchased steps from Amazon

Elkhart 120 Single Step black https://a.co/d/96xGY9N
DignDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 12:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit # 1 View Post
I haven't bent a set yet but the step my old rig was rusty and tough to get out so I have been using a step like John posted which worked great. The new system Escape is using on the first Edition E23 is called Lippert solid step. It works well and is very solid but if it is left down it would probably cause serious damage. I don't think that will be an issue because it is pretty obvious when deployed. The only real draw back I can see with it is you must put the step down to get in to the trailer. In the past if was parked at the grocery store and wanted to load a few groceries I wouldn't bother with the step. I haven't seen this step as an option on the other units and don't know if they are using the same doors on all the trailers , but if they are, it should fit.
The Lippert Solid Step is on my ATC trailer. It is VERY solid. But I'd prefer the pull-out step. As mentioned, it stores inside the trailer and must be extended every time you want in. If there is dirt or water on the step when folded in, all that dirt and water dump inside on the floor. I installed a rubber boot tray to catch the mess. It is hinged inside the trailer, the upper stair support goes across the threshold under the door, then outside. This means the bottom door weatherstrip is displaced and cold drafts blow in. The leg lengths must be adjusted every time you reposition the trailer, if the legs are too long the door won't shut, if the legs are too short, the stairs hang loose and bend when you step on them. I'd rather deal with a slightly wobbly pull-out stair, but unfortunately the frame structure of my trailer will not support a pull-out stair, so I live with the disadvantages.
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote