Tire leaks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2021, 11:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21C
Tire leaks

Hello,

Our 21C was built in Nov 2020. We have had a few tire issues and are wondering if anyone had similar issues...
- After being parked in the driveway for a few days, the rear tire on the driver's side went flat. I replaced the flat tire with the spare tire. The flat tire didn't show any obvious signs of a puncture, so I inflated the flat tire to 50 PSI, mounted it on the spare tire holder and checked its pressure over the next few weeks and it kept it at 50 PSI (though with no load).
- The day before another trip I checked the tire pressures and all were fine. When we arrived at the campground after about 300 km I noticed that the rear tire on the passenger side had lost significant pressure. I installed the spare tire (the one that had gone flat before) and the tire pressures were fine for the trip home.
I took the tire that had lost pressure to a tire shop. They could not find a puncture or leak and replaced the tire valve and cleaned the tire bead.

Seems odd that this has happened with two of these stock tires.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Hello,

Our 21C was built in Nov 2020. We have had a few tire issues and are wondering if anyone had similar issues...
- After being parked in the driveway for a few days, the rear tire on the driver's side went flat. I replaced the flat tire with the spare tire. The flat tire didn't show any obvious signs of a puncture, so I inflated the flat tire to 50 PSI, mounted it on the spare tire holder and checked its pressure over the next few weeks and it kept it at 50 PSI (though with no load).
- The day before another trip I checked the tire pressures and all were fine. When we arrived at the campground after about 300 km I noticed that the rear tire on the passenger side had lost significant pressure. I installed the spare tire (the one that had gone flat before) and the tire pressures were fine for the trip home.
I took the tire that had lost pressure to a tire shop. They could not find a puncture or leak and replaced the tire valve and cleaned the tire bead.

Seems odd that this has happened with two of these stock tires.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Hi: JohnP... Sometimes it's a case of "Things that go bump in the night"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Mt tires seem to like 45lbs. I set them to 50 and the next time I take a ride and check them, all 4 are back to 45. Really weird all 4 are like that. They've never been lower than 45 so I ain't gonna worry about it. A puzzlement tho.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21
I had the same problem with 2 tires when I first got my trailer. I cured it by inflating all 4 to 70psi and let them sit for a few hours, then back down to 47psi No problems after that. I put new tires on at 40 K miles and did the same procedure with the new tires.
I think that Escape isn't getting a good seat on the beads when they mount these tires.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbudd View Post
I had the same problem with 2 tires when I first got my trailer. I cured it by inflating all 4 to 70psi and let them sit for a few hours, then back down to 47psi No problems after that. I put new tires on at 40 K miles and did the same procedure with the new tires.
I think that Escape isn't getting a good seat on the beads when they mount these tires.
Thanks, I'll try that next time I check them.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
In addition to the valve core, the base of rubber stems and/or interface between the valve stem and wheel can also be a potential leak point, sometimes 'intermittent' if the stem is bumped or subject to vibration.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #7
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
In addition to the valve core, the base of rubber stems and/or interface between the valve stem and wheel can also be a potential leak point, sometimes 'intermittent' if the stem is bumped or subject to vibration.
Interesting... We were just commenting on how well our 21C Goodyear Endurance tires with the metal stems are maintaining their pressures this past year. Much better than the original (Rainier Tires with rubber stems.) Not sure if it's the tires or metal valves or the combo but it is making us consider metal value stems for our Ford Expy when we replace those tires soon. Hummmm -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
.... Not sure if it's the tires or metal valves or the combo but it is making us consider metal value stems for our Ford Expy when we replace those tires soon.
I'm convinced they do have a more robust seal at the wheel so installing metal stems has long been a habit of mine whenever the opportunity arises (i.e. whenever a tire is serviced, even if only one of a set). I've not found any downside to metal stems vs rubber (metal stems not to be confused with decorative metal sleeves).

Having all my tire work done at Discount Tire makes it a no-brainer .... they stock and gladly install nice quality metal stems ILO standard rubber upon customer request at no extra charge.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 21C
Thanks for all the advice. I have also reached out to ETI and will let you know their response.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
We replaced our new ETI tires after 2 months with Goodyear Endurance with steel valves. Received our trailer last January, never felt comfortable with them even thought they held pressure just fine. The Carlisles are now on our little trash haul trailer.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, tire