Replacing a Dometic RMD 8555 Refrigerator - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #41

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
Next

Here are views of refrigerator cabinet ceiling area before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling Before.jpg   Ceiling After.jpg  
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 02:36 PM   #42

And Last

Views of the side wall before (though after the fiberglass batt insulation had been removed) and after. Second one shows joint with the ceiling as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Side Wall Before.jpg   Side&Ceiling After.jpg  
Old 09-04-2021, 03:46 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Paul- congrats on getting it done! If it is possible, a photo or two of your electrical connection would be great. Only a matter of when we do the same.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #44

Hi Ross,

Thanks. It was a saga -- made much more difficult than necessary by Dometic's lack of adequate installation instruction for US installs. The problem with providing a pic of the electrical hookups is that when my RV Tech guy got the spade connectors made up and connected to the proper pins he then wrapped it with a half dozen wraps of electrical tape. So all you'd see is a big black ball.

If and when you want to move forward on a similar replacement you can PM me and I'll give you additional details on the hookups.

Paul
Old 09-04-2021, 07:07 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Thanks so much for the photos and explanation. Much appreciated. Helps me understand what I may need to do when the fridge goes….
Old 09-10-2021, 08:00 PM   #46

Trailer: 1994 1500 series Bigfoot
Yessss

Quote:
Originally Posted by a602pmcc View Post
Hi Ross,

Thanks. It was a saga -- made much more difficult than necessary by Dometic's lack of adequate installation instruction for US installs. The problem with providing a pic of the electrical hookups is that when my RV Tech guy got the spade connectors made up and connected to the proper pins he then wrapped it with a half dozen wraps of electrical tape. So all you'd see is a big black ball.

If and when you want to move forward on a similar replacement you can PM me and I'll give you additional details on the hookups.

Paul
Hey Paul,
You have no idea how helpful this thread has been. I recently replaced my old dometic fridge but unfortunately was advised my ONLY replacement was the norcold 4150.. Lesson learned to do my own homework. I would much rather have gone for the RMD 10.5x dometic. The norcold is also a European configuration with the 6way plug for DC connection. I was hoping you could enlighten me with specifics on how your tech connected the +/- wire to the 6way on fridge. Thanks!
Mustachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:21 PM   #47

Trailer: LTV Unity CB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Several years ago my RMD 8555 failed. I used a mobile rv tech and with Dometic on the phone they determined the main board failed. We ordered the board and within a week we had a replacement. Unfortunately the replacement board did not solve the problem and we now ordered an eye brow board. I did not receive that part until returning home, it was an easy install and fixed the problem. The tech said it was probably a case of both boards failing. This is something I question but have not proved.

I now have in my possession a main board that may or may not work. I would be willing to ship it to you on your dime and if it works out we can determine a price. Send me a private message if interested.

FYI the original issue was the refrigerator would not work on gas, it did work on shore power. The total repair ran a bit over $1,100.
Alan, did you find a home for that control board. I have spend many hours trying to find one. The part number that dometic gave turned out to be wrong. Apparently there are 2 different ones. We need the one that was manufactured in Europe. Do you have a part number? We might be interested.

Roblin
Roblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:19 PM   #48

We're next; first day out on trip to Sedona and we now have a block of ice saving our food after no12V power to operate fridge controls. Last time that happened not too long ago removing and replacing the 20A fuse behind the fridge made it work. That also worked today, however for only a short time. Now I had to pull it to sleep as the eyebrow board where the controls are is making a funky noise.

So calling Dyer's tomorrow and hoping they have one in stock that a customer didn't want (right!)- AND they can install it Friday. Otherwise it will be home about the time we are hopefully in a few weeks.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:52 PM   #49

Using coolers is a drag! Read some more thus AM about no 12v power to RMD8555 and came across a tip on another Forum- yes, we're not the only ones....and the suggestion was th shake the wires behind the fridge. Did it and. got power. Then it started beeping like the door was open and remembered Rbryan's experience and re-read those threads. Someone suggested working the door mechanism then spraying silicone spray. That seems to be working.

Didn't hear the sparker trying to light yet went out and saw the Wimpy Flame Syndrome again. Removed orifice and it looked the same as the first tume- a tiny hair-like strand across the middle. Soaked it for 30 minutes and it's flamin' and the fridge went from 60 to 52 in an hour. Keeping fingers crossed it holds out yet still keeping my order with Dyers Online for a new Dometic 10.5 XT.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:00 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
See post here https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post410672
post #1541
Old 02-12-2022, 01:39 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That compressor is fine for someone who has the time, skulls and money. Looks great btw.

