Suburban SDS2 LP Leak Cooktop Owners - Page 22 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2022, 11:25 PM   #421

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hopefully your wife wasn't too badly injured. I would go to the proverbial mat if it were me.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:38 AM   #422

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
Of Course, ETI would issue a recall on the Suburban stove just after I bought and installed the Dometic! Incidentally, the Dometic replacement seems to be an OK stove.
Supposedly you get a refund for some of that anyway from Suburban.
Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:53 AM   #423

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Supposedly you get a refund for some of that anyway from Suburban.
From Suburban? Or from Escape?

I emailed the recall@escapetrailer.com address asking if I could get the $100 rebate for my Dometic D21 I bought from Amazon, since I bought and installed before they contacted us.

I also really like the D21, for what it’s worth. It lights better than any propane stove I’ve ever used. We’ve been camping at high elevation too, and no issues.
rainyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:16 AM   #424

Trailer: 2018 17B
No whining here. . . . a $20 fix and instructions to accomplish that would be tremendously appreciated! Thanks a million.
sebastopolsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:55 PM   #425

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyescape View Post

I also really like the D21, for what it’s worth. It lights better than any propane stove I’ve ever used. We’ve been camping at high elevation too, and no issues.
Good to hear, what size cookware can you use?

SDS2 was restricted from 6.5" to 8.5" if I recall correctly.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:28 PM   #426

Quote:

I emailed the recall@escapetrailer.com address asking if I could get the $100 rebate for my Dometic D21 I bought from Amazon, since I bought and installed before they contacted us.

The recall notice said if you had already had it repaired the stove company would pay you the cost of the SDS2.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:39 AM   #427

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:

Based on several past experiences, reaching out to Escape re: warranty issues has nearly caused me to have a relapse and resume taking Xanax from a supply which expired 5 years ago.

Option #1: Taking my 21C to an RV dealer is not an option. I don't want anything to do with these dealers. As well, too many hoops to jump through.

Option #2 Purchasing one of several models from Escape doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a financial viewpoint. The Dometic D21 which Escape is offering costs $225 USD not including shipping, handling, nor installation costs for those who are not mechanically inclined -- less a "rebate" of $100 USD.

Option #3 Purchase a Dometic D21 from Amazon for $150 USD (not including tax) and free delivery. Mine will arrive on June 21.

I'm not going to bother asking Escape whether they will rebate me $100 USD if I send them the purchase invoice. I think I know the answer.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:56 AM   #428

Trailer: 2018 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
Good to hear, what size cookware can you use?

SDS2 was restricted from 6.5" to 8.5" if I recall correctly.
About the same, is my experience. I have started to get some heat bluing on the side of the stove base from using a skillet that is a little too large
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:09 AM   #429

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Based on several past experiences, reaching out to Escape re: warranty issues has nearly caused me to have a relapse and resume taking Xanax from a supply which expired 5 years ago.

Option #1: Taking my 21C to an RV dealer is not an option. I don't want anything to do with these dealers. As well, too many hoops to jump through.

Option #2 Purchasing one of several models from Escape doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a financial viewpoint. The Dometic D21 which Escape is offering costs $225 USD not including shipping, handling, nor installation costs for those who are not mechanically inclined -- less a "rebate" of $100 USD.

Option #3 Purchase a Dometic D21 from Amazon for $150 USD (not including tax) and free delivery. Mine will arrive on June 21.

I'm not going to bother asking Escape whether they will rebate me $100 USD if I send them the purchase invoice. I think I know the answer.

The best price I can find on the unit escape is selling is $300 the black units with no cover are 1/2 that price. so i guess there's at $225 -$100 for 125 is a pretty good deal . depending on shipping cost.

Does anyone know if these will work above 4500 feet and if there is any pan size restrictions?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:23 AM   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
The best price I can find on the unit escape is selling is $300 the black units with no cover are 1/2 that price. so i guess there's at $225 -$100 for 125 is a pretty good deal . depending on shipping cost.

