RV Awning Travel Lock - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 05:27 PM   #61

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Got mine done, but instead of using the supplied bracket, I made a new support bracket that bolts to the awning mount using the two existing bolts and an additional one.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC5485.jpg   _DSC5480.jpg   _DSC5488.jpg  
Old 05-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Nice work and hopefully the mfg. will offer something similar as it is a cleaner install than drilling into the front or side or the arm.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #63

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
We will see said the blind man
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:27 PM   #64

Nicely done Chris
Old 05-28-2019, 08:36 AM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Got mine done, but instead of using the supplied bracket, I made a new support bracket that bolts to the awning mount using the two existing bolts and an additional one.
Chris R,
A very creative and nice work of your awning lock, May I ask what kind of metal plate did you use to modify for the new support bracket? Would I be able to get a piece of this kind of metal plate from Lowes or Home Depot? Thanks.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:41 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Chris R,
A very creative and nice work of your awning lock, May I ask what kind of metal plate did you use to modify for the new support bracket? Would I be able to get a piece of this kind of metal plate from Lowes or Home Depot? Thanks.

Tonny LR
I used a piece of 1/8 x 3 inch aluminum flat bar, don't remember the spec, but the stock at Lowes or Home despot should work. We also have a Metal Supermarket that has a much bigger selection of stock and better prices.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC5471.jpg  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Chris R,
I appreciated your posting pictures and sharing of the awning lock stallation and thank you for providing me the part info.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #68

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
I used a piece of 1/8 x 3 inch aluminum flat bar, don't remember the spec, but the stock at Lowes or Home despot should work. We also have a Metal Supermarket that has a much bigger selection of stock and better prices.
You made that yourself? That is above my skill level I am afraid.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
You made that yourself? That is above my skill level I am afraid.

Yes, I have being doing similar things for a long time so it comes easily for me.
Aluminum can be cut with a hacksaw (or a bandsaw is you have it), a file to smooth out the edges, drill a few holes and some paint. Probably the difficult part is making an accurate cardboard template of what you want to make.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #70

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Chris can I ask a question ? Is the reason you made another bracket to move the lock closer to roller tube ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Chris can I ask a question ? Is the reason you made another bracket to move the lock closer to roller tube ? Pat
Hi Pat, I was unable to find a satisfactory place to locate the small bracket that comes with the lock so that the lock's pin would be in the centre of the awning roller. I found the bracket was too short if I attached to the vertical arm, it only went half way across it. I also felt that the aluminum of the arm was too thin to hold the bracket if I had to start trimming the screws so the arm would still operate. I also did not want to see the bracket.
So many reasons , but yes, I want to get the lock closer to the roller tube and make it solid. I use to sail, so I know how strong the wind can be.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #72

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hi Pat, I was unable to find a satisfactory place to locate the small bracket that comes with the lock so that the lock's pin would be in the centre of the awning roller. I found the bracket was too short if I attached to the vertical arm, it only went half way across it. I also felt that the aluminum of the arm was too thin to hold the bracket if I had to start trimming the screws so the arm would still operate. I also did not want to see the bracket.
So many reasons , but yes, I want to get the lock closer to the roller tube and make it solid. I use to sail, so I know how strong the wind can be.
Thankyou for responding ! Makes lots of sense ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #73

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
I'm leaving here in two weeks and five days to pick up the trailer. I already have the awning lock but won't have a chance to fabricate on the road. For a temporary field expedient, would placing a bungee cord wrapped around the awning and roller keep it from unfurling?
Old 05-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #74

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
With the manual awning a Velcro strap will prevent the two parts of the awning arm from spreading, which should prevent the awning from unfurling.
In picture #2 you can see the two parts of the arm.
In picture #1 the top part is inside the angled part.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning strap 2.jpg   Awning half open.jpg  
Old 05-28-2019, 07:42 PM   #75

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
These do not work, look at my pictures, these straps are still attached and mine came unfurled...
Earth to Baglo....the strap hitting the latch, uh probably not either. These awnings are more prone to unfurling as there is more exposed canvas due to the mounting rail being up higher than standard.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:01 PM   #76

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I still don't get it. The awning arms have to move away from the trailer body to unfurl the awning. You can see how much awning is exposed in this picture ( about 3 inches ).

The awning roller is spring loaded, which is what rolls up the awning. There is the open/close switch and there is a knob to tighten a screw to prevent the arms from spreading, which would unfurl the awning. And there is another locking mechanism on the arm itself.
I'm on the backside of the moon until somebody explains how the roller can unfurl in the closed and locked position.
Looks like I unlocked the awning while washing the trailer yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning lock.jpg  
Old 05-28-2019, 08:33 PM   #77

G it happened to me due to a latch failure inside the roller. If I had the rv awning lock then I wouldn’t of had to replace the awning fabric. So the lock is a a must
Old 05-28-2019, 11:18 PM   #78

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I still don't get it. The awning arms have to move away from the trailer body to unfurl the awning. You can see how much awning is exposed in this picture ( about 3 inches ).

The awning roller is spring loaded, which is what rolls up the awning. There is the open/close switch and there is a knob to tighten a screw to prevent the arms from spreading, which would unfurl the awning. And there is another locking mechanism on the arm itself.
I'm on the backside of the moon until somebody explains how the roller can unfurl in the closed and locked position.
Hey Glenn Thanks for the picture. It showed me that my idea won't work. Hope you folks are cooler up there than we are down here.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:25 PM   #79

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

I concur, Glenn.
I have a piece of rope that I tie through the bracket bolted to the trailer and then around the canopy arm, at the front (towing) end of the canopy, just as a safety device. With it in the 'closed/locked' position, I don't see how the awning can come unraveled.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:26 AM   #80

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I concur, Glenn.
I have a piece of rope that I tie through the bracket bolted to the trailer and then around the canopy arm, at the front (towing) end of the canopy, just as a safety device. With it in the 'closed/locked' position, I don't see how the awning can come unraveled.

See post #77, above, for a first-hand account of an awning unfurling with the arms in the closed position.