John- tell us what it cost you; am betting over $4500. The batteries and fridge alone were $4K- right? Solar panel another $350-400. Then add the Orion stuff, etc. Then about 9% tax where you are. Maybe closer to $5K and that's only the parts.

The Dometic 10.5 XT is in my comfort zone to install myself. All that electrical modification for a compressor isn't. As they say TITO!
Old 02-12-2022, 04:13 PM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The fridge was $2200
the LG 360W solar panel was $250 delivered (it was an odd lot clearance for $160 but freight bumped it to $250)
the two batteries were $2100
the Victron stuff was about $500
the PD4655Li was $280

I did spend a fair bit on AWG 4, 6, and 8 wire and suitable crimps, maybe $250 total on wiring + accessories like fuses, bus bars.. I won't count the new tools I got (hex crimper, big cable cutter) as tools will be useful for future projects that I would previously have punted on. Also, I have a fair bit of the wiring and connectors left over, except the #4 wire I'm almost out of.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Several years ago my RMD 8555 failed. I used a mobile rv tech and with Dometic on the phone they determined the main board failed. We ordered the board and within a week we had a replacement. Unfortunately the replacement board did not solve the problem and we now ordered an eye brow board. I did not receive that part until returning home, it was an easy install and fixed the problem. The tech said it was probably a case of both boards failing. This is something I question but have not proved.

I now have in my possession a main board that may or may not work. I would be willing to ship it to you on your dime and if it works out we can determine a price. Send me a private message if interested.

FYI the original issue was the refrigerator would not work on gas, it did work on shore power. The total repair ran a bit over $1,100.
Hi,saw your post about the motherboard in your rmd8555. I have the same fridge. Mine stopped working on gas, I suspect the motherboard because there is no power going to the gas control valve. Is this the same issue you had? I’m trying to avoid buying the wrong $600 part. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated. If it looks like it might be my motherboard and if you still have your old one I would be interested in making some sort of deal.
Thanks, Dave
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #54
Site Team

fyi, the gas valve has 3 pins. one is ground/negative, the other two BOTH have to be +1.5V (NOT 12V!!) for the valve to open (its actually two valves in series, both have to open together for it to turn on). I figured this out when I had the valve on my desk pulled from my dead fridge.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:27 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
That is good information John. When the on site rv tech was working on my refrigerator he was using a multimeter and at the same time on the phone with Dometic service department. At some point Dometic informed him it was the main board that needed replacement. A week later it arrived but did not fix the problem. Why does that not surprise me. Situation normal at Dometic SNAFU.

The eyebrow board was the solution.

Bubbles, there has been much discussion on the replacement in past postings. At least five failure’s of the refrigerator with the same symptoms. In every case I know of the solution was the eyebrow board when the gas would not work but electric would.

Will any of this information give you a new direction? Is Dinosaur making a replacement board?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:48 PM   #56
Site Team

Dometic bought Electrolux's RV fridge division, who designed and built the RMD8 series, including the 8555, and I bet no one at Dometic really knows much about them. They were made in Germany, and full of European components.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:52 PM   #57

Hey John, thanks for the reply. My valve works. Problem is I’m not getting any power to the valve from the control module. Checked voltage at the module while I had someone push buttons on the panel but I could not find any spec or info on which wires in the ribbon do what so I’m not positive if it’s the gas control module or control panel. Any ideas? Info?
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:21 PM   #58
Site Team

Yeah, I got no idea what command and control protocol links the control panel with the main controller.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:32 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 19’
It looks like we may be replacing our RMD8555 and prefer to stay with an absorption model. The Norcold 4150 is one option. I am wondering how that model has worked for those with them?
Sailingmiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:29 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Not quite the answer you were looking for but . . . We replaced with the Dometic 10.5. It was an easy process using the photos and directions on the forum. It requires two people to muscle 100 lbs out and in. The hookup took about an hour with some preparation.

The refrigerator is much improved. We are approaching our 4th week with it. Some observations I can come up with quick: faster cool down gas or electric, steady temperatures even with usage, quality door mechanism, surprisingly roomier inside- we have space, no cramming . I keep looking for it to fail like the POS 8555 and it just keeps working

Less than a week after ordering from Dryers and it was in our garage.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote