Suburban SDS2 LP Leak Cooktop Owners - Page 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2022, 06:57 PM   #401
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Who is the "they" that has it in stock?
ETI had the Dometic stoves in stock, which they suggested replacing the Suburban one with.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:41 PM   #402

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
Just following up for anyone installing the Dometic stove alternative offered by Escape. They have it in stock and it cost $205 CDN with tax.
Interesting that they came out with this video a week after I was told they would not sell me a stove.

Sounds like a great price you got…I think the video states a bit higher.

I will give them a call on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
4DFDECC0-D5DE-4EB8-B40B-C308546B1B42.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:36 PM   #403
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Interesting that they came out with this video a week after I was told they would not sell me a stove.

Sounds like a great price you got…I think the video states a bit higher.

I will give them a call on Monday.
When I first contacted them via email, I was told the stove was completely safe and we had nothing to worry about. We felt differently based on the accounts here and took the Escape there in the fall after not getting a call back about capping the line to the stove and Dave did it for us while we figured out a longer term solution. Dave suggested then that we buy a stove from them, so I asked to speak to him again this time and he did call us back, then Dustin had it ready to go for us at the counter. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s now a more common request. I suppose I was a squeaky wheel about it. Maybe ask to speak to Dave? He told us he was the lone guy that handles warranty repairs there.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:43 PM   #404

Thanks…

Old 06-04-2022, 05:37 AM   #405

Trailer: 21
It stinks that escape doesn’t replace these for free n deal with dometic directly since they buy from them. To me they are double charging the customer that keep them in business. Just plain greed but that my opinion
Old 06-04-2022, 05:38 AM   #406

Trailer: 21
It stinks that escape doesn’t replace these for free n deal with dometic directly since they buy from them. To me they are double charging the customer that keep them in business. Just plain greed but that my opinion
Old 06-04-2022, 07:10 AM   #407
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
It's virtually a guarantee that it is subject to the recall. The aluminum tubes between the gas valves and the burners are the issue and they are on all SDS2 cooktops.
I contacted Suburban. Amy Johnson, Customer Service Manager in Dayton, TN, had me send photos of cooktop and trailer builder's data plates, and told me that I'd have to get an authorized service center to order a replacement. She also told me that Suburban would not pay for installation labor; that would be up to Escape.

I have written to Dustin at Escape, asking if they would pay for the labor. No response as yet.

I have found an RV service place in Worcester (about 20 miles from us) who will order the recall replacement, and presumably install it. If it comes to that, I'll pay for the labor and send the bill to Escape. Will they pay?
Old 06-04-2022, 07:47 AM   #408

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
The recall is the Suburban stove, mot the Dometic one.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:50 AM   #409

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
It seems like it would be better to buy a replacement Dometic since you could install it yourself but I guess I'd need to do it before the official recall so that they'll reimburse the cost of the Suburban.

I haven't done anything yet but I guess the first step is getting the serial number info off the stove.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:33 PM   #410

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
I contacted Suburban. Amy Johnson, Customer Service Manager in Dayton, TN, had me send photos of cooktop and trailer builder's data plates, and told me that I'd have to get an authorized service center to order a replacement. She also told me that Suburban would not pay for installation labor; that would be up to Escape.

I have written to Dustin at Escape, asking if they would pay for the labor. No response as yet.

I have found an RV service place in Worcester (about 20 miles from us) who will order the recall replacement, and presumably install it. If it comes to that, I'll pay for the labor and send the bill to Escape. Will they pay?
This is my plan as well. I, too, have been in contact with Amy who told me the same and approved my replacement request after I sent a photo of the trailer identification plate (she didn't want the cooktop information). I am in contact with the tech I've used for other service and he agreed to receive the new unit and install it. One thing I'll add that Amy emphasized with me and likely with you, too, is that they must get the old stove in return. She said they would supply a pre-paid shipping label to send it back.

I'll be following up with the tech on Monday to check status, mostly to make sure that he contacted Amy and requested the replacement. He was a little unsure of the process at first and hopefully that's settled by now.

I'll be interested to learn what Escape tells you on refunding installation charges as I plan to make the same request.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:20 AM   #411

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
I started a summary thread of all the info I’ve collected about the SDS2 issue, including the recall notice I’ve found online from the NHTSA, and some info on the Dometic D21. I was having a hard time jumping around a few different threads, so I’m hoping that by collecting it all in one spot it would be helpful for other folks trying to understand what’s going on.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...d21-23111.html
rainyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:58 AM   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyescape View Post
I started a summary thread of all the info I’ve collected about the SDS2 issue, including the recall notice I’ve found online from the NHTSA, and some info on the Dometic D21. I was having a hard time jumping around a few different threads, so I’m hoping that by collecting it all in one spot it would be helpful for other folks trying to understand what’s going on.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...d21-23111.html
Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:10 PM   #413
Site Team

Escape Will Reimburse Installation Cost of Replacement SDS2 Cooktops

[I posted this on rainyescape's summary thread, but probably should post it here, too, assuming administrators agree.]

I just received this email from Dustin at Escape Parts and Service, in response to my query about reimbursement for SDS2 cooktop replacement installation:

Quote:
We appreciate your patience as our management team discussed the reimbursement, though this is a recall and should be covered under the manufacturer Airxcel, Escape is going to provide up to $120 CAD or $100 USD towards the installation of the replacement cooktop, keep your receipt and submit it for a reimbursement.

Please get back to me at your earliest convenience.
I think this is fair, and a reasonable response. —LEJ
Old 06-08-2022, 05:59 AM   #414

Trailer: 2020 E21C
My 2011 Chev Silverado was recently recalled by GM for a defective passenger side Takata airbag. My local dealer performed the work free of charge to me. I know ETI is not GM. But ETI are many days late and dollars short of an ethical response to this entire cooktop affair. ETI chose the cooktop. The entire RV industry needs to shape up with quality and customer service.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:34 AM   #415
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
My 2011 Chev Silverado was recently recalled by GM for a defective passenger side Takata airbag. My local dealer performed the work free of charge to me. I know ETI is not GM. But ETI are many days late and dollars short of an ethical response to this entire cooktop affair. ETI chose the cooktop. The entire RV industry needs to shape up with quality and customer service.

John
My guess is that Takata paid for the labor, not GM. Airxcel is so far refusing to pay for cooktop-replacement labor. So ETI is stepping up to the plate, at least partially.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:13 AM   #416

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:

John
I think that the unfortunate reality is that the RV industry does not have change how they operate with respect to quality and customer service. They continue to sell pretty much everything they build.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:35 AM   #417

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
ETI chose the cooktop.
Yes, Reace made a mistake choosing the cooktop. Reace probably should have choose a different one as soon as the issues in the videos, below became apparent. Karl, did start using a different cooktop when the propane leak issues were brought to his attention.

TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:14 PM   #418
Site Team

I would assume all of you here got the official Recall notice from Escape (by email; Karl says it's also coming by snail mail). But if you didn't, here's a link:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post422834
Old 06-14-2022, 07:42 PM   #419

Trailer: 2018 17A
Of Course, ETI would issue a recall on the Suburban stove just after I bought and installed the Dometic! Incidentally, the Dometic replacement seems to be an OK stove.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:55 PM   #420

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Our 21c Suburban SDS2 leaked and we had an explosion. Wife had some injuries. I did not. Caused about $17,000 damage. I was wondering if anyone was pursuing any action. I did notify Escape of the incident.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote