Sanitizing fresh water tank - anybody use Vinegar? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2020, 01:31 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
That fish is a beauty. Catfish are so much fun to catch as they fight like the dickens.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #62

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I bought a fully-self-contained (FSC) trailer because I wanted ALL that it offered in creature comforts. Maintaining the systems isn't hard. I find it easier than hauling other 'stuff' that by passes what I have within my trailer. Sanitizing the water system isn't difficult or time consuming. I buy a gallon of bleach in the Spring, use it for the trailer to sanitize the system and the rest of the gallon is used in my home... laundry, cleaning and the like. Buy a new gallon the next Spring. I can buy a gallon of unscented bleach at the Dollar Store. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.
I'm with you in spirit, Donna D., but due to autoimmune issues, I carry along a (rather unwieldy) Travel Berkey for drinking water and food prep.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
RV antifreeze ( the pink stuff ) is non-toxic. It's not toxic to dog or man. The main ingredient is used in the food industry to make ice-cream, for instance.
Irony here, the stuff that keeps our water lines from freezing is used to make a frozen concoction.....
Old 02-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Jim
It takes about 2 hours to mow mostly because I have to throttle down for close trimming. I’m mowing with a Gravely ProTurn 260 Commercial Z Turn mower, 60 inch cut., 27hp Kawasaki engine. I have two sets of blades so always sharp. I do not remove the clippings unless I’ve been off Escaping for a while, then I sweep them up. I am putting down 3 lbs of actual N per 1000 Sq ft per year in four applications. I start with a crabgrass pre-emergent when the soil tem reaches 55F and finish about the middle of November when I put down a winterizer. In my previous life I had oversight for mowing 975 acres of park turf in our 4,000 acre park system. I was a licensed pesticide applicator from 1975 though 2014 except for 6 years when I didn’t have turf responsibilities. I like growing things as you know and wish I was as good at it as my brother. My brother in Colorado spent 40 years as a Forest Service employee and specialized in Forest management. As kids we hated gardening, mowing, and most forms of grounds maintenance. Spading the garden in the spring was accomplished because when we were done spading and finish raking so
the garden looked like a black pool table, our dad would let us go fishing with the coffee can of worms we collected. I still like to fish. 7 lbs Cannel Catfish, released. Bait: Live Bluegill
Iowa Dave
When I had a home in Maryland with 2 acres of lawn, fenced, it would take me about 4 hours to cut grass and trim along the fence line. I had a used CubCadet garden tractor with a single Kohler 16 hp engine and hydrostatic drive on a 60" triple blade deck. It also had a snow blade for plowing. I kept it in a shed where one year a black snake took residence on the seat. I sat down to back it out and when the seat moved I made the 100 yard dash in 4 seconds to the house. That year I hired someone to cut until the snake left my shed.....
Old 02-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #65

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Irony here, the stuff that keeps our water lines from freezing is used to make a frozen concoction.....

Not really. It's used to keep ice cream from freezing so solid that you can't scoop it.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #66
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I don't drink my tank water because its usually filled from my house, and I don't drink my home water because its so heavily bromated and hard that it tastes terrible.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #67

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I spent my career in hospital and private medical laboratories, mostly in microbiology. It was someone's job every morning to make up many squirt bottles of 10% bleach to disinfect countertops throughout the day. Every single morning it was made fresh, since you didn't want to be using less than effective bleach with all the stuff we were working with!
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #68

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
I'm with you in spirit, Donna D., but due to autoimmune issues, I carry along a (rather unwieldy) Travel Berkey for drinking water and food prep.

Sorry to bear bad news but despite their marketing, Berkeys might not be the best choice for you.

https://www.hydroviv.com/blogs/water...UDlCMnFOIn0%3D

Scroll down through the article to see the pertinent table of a number of off the shelf filter systems.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Sorry to bear bad news but despite their marketing, Berkeys might not be the best choice for you.

