TIP - Verify Your Breaker & Fuse Labels - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2023, 09:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Lightbulb TIP - Verify Your Breaker & Fuse Labels

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTMurphy View Post
.... Even though we had checked the 30 amp fuse labeled "refrigerator" in the fuse box, the refrigerator fuse was actually missing! ....
Maybe not pervasive but it's not at all uncommon to find breaker & fuse labels are incomplete or outright incorrect in Escape trailers as delivered. That's unfortunate as it can hamper first-line troubleshooting, especially for folks lacking tools or confidence to do 'meter testing'.

No tools or particular expertise is required to verify what is on each fuse & breaker in the panel (just a known-working 120v, 12 volt, and USB device to plug into each type of outlet to see if it's 'live' or 'dead' when doing the following procedure).

A bit tedious but it's easy and requires no particular expertise to plug your trailer into known good shore power, turn-on (and leave on) every light and appliance, then see what goes 'dead' as each breaker is flipped OFF and each fuse is pulled in turn (taking careful notes as you go).

As you flip each breaker go around and test each AC outlet with your known working device; as you pull fuses do the same for each 12v and USB port you may have; don't forget exterior receptacles and power jack if you have those. After 'testing' each breaker turn it ON and move to the next; same with the fuses (reinstall the pulled fuse and move to the next).

Note that if you have a fridge that can run on propane or 120volt AC shore power you must shut the propane off at the tank to test the 120 volt AC mode power feed (12 volt DC is required for any mode, so you'll know you've found the associated 12 volt fuse when you pull one and the fridge shuts-off in propane mode).

Be sure your water heater is full before you test that appliance (it, too, requires 12volt DC to operate in any mode).

IMO a worthwhile exercise as knowing what is on each fuse & breaker can greatly speed-up the first step (Check the applicable breaker / fuse) in electrical troubleshooting.

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!

FYI here is what I found when I did this on my trailer (sorely incomplete and with a few gross errors as delivered by ETI):
Attached Thumbnails
AS BUILT AC-DC DISTRIBUTION.jpg  
Old 08-20-2023, 10:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Escape really missed it on the AC breakers.
I went thru all of mine on a Sasquatch and made a new, larger legend for the 12v DC fuses using MS Word.

Charles
Old 08-21-2023, 04:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
On my last 21c when I installed an inverter and subpanel I moved a number of duplexed circuits to single breakers as the subpanel only needed inverter powered circuits. That enabled me to separate the fridge and converter circuits, microwave on its own circuit etc.

On my new rig the victron multiplus powers everything for simplicity. I just don’t turn on the AC and ac hot water heater wihile inverting. Since I removed the stock converter I don’t have to worry about that.
Much simpler install.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 04:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I like 99% of everything about my trailer, but the one thing that pi$$e$ me off is the handwriting on the fuse panel. I SHOULD have told R&T to make certain I could read what was written. There's a standard joke, that electricians took handwriting classes from doctors, because no one can read what either writes! The fuse box for my sticks 'n bricks is just as bad. GRRRRRRRRRRRR
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 05:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I like 99% of everything about my trailer, but the one thing that pi$$e$ me off is the handwriting on the fuse panel. I SHOULD have told R&T to make certain I could read what was written. There's a standard joke, that electricians took handwriting classes from doctors, because no one can read what either writes! The fuse box for my sticks 'n bricks is just as bad. GRRRRRRRRRRRR
We took writing lessons from watching chickens scratching the dirt . Wish it had been from watching doctors lol