Sliding Bathroom Door Mod - Ever Done? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Sliding Bathroom Door Mod - Ever Done?

Has anyone converted the bathroom door to a sliding door? Not a pocket door, just a simple exterior slider using hardware like this
https://www.johnsonhardware.com/2610...-door-hardware

Space is tight in a 17 with a 70 pound pup on the floor. A sliding door would resolve getting Chloe to move all the time.

I built a 8x12 shed from plans and installed a large exterior barn door using higher rated hardware like the above and I got thinking maybe I could use it on the bathroom door.

I'm okay with losing the space to the right of the door to hang or display anything. I'm okay with reducing the entrance to the bathroom by a couple inches, based on my measurements. I'm also okay with the depth of the box rail facia with thin oak cover I'd have to make.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I'm not that familiar with the 17B layout but if there's a place for the the door to slide in the open position that your ok with then sounds like a good modification. We had a pocket door in a Mobile Suites 5th wheel that had a strap for securing when traveling. You would have to devise some sort of setup to secure the door.

Jimmy
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I think that it's been talked about over the years and maybe someone did that mod but I'm not sure.

I know that if I'd kept the 19 I've have probably have done it by now. I'd considered doing it several times and my wife really didn't like the bathroom door opening right behind her when she was working at the counter.

If I'd done it I likely would have used full extension drawer slides as I've used for sliding doors on adapted cribs. One slight advantage might be the bottom of the door is held a little firmer. There may also be a cost saving.

Go for it.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0012_resize.JPG   IMGP0017_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If I'd done it I likely would have used full extension drawer slides as I've used for sliding doors on adapted cribs. One slight advantage might be the bottom of the door is held a little firmer. There may also be a cost saving.

Go for it.

Ron
Drawer slides are a fantastic idea because the door is pretty light and I like the idea of the top and bottom of the door being attached and nice and stable. I was thinking the 200 lb rated slider I was looking at was a bit much.

Thanks for the pics also to help me visualize your idea. Wonderful crib modification. I really appreciate this because my sister has CP.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
Drawer slides are a fantastic idea because the door is pretty light and I like the idea of the top and bottom of the door being attached and nice and stable.
Functionally I think the drawer slides would work great but aesthetically it might not be the best with the exposed track of the slides visible on the wall at the top and bottom from the outside of the bathroom when the door is closed.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Did you have that wall reinforced?
Old 10-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Sounds interesting. But I wouldn't want anything with a rail screwed to the floor. It's hard enough with the screen door I have. Guess I just track in to much duff...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Functionally I think the drawer slides would work great but aesthetically it might not be the best with the exposed track of the slides visible on the wall at the top and bottom from the outside of the bathroom when the door is closed.
Ah, yes. I hadn't though this out too much yet. Yes, those tracks would be exposed and couldn't be covered. Thank you.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Sounds interesting. But I wouldn't want anything with a rail screwed to the floor. It's hard enough with the screen door I have. Guess I just track in to much duff...
Completely agree! Thank you.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
Ah, yes. I hadn't though this out too much yet. Yes, those tracks would be exposed and couldn't be covered. Thank you.
This might give you some inspiration...they did both a DIY version and then replaced with a kit.
https://mountainmodernlife.com/light...ing-barn-door/
Old 10-23-2020, 01:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Was 2011 17B, now Bigfoot 21
I looked at this https://shop.stoett.com/nautilus-ret...r-doors-for-rv when I had my Escape. My Bigfoot came with it (or a competitors, no logo that I could find) and it works great. I worried about mold growing on it when retracted but have not had a problem in the 3 years I have used it.

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
That is the way the Lil Snoozy operated their bathroom door. Lil Snoozy went bust but someone bought the ashes of that company and are making them again. I think they are called Snoozy 2 or something like that.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
That is the way the Lil Snoozy operated their bathroom door. Lil Snoozy went bust but someone bought the ashes of that company and are making them again. I think they are called Snoozy 2 or something like that.
Yes, I saw the video tour of the Snoozy 2 but forgot they had the sliding bath door. Exposed slides similar to what you would have with drawer slides but maybe a little nicer.

https://snoozy2.com/
Attached Thumbnails
CC85F487-E811-492C-AD5D-F64E69B3BEC4.jpg  
Old 10-23-2020, 10:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The drawer slide idea is interesting, and they could go on the wall, rather than the floor and ceiling; the top one could be covered by a valence panel, but it should be made removable. I might consider a drawer slide on the bottom, with more conventional sliding door hardware on the top. Usually the top rail is used by itself, but these things are challenged to deal with the rigours of bouncing around in an RV, so positive support at the bottom might be a good idea.

Whatever hardware the door slides on, I suggest using a substantial catch to hold it in whatever position you use while in motion. A door sliding freely in motion will damage hardware and fail. My motorhome has a pair of sliding doors, on hardware similar to that shown in the first post (but not soft close), and while they are relatively heavy (because they have glass inserts), using them has convinced me not to depend on the type of catch usually used to hold a pocket door closed. For travel, they must be secured (in the open position), and the RV manufacturer equipped them with a type of patio door security latch that I had not seen before (but turns out to be common)... and even then, one of them broke its latch on a particularly rough stretch of northern Ontario highway.
Prime-Line Sliding Patio Door Lock
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Why not just remove the existing door?
Nobody is going to be looking, unless you leave the trailer door open... Dog is in the way.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:52 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Why not just remove the existing door?
Nobody is going to be looking, unless you leave the trailer door open... Dog is in the way.
I would second that thought, but also suggest putting an outside curtain up that would provide a degree of privacy. You will still have the shower curtain on the inside. And you could always obtain enough fabric from ETI or if you provided ETI with custom fabric from its manufacturer so that it would match the existing fabric. Just store the door in a safe place so that it can be reinstalled when you decide sell or to buy a larger trailer to make the pooch more comfortable.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had a T@da with the cassette toilet, it is a nice alternative to the black tank....
Old 07-08-2022, 10:30 AM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
I am extremely late on this thread, but just came across it while looking at modifications. What about a folding door? When I was little my mom had some but the looks have come a long way since then. This is just a sample of what I am talking about. Kind of like the curtain idea, but sturdier.

https://www.peppermillhome.com/produ...folding-doors/
Old 07-08-2022, 01:08 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
I am extremely late on this thread, but just came across it while looking at modifications. What about a folding door? When I was little my mom had some but the looks have come a long way since then. This is just a sample of what I am talking about. Kind of like the curtain idea, but sturdier.

https://www.peppermillhome.com/produ...folding-doors/
No, but I like the idea. Saves space inside which we all know is at a premium. I guess you could install a vent if you find you need more circulation in the bath area.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:14 AM   #20

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by btroxell View Post
I looked at this https://shop.stoett.com/nautilus-ret...r-doors-for-rv when I had my Escape. My Bigfoot came with it (or a competitors, no logo that I could find) and it works great. I worried about mold growing on it when retracted but have not had a problem in the 3 years I have used it.

Ben
Bigfoot uses the Shub shower "door"

I'm thinking the OP could just remove the door altogether and put up a curtain track and a heavy curtain. You can get curtain track of different designs and the sliders, etc that fit them from https://jrproducts.net/product-categories/curtain/. Also https://www.recmar.com/ manufactures a lot of this same tracks and sliders, but if you click to buy, it takes you to an outside firm that sells their products. They have a large variety and you have to be sure that you have "type A track" and "type A sliders" kinda thing.

Charles