Troubleshooting electric water heating - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2023, 09:20 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post

Then I stripped off the insulation on the other end of the butt connectors. Voila, in-the-field ferrules.
Where's there a will there's a way.

There's probably a couple of times when I wish that I'd thought of doing that.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:57 PM   #42

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post
Hopefully the Parallax ALS20 automatic load shedding switch can be adjusted so that when the A/C is "on" but not running because the trailer is at temperature, the water heater can use it's wattage.
Basically the ALS20 allows power to the primary device AND the secondary/shed device at the same time, however when the primary device draws more than a minute amount of current (think Microwave light bulb and electronics) then it shuts off the shed circuit (ie water heater).

If the A/C has a fan that runs all the time, its not gonna work properly, as it will never allow the water heater to be powered. If the A/C is sitting static and waiting for the thermostat to start the A/C (both the fan and compressor) then it will probably work as the A/C is not drawing any measurable current.

You will need to contact Parallax and discuss the load thresholds that the unit switches at, they don't have this info on the web site anywhere.

Charles
Old 12-05-2023, 12:12 AM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
kinda glad I have a propane only heater.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:06 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
kinda glad I have a propane only heater.
Me too, sort of. Propane use: 99%, electric 1%. Still, nice to have the electric option if there's a plug available.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:44 AM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Me too, sort of. Propane use: 99%, electric 1%. Still, nice to have the electric option if there's a plug available.

Ron
We use a Vornado space heater purchased at a yard sale over 10 years ago. The thing is indestructible and has done an amazing job of heating our campers when we have shore power available. What I really appreciate about it is the thermostat keeps the fan running even when the heating element is not energized. This helps tremendously with mitigating condensation. I'm sure there are other space heaters on the market that do the same thing.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:00 AM   #46

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We have a 2000 watt, all outlet inverter. The less wiring in the trailer the better. I'm a member of the KISS philosophy group and did not want another panel for air conditioning, refrigerator, and water heater that takes up additional space and adds an extra layer of install/failure.

When camping the fridge plug is pulled (so propane only) and the breaker on the water heater element is flipped to off (so propane only). We find we don't need AC, or fans blowing inside the camper, so don't worry about the AC draining the batteries. OTOH, my starter wife needed a fan blowing on her when in bed at night, we don't.

When we arrive home the trailer sits in our seasonal site .8 mile from our condo. Since it's plugged in until the next camping trip I plug the fridge in to the 120 outlet and flip the breaker on for the water heater.

Now my point of failure is, did I remember to pull the fridge plug and switch the water heater breaker off before leaving the seasonal site?

Works for us,

Perry
Old 12-05-2023, 11:18 AM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
We use a Vornado space heater purchased at a yard sale over 10 years ago. The thing is indestructible and has done an amazing job of heating our campers when we have shore power available. What I really appreciate about it is the thermostat keeps the fan running even when the heating element is not energized. This helps tremendously with mitigating condensation. I'm sure there are other space heaters on the market that do the same thing.
I love my Vornado! I really appreciate the constant fan because it doesn't wake me up when the heat comes on, unlike most furnaces/heaters that 'surge.' It has become white noise for me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:19 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape
I replaced the on/off rocker switch in my electric/propane water heater. I was a little surprised to find 110v running through the switch because the wire gauge seemed small, the switch and its connections seemed cheesy quality. I thought the switch might be 12v operating a solenoid that would supply the 110v. And, the switch is located in a place subject to water and corrosion.

But I do use both electric and propane depending on hookups or boondocking. The electric is super quiet and I run it all the time and let the water run freely. When boondocking I use the propane for a shower otherwise it’s off. That is mainly to conserve on water that is wasted waiting for hot water to get to the faucet. For dishwashing and other small volume needs I heat on the stovetop.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:43 AM   #49

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I love my Vornado! I really appreciate the constant fan because it doesn't wake me up when the heat comes on, unlike most furnaces/heaters that 'surge.' It has become white noise for me.
Our 1500/1125/750 watt Vornado that we purchased about 3 years ago does not have the constant fan. So just because it's a Vornado does not necessarily mean it has a constant fan. Personally, we don't need the constant fan, but others may find it useful.

I was in Costco yesterday and saw these two Vornado 750/375 heaters for sale. Their footprint is much smaller and would work great to keep our LiFePO4 batteries heated when the Minnesota temps get below -10F until we're ready to leave January 15 for Texas and then New Mexico/Arizona. We run the furnace at 50F when traveling down the road in freezing conditions, since we don't use motels (Cracker Barrels for us when on the road.)

Enjoy,

Perry