Scroll down through the article to see the pertinent table of a number of off the shelf filter systems.
Of course, that's one manufacturer's interpretation compared to another's. This one put out by Berkey tests the removal of PFOAs at a much higher concentration. Who's right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 9.02.06 AM.jpg  
Old 02-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #70

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
Of course, that's one manufacturer's interpretation compared to another's. This one put out by Berkey tests the removal of PFOAs at a much higher concentration. Who's right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No, those are not one manufacturer’s “interpretation”, they are test results conducted by Duke University and NC State.

The test you refer to was likely conducted with a new filter. The Duke/NC State test was conducted on a 6 month old filter *which is still in its rated service lifecycle*. The fact that the Berkeley actually produced water with *higher* levels of contaminants than the water that was used for the testing is likely due to media saturation and low quality filter media.

It’s going to get real expensive to replace those Berkeley filters monthly to maintain the filtration levels you think you’re getting.

An RO system would be great for a trailer, except for the bulk and all the wasted water.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #71

I had a house, on a well that needed acid neutralization which then caused hard water which needed a water softener, my basement was starting to looking like a swimming pool supply house. All of these items required routine flushing, normally once a week, which required a lot of water. Eventually my pump went up and it needed replacement. The water did taste good, untreated. Reverse osmosis systems also require flushing and are normally a point of use set up vs a whole house system. Mainly for taste RO remove a lot of minerals found in water that ironically is sold in health stores as alkaline or mineral water.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #72

Quote:
No, those are not one manufacturer’s “interpretation”, they are test results conducted by Duke University and NC State.

The test you refer to was likely conducted with a new filter. The Duke/NC State test was conducted on a 6 month old filter *which is still in its rated service lifecycle*. The fact that the Berkeley actually produced water with *higher* levels of contaminants than the water that was used for the testing is likely due to media saturation and low quality filter media.
Sorry, I meant interpretation of the study results. The one in the Duke study with the high increase in GenX used a Berkey filter that was 26 months old but probably the more important number is how many gallons have been filtered. Berkey's results don't include GenX testing. I am researching whole house systems for a future home with well water in mining country and it's pretty tricky evaluating for everything possible. As far as a travel filter, Berkey can take out a whole lot of other contaminants if not the perfect choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 9.37.42 AM.jpg  
Old 02-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
Sorry, I meant interpretation of the study results. The one in the Duke study with the high increase in GenX used a Berkey filter that was 26 months old but probably the more important number is how many gallons have been filtered. Berkey's results don't include GenX testing. I am researching whole house systems for a future home with well water in mining country and it's pretty tricky evaluating for everything possible. As far as a travel filter, Berkey can take out a whole lot of other contaminants if not the perfect choice.
So why did you choose PFAS as your benchmark It is typically a contaminant associated with firefighting foam, flame retardant chemicals and Teflon. Is it also associated with mining If you have immune deficiency issues like one poster you should mostly be concerned with bacteriological contamination anyway.

As a professional water treatment plant operator I suggest you get the water tested to see what is in it. You cannot effectively choose a filter based on what you think might be in the water. Different filters do different things and you need to know what you are trying to filter out and at what concentration (how long the filter will last or work at all). Call a pro.

Also RO or reverse osmosis water is quite aggressive and not a good choice for a whole house unit.

Another thing to think about....for camping we are often moving regularly and therefore not drinking the same water for extended periods of time. Acute contaminates like bacteria, nitrates or uranium should be our concern as they will make you sick quickly. Chronic contaminates like PFOA or other chemicals make us sick from consuming the same water for a long period of time (10s of years). So less of a concern for short term use.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
So why did you choose PFAS as your benchmark It is typically a contaminant associated with firefighting foam, flame retardant chemicals and Teflon. Is it also associated with mining If you have immune deficiency issues like one poster you should mostly be concerned with bacteriological contamination anyway.

As a professional water treatment plant operator I suggest you get the water tested to see what is in it. You cannot effectively choose a filter based on what you think might be in the water. Different filters do different things and you need to know what you are trying to filter out and at what concentration (how long the filter will last or work at all). Call a pro.

