Replacing a Dometic RMD 8555 Refrigerator - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #1

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Very interested in this thread as the interior and door hardware on my Dometic is prone to breakage and have thought seriously about a replacement unit. Why does Dometic make interior fridge shelves and catches out of plastic? Cheap Cheap.

Where are you thinking of purchasing the Dometic RMD 10.5XT? I can't seem to find any sources from my friend Google.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
Very interested in this thread as the interior and door hardware on my Dometic is prone to breakage and have thought seriously about a replacement unit. Why does Dometic make interior fridge shelves and catches out of plastic? Cheap Cheap.

Where are you think of purchasing the Dometic RMD 10.5XT? I can't seem to find any sources from my friend Google.
Hi Stefan,

Yes, finding one was quite a saga, involving several communications with Dometic customer service by phone and email. They insisted it was available but every dealer I contacted could find no information on price or availability through their contacts at Dometic. Eventually got correct part, item and SKU number from Dometic and that lead to success.

I've been dealing with Dyers Online https://www.dyersonline.com/. Kristi is my contact, and she has been very persistent in helping me figure it out. She just yesterday was able to get pricing and estimated ship date info from Dometic. This is not an item that Dometic keeps in stock (at least in the United States, they seem to be more readily available in Europe and the UK), but is a made to order item. Estimated ship date is mid to end of July.

If I do in fact end up ordering this one, I will continue to post my experience.

Best,

Paul
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by a602pmcc View Post
Hi Stefan,

Yes, finding one was quite a saga, involving several communications with Dometic customer service by phone and email. They insisted it was available but every dealer I contacted could find no information on price or availability through their contacts at Dometic. Eventually got correct part, item and SKU number from Dometic and that lead to success.

I've been dealing with Dyers Online https://www.dyersonline.com/. Kristi is my contact, and she has been very persistent in helping me figure it out. She just yesterday was able to get pricing and estimated ship date info from Dometic. This is not an item that Dometic keeps in stock (at least in the United States, they seem to be more readily available in Europe and the UK), but is a made to order item. Estimated ship date is mid to end of July.

If I do in fact end up ordering this one, I will continue to post my experience.

Best,

Paul
Did you order this? What price was quoted?
Old 07-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Did you order this? What price was quoted?
Hi Ross,

Yes, I did order this refrigerator from dyersonline.com on Tuesday. (Though they requested, and I ordered by phone since this is not a stock item, but rather has to be special ordered.) Their quote was $1,840, free shipping, and no sales tax. Expected to ship late July or early August. Given the concern regarding the power supply voltage raised by Jon, it is fortunate that they have indicated that the order can be cancelled up until it actually ships.

As stated in response to Jon's post, I will verify the power supply and post back here what I find out.

Paul
Old 07-10-2021, 04:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Paul- hope you can get it in 110V. While am not a big Dometic fan the reality is Norcold probably isn't any better from what reviews I've seen. The Dometic to me has a much better interior as well.

Price doesn't seem too bad either considering that is the total delivered. Will be looking for your updates for installation if you in fact get to that point.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:19 PM   #6

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Just for what its worth. If you go here:

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoo...-10.5xt-205131

Click on Specifications --> Electrical it would appear they make a 120V version.

Still, It would be good to verify before ordering for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dometic.JPG (59.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-19-2021, 10:04 AM   #7

Confirmation on 120V Version

Originally Posted by Vermilye
I'd check to be sure there is a 120V version of the Dometic RMD 10.5XT. All I can find is 230V versions. If you never plan to use it on AC, or can find a replacement electric element, it might work...

Hi All,

I received confirmation from both my contact at dyersonline.com and Dometic customer service that the version for sale in the US is indeed 120 volts. As I previously mentioned, I ordered the RMD 10.5XT nearly two weeks ago, and still hoping to get it by early August.

Plan to remove the old one this week, and begin work on the cavity per the improvements and suggestions by others who have done so. Again, will keep you apprised of my progress.

Thanks,

Paul