Security systems - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #21

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Oh the panic button is a great invention . All I have to do is press the button and follow the noise in the sea of white pickup trucks behind the shop
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
A 12-volt motion sensor light would be a handy replacement for the light outside the door. Anyone have a reference for one?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
r.e. panic button: all I have to do is put my keys in my pocket and the &*$#&( thing goes off...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
A 12-volt motion sensor light would be a handy replacement for the light outside the door. Anyone have a reference for one?
See this thread starting with Post #71 for a discussion of motion sensors:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...st-4384-8.html
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I agree that motion sending lights can be obnoxious in a camping situation as stated in the thread Karen refers to, but if it could be switched off in a campground, it might be beneficial in the situation described by the OP. Real problem is that scum bags are everywhere. One could be encountered in a Walmart in an upscale area or even in a public or private campground. Warm winter weather attracts all sorts of people. I have seen some "questionably appearing" individuals in Florida's State Parks not really camping, more like living out of their run down vehicles during the winter months. Doesn't mean they have bad intentions but obviously not there for the love of camping.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
These lights can be operated both n auto and manual modes Amazon.com: Starlights SL-1000 Smart Light 1000 12-volt Exterior Motion Light, White: Automotive
Attached Thumbnails
81-+1CtkDzL._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 10-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Suggest only stay at the open all-night ones and under the brightest lighting. Done a lot of overnighting at WalMart, never had issues but now I will get an air horn.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
Hi Sharomm,
Would you mind posting the location? It is certainly someplace I would avoid.
Thanks,
Maureen
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #29

Something else needs to be mentioned, never sleep at a rest stop or parking lot or any strange area with one of your windows open. You would not do that in your car so the same applies to your trailer. Your MaxxFan can cool you down. Besides that, the noise is less with your windows shut.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Something else needs to be mentioned, never sleep at a rest stop or parking lot or any strange area with one of your windows open. You would not do that in your car so the same applies to your trailer. Your MaxxFan can cool you down. Besides that, the noise is less with your windows shut.
True.

Also, to the original poster: did you report this to the local police? That's VERY important.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
... never sleep at a rest stop or parking lot or any strange area with one of your windows open.
Your MaxxFan can cool you down.
I understand the reasons to keep the windows shut, but I don't understand how the roof fan can keep anything cool if there is nowhere for air to enter the trailer. An exhaust fan with no intake won't do much of anything. Are you counting on the stove vent or something?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I understand the reasons to keep the windows shut, but I don't understand how the roof fan can keep anything cool if there is nowhere for air to enter the trailer. An exhaust fan with no intake won't do much of anything. Are you counting on the stove vent or something?
Actually it will suck the cold out of your refrigerator, at least with the 5 cu ft fridge. You have to crack at least one window if you are going to run the fan on exhaust.

I watched the refrigerator temperature climb from 34°F to over 50°F in a less than an hour with the trailer sealed shut & the fan running on full. Made the mistake of leaving the fan on automatic while driving. It wasn't running in the cool morning, but the trailer heated as I drove and the fan started & stepped up to full speed.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Actually it will suck the cold out of your refrigerator, at least with the 5 cu ft fridge. You have to crack at least one window if you are going to run the fan on exhaust.
Now that is interesting. If that is the case, then if you leave a vent or window cracked open when towing would the venturi effect draw cold air out of the fridge? I presume the cold air doesn't escape through the fridge door; how does it get out? If this does happen it might partially explain the problems some people have been having with their refrigerators.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
Instead of opening a window why couldn't you crack open the bathroom ceiling vent to get some air circulation with the Maxxfan fan?
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKzookeeper View Post
Instead of opening a window why couldn't you crack open the bathroom ceiling vent to get some air circulation with the Maxxfan fan?
Interesting idea, which would maintain security, but I'm not sure how much it would help cooling. It certainly could strip some of the hottest air out of the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:47 AM   #36

and put the MaxxFanfan on in not exhaust, also another reason to have the small bath window if you have the 19' with no bath fan.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Now that is interesting. If that is the case, then if you leave a vent or window cracked open when towing would the venturi effect draw cold air out of the fridge? I presume the cold air doesn't escape through the fridge door; how does it get out? If this does happen it might partially explain the problems some people have been having with their refrigerators.
In my case, the cold air was coming out at the bottom edge of the door. I can only guess that the replacement air got into the refrigerator through the hole used to run the thermostat tube, but it could also have been leaking in through the door seal at the top or sides. When I shut off he fan, the temperature started to go back down, and I no longer felt cold air at the bottom.

Now back to security - If you put a motion detector outside light on your trailer, PLEASE include a way to turn it off, at least when you are in campgrounds. I camped in a site across the campground road from a trailer with one, and every time I stepped out of the trailer, it went off. Since I was trying to take some night time star photos, it was a real pain.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am not understanding the reason to not have a window cracked when sleeping in a rest stop. I am even trying to visualize a situation that could be trouble, and only my wildest imagination could come up with something bad. Don't think it will be anything I would ever worry about.

Am I being too naive, and trustful of my fellow man?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Now back to security - If you put a motion detector outside light on your trailer, PLEASE include a way to turn it off, at least when you are in campgrounds. I camped in a site across the campground road from a trailer with one, and every time I stepped out of the trailer, it went off. Since I was trying to take some night time star photos, it was a real pain.
I am in 100% agreement here. Heck, I would like to see less street lights in some campgrounds.

In regards to this security issue, and what to do or not, would the same things not apply to some campgrounds? If someone seriously wanted to break into RVs, a quiet campground setting would be easier for them to not be seen in, rather than an open, lit parking lot.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #40

Trailer: 2014 17B
To answer questions about the incident:

It happened at the Fallon, NV Walmart; I called the police and they arrested the person.
sharonm3394 is offline   Reply With Quote