Also RO or reverse osmosis water is quite aggressive and not a good choice for a whole house unit.

Another thing to think about....for camping we are often moving regularly and therefore not drinking the same water for extended periods of time. Acute contaminates like bacteria, nitrates or uranium should be our concern as they will make you sick quickly. Chronic contaminates like PFOA or other chemicals make us sick from consuming the same water for a long period of time (10s of years). So less of a concern for short term use.
I didn't choose PFAS as my benchmark! They weren't even on my radar until someone else mentioned them. I only jumped in against my better judgement on the conflicting test results with Berkey filters. I mostly worry about PFAS from food packaging.

My comment on mining was just me musing about all the things I'm researching just to not be surprised later. I'm more worried about lead, arsenic and radon than PFAS. And the pathogens from the cattle and other livestock upstream.

I haven't dug a well yet but when I do I will certainly have the water tested and consult with a pro on what filtration if any is needed. I don't want an RO system. I should have clean, wonderful water where I'm building but I'm just not that optimistic about the future of clean drinking water across the US.

I completely agree with your last comment on short term camping water.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #75

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post

What are your thoughts on the pitcher water filtering ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:43 PM   #76

Quote:

Not happy results! Of course, the study was completed a few years back, and by Duke and NC State. Now if Carolina (UNC-CH) had been in on the study, I might just have to sit up and take notice! (My daughter's a Dookie, and my brother graduated from NC State, but I'm a Carolina gal. Lots of ACC rivalry going on.) All kidding aside, water quality is a serious business; everyone in my family is careful to change filters often. Expensive, yes. Worth the trade-off? We believe so.

A fairly good test is in process, as a water main (one of the city's main arteries) here in Houston broke two days ago. We had drinking water stored in our Berkeys so didn't need to boil water, and I just completed all of the steps needed to clear pipes, the icemaker, etc. The next several days of water will be filtered as usual. Berkey's are what we have, so I'm hoping and praying nothing nasty gets through. (Just in case, I won't be filling my trailer's fresh water tank with Houston water in the next few days, as originally planned.)

In over six years of use, I haven't gotten sick from drinking water filtered through the Berkey (that I know of) and am actually feeling much better since I stopped eating gluten a year ago. Tests at MD Anderson then revealed that my villi were down to nubbins, with celiac disease the most likely cause of many autoimmune issues. I went on a gluten-free diet 12 months ago, and though symptoms remain, most have receded quite a bit. I hope that my intestines will be thoroughly healed in another year, but I'm thankful that I feel well enough to go camping - and plan to do so with my sister in just 17 days! I couldn't have said the same at this time last year!

Old 02-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #77

Quote:

Not happy results! Of course, the study was completed a few years back, and by Duke and NC State. Now if Carolina (UNC-CH) had been in on the study, I might just have to sit up and take notice! (My daughter's a Dookie, and my brother graduated from NC State, but I'm a Carolina gal. Lots of ACC rivalry going on.) All kidding aside, water quality is a serious business; everyone in my family is careful to change filters often. Expensive, yes. Worth the trade-off? We believe so.

A fairly good test is in process, as a water main (one of the city's main arteries) here in Houston broke two days ago. We had drinking water stored in our Berkeys so didn't need to boil water, and I just completed all of the steps needed to clear pipes, the icemaker, etc. The next several days of water will be filtered as usual. Berkey's are what we have, so I'm hoping and praying nothing nasty gets through. (Just in case, I won't be filling my trailer's fresh water tank with Houston water in the next few days, as originally planned.)