Does anyone know if these will work above 4500 feet and if there is any pan size restrictions?
I think there is a minimum size restriction on the grill (small things fall through) but forget what it is. You should be able to look that up on the Dometic site though.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:37 AM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I think there is a minimum size restriction on the grill (small things fall through) but forget what it is. You should be able to look that up on the Dometic site though.
https://epi.dometic.com/externalasse...ref=1288470733

look like there is no size requirement all it says is

Use large enough pans to cover the burner area and contain the cooked food

I think i get mine out so i can see if the new one would fit.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:31 AM   #432

Does anyone have the outside dimensions of the DOMETIC D21 stove? I like to confirm it will cover the hole in my cutout. I can find the cutout measurements But nothing on the over all dimensions including the lip.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:06 PM   #433

Quote:
About the same, is my experience. I have started to get some heat bluing on the side of the stove base from using a skillet that is a little too large
Just to clarify, was that bluing on your old SDS2 or new D21?
Old 06-17-2022, 01:32 PM   #434

On the new D21
Old 06-17-2022, 03:25 PM   #435

Quote:
Does anyone have the outside dimensions of the DOMETIC D21 stove? I like to confirm it will cover the hole in my cutout. I can find the cutout measurements But nothing on the over all dimensions including the lip.
It's on the Escape video about the recall. It's iffy- apparently there is slop in the dimensions so it might or might not fit. Karl said measure your opening and make sure.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:01 PM   #436

Quote:
I measure the outside dimensions of the stove as it sits on the counter: 18-15/16 x 14-9/16
TTMartin had some excellent tips on installing the D21,on this thread,
Suburban SDS2 LP Leak Cooktop Owners, p. 13 or so
When I installed mine, I cut the hole (enlarged the hole) a little too small. That caused some problems. Don't do that.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:39 AM   #437

Quote:
I measure the outside dimensions of the stove as it sits on the counter: 18-15/16 x 14-9/16
TTMartin had some excellent tips on installing the D21,on this thread,
Suburban SDS2 LP Leak Cooktop Owners, p. 13 or so
When I installed mine, I cut the hole (enlarged the hole) a little too small. That caused some problems. Don't do that.

Thank you very helpful. looks like my with will only have 1/4" of the lip covering. I think it might still work. I will put something in there fore the screws to attach to.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:59 PM   #438

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Which replacement to choose…

I’ve been following the Suburban cooktop threads for a while now. It makes sense size wise to go with either Dometic or ENO, but Dometic has such a dreadful reputation and ENO does not get very good reviews. Has anyone used ENO? It seems like a reasonable alternative but not if the poor service is reality.

I’d rather not spring for a Dickinson gold standard but would if needed to avoid future issues. I am not thrilled about another Suburban with the same design but different materials. I am not this type of DIY, so may have misinterpreted some of the facts. If so, am happy to be disabused of my errors.

Thanks for thoughts,
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:34 AM   #439

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Just trying to close the loop on this long, circuitous thread for anyone doing future searches. Below are links to the Suburban SDS2 cooktop recall information on the Escape website, as well as, a video discussing the recall. Another thank you to those that reported this issue to the appropriate agencies. It's the reason a recall was initiated and hopefully it has prevented anyone else from being injured.

**June 14, 2022
We would like to formally notify USA Escape customers that Suburban has registered a NHTSA Recall #22E-035 for the SDS2 2 Burner Drop-in Cooktop.
In accordance with the United States NHTSA requirements Escape Trailer Industries has also logged a NHTSA Vehicle Recall #22V-388
In accordance with Transport Canada requirements Escape has logged a vehicle recall 2022-281 (Canada does not have a separate equipment recall requirement)**
https://escapetrailer.com/recalls/
https://escapetrailer-5474298.hs-sit...ooktop-1?ecid=
https://escapetrailer-5474298.hs-sit...rop-in-cooktop
Old 01-30-2023, 03:41 PM   #440

One other item, if you do replace your SDS2 with the D21 yourself, don't forget to send your old SDS2 back to Suburban / Airxcell for the $329.00 US Rebate. The SDS2 fits nicely into the D21 box for shipping.