In over six years of use, I haven't gotten sick from drinking water filtered through the Berkey (that I know of) and am actually feeling much better since I stopped eating gluten a year ago. Tests at MD Anderson then revealed that my villi were down to nubbins, with celiac disease the most likely cause of many autoimmune issues. I went on a gluten-free diet 12 months ago, and though symptoms remain, most have receded quite a bit. I hope that my intestines will be thoroughly healed in another year, but I'm thankful that I feel well enough to go camping - and plan to do so with my sister in just 17 days! I couldn't have said the same at this time last year!
Ava ,do you know if the filter pitchers are any good ? At home we have a water distiller and bring a 3 gallon from home with us . But when we run out buy bottle water and was wondering about those pitchers . Pat
Old 03-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ava ,do you know if the filter pitchers are any good ? At home we have a water distiller and bring a 3 gallon from home with us . But when we run out buy bottle water and was wondering about those pitchers . Pat
I've never used the filter pitchers and haven't researched any recent studies regarding them, Pat, and, of course, bottled water is suspect, too. Unfortunately, even studies at universities can be tainted, particularly if those funding the study grants have a vested interest in the results. I went with Berkey a few years back because the studies at that time pointed to Berkey as the best choice. My gut - literally and figuratively - continues to tell me the same. It seems logical to me that, having filters, the pitchers would be better than doing nothing, but I'd have to conduct another research study to know that for certain. Wish I could offer you something more definitive, but I find truth on any subject to be especially difficult to ferrate out these days!

Old 03-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
What are your thoughts on the pitcher water filtering ? Pat
It depends.....a filter is only good at removing the things it is designed to remove. It is not a magic pill. If you are on municipal water or another type of public water supply I would drink from the tap. If the water is chlorinated and you don't like the taste, filter or put it in an open pitcher in the fridge. Let the tap run until good and cold as that will flush out many contaminants that are leached out of your household pipes while the water sits(typically lead and copper). If you are on a private well, protect it, make sure the cap is well sealed and get it tested once a year for coliform(an indicator that other nasties may be able to get in from the surface) and once every 5 years for another kit that usually checks for nitrates(fertilizers and septic), chlorides(road salt and fertilizers), iron, manganese and some others listed here:https://www.healthvermont.gov/public...hould-you-test
If you are on an old water system with lead service lines(the line from the main in the street to your house)...get them replaced!

Water main breaks happen...follow the recommended procedures and you will be fine to drink the water when they say it is ok. MOST municipal water is very safe, once in a while there are problem children and/or operational issues but not that often. More often than not it is the chlorine that people object to...just put a glass pitcher in the fridge and by tomorrow it will be gone and the water will be nice and cold...yum!

You will see in the news that very occasionally we find new contaminants that we did not know existed....testing technology is always improving and we do find out new things to look out for, as much as we would like to you can't "just test for everything"(define everything...I defy you!). In general public drinking water systems are run by dedicated people who take pride in providing clean safe drinking water to ALL their customers. That being said we do need public investment in our aging water and wastewater infrastructure if we want these dedicated professionals to be able to do their job effectively....it ain't cheap! Don't even get me started on the costs of bottled water and the fallacies promoted around it.

I am a bit skeptical of water in campgrounds I admit. Typically the places where I would question the water quality are places that have quality issues in general, if the campground in general is not well cared for then what do you expect of the water?. I usually keep my water tank full. If the pressure is low, the campground is not well cared for or the water pressure fluctuates a lot...I will drink from my tank water taken from a better source and fill up somewhere else. Worst case scenario if you really need water and are not sure...fill the tank add a capful of bleach and drink...the chlorine will kill anything that could make you sick.

OK soapbox is going away now!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:38 PM   #80

Quote:
I've never used the filter pitchers and haven't researched any recent studies regarding them, Pat, and, of course, bottled water is suspect, too. Unfortunately, even studies at universities can be tainted, particularly if those funding the study grants have a vested interest in the results. I went with Berkey a few years back because the studies at that time pointed to Berkey as the best choice. My gut - literally and figuratively - continues to tell me the same. It seems logical to me that, having filters, the pitchers would be better than doing nothing, but I'd have to conduct another research study to know that for certain. Wish I could offer you something more definitive, but I find truth on any subject to be especially difficult to ferrate out these days!
Hi Ava Thankyou . We just have been not drinking water from unknown sources wjthout filtering now for over 26 years . Have looked at the Berkey and the travel one in particular. Yes so right on trying to get information is so hard .
One question how is the taste compared to having minerals in the water ? Pat