Turn off your Propane while driving - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #61

thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's what I do... but there are two switches (refrigerator and water heater).
You're forgetting to mention the furnace.
I turn both the water heater and furnace off before traveling. I feel that keeping them on while traveling would be a waste of propane. But that is just my personal opinion.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #63

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
squirrel !!!!!
Old 11-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
True enough, they aren't. Thousands upon thousands (probably millions) of people have refueled while running their rv fridge on propane for many decades. If it hasn't been a problem before, what makes it a problem now? Where are the fires and explosions caused by it? Why not worry about actual problems instead of theoretical ones with no demonstrable incidents?
Some interesting data here on fires at gas stations:

NFPA report - Fires at U.S. Service Stations

According to this, there are, on average, 2 civilian fatalities per year due to these fires. Contrast that with somewhere around 30000 traffic fatalities per year.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
squirrel !!!!!

Where !? Where !?

thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
People are not turning off their refrigerators at gas stations as a number have said here. If you are turning yours off, then you agree with me.
We also have not been turning the refrigerator off fueling up. The water heater is a non issue because it is not on unless we need hot water . We do drive with propane on . I can see all points and guess we will shut done refrigerator before fueling . Simple thing to do . Just changing the way we have been doing over 30 years , but maybe a good idea just in case . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #67

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Heading south in January we've started traveling with the propane heat on to one degree or another. I plead the 5th (US) on whether or not I turn off the appliances when fueling.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #68

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We also have not been turning the refrigerator off fueling up. The water heater is a non issue because it is not on unless we need hot water . We do drive with propane on . I can see all points and guess we will shut done refrigerator before fueling . Simple thing to do . Just changing the way we have been doing over 30 years , but maybe a good idea just in case . Pat
Yes, good idea, Pat. We do not drive with propane and I would never remember to turn off some propane appliance every time. That is because I almost never get gas with the trailer. The gas tank is big enough and my mileage per day is low enough to avoid them.

I know others routinely go into gas stations with their trailers. We have used the trailers a great deal but we usually do not travel a long distance per day as many do. And I can remember having the trailer in some small station some time. I usually don't have to do that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #69
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Yes, you bring up the water heater, too, which many have never considered. If their propane is off at the tanks, they do not have to remember either.
There's no need to consider an appliance which isn't running when towing. I have never towed with the hot water heater running, and don't know of anyone else that does.

The question remains however - is refueling with the fridge running 'dangerous as heck' or 'stupid'? To come to that conclusion I think there should be some evidence to support it.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #70
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
Some interesting data here on fires at gas stations:

NFPA report - Fires at U.S. Service Stations

According to this, there are, on average, 2 civilian fatalities per year due to these fires. Contrast that with somewhere around 30000 traffic fatalities per year.
Thanks Michael. I've seen that report too. Nothing in there about a gas station fire being caused by a trailer fridge however.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #71

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Thanks Michael. I've seen that report too. Nothing in there about a gas station fire being caused by a trailer fridge however.
Right. I should have mentioned that with the link. No breakdown for ignition sources for the vehicle fire component.

My main point was that if someone really wants to stay safe, don't travel by motor vehicle. Risk of an accident is many orders of magnitude greater than fire (from any source) at a gas station.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Dangers lurk everywhere....
Woman Hit by Meterorite

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #73
Site Team

Quote:
My main point was that if someone really wants to stay safe, don't travel by motor vehicle. Risk of an accident is many orders of magnitude greater than fire (from any source) at a gas station.
Yep, completely agree.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #74

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
You're forgetting to mention the furnace.
I turn both the water heater and furnace off before traveling. I feel that keeping them on while traveling would be a waste of propane. But that is just my personal opinion.
I didn't forget the furnace; like you I just don't use it while towing. Water takes a while to heat and not much propane to keep hot, so I have kept the water heater on. If you do use the furnace while towing, then yes it is a third item.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #75

I noticed the 5000 fires at gas stations. I once saw one. Was not there with the trailer and would not want to be, especially with the propane on when such a fire starts even if not started by me. So we now know that gas stations have thousands of fires every year. And twenty million damage. And that will not make a bit of differnce to many. Maybe I should use one of those emoticons or whatever they are called.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #76

Quote:
I agree the most dangerous part about fueling up with your fridge running on propane is the actual drive to the gas station.

OK folks it's time to move along, nothing more to see here
Old 11-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #77

No one is required to read a thread and some of us wish to discuss the situation. I, for one, appreciate Michael's info given.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:05 PM   #78

Old 11-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #79

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I would not want to be at a gas station fire with even my car and it's 10 gallon gas tank. The only safe solution then becomes, never go to a gas station?

The fact that there were 5000 gas station fires is only relevant to this discussion if ANY of those were actually started by an RV's refrigerator running on LP.

My guess (and since we have no actual links showing any real statistics of gas station fires started by RV fridges my guess is as relevant as any statements) is that I have a better chance of winning the lottery than to have my fridge start a fire at a gas station. And my odds of being killed by lightning are probably vastly higher.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #80

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
From my limited research and personal observation of signage at gas stations it appears that two primary causes of fires at gas stations are static electricity ignition usually caused by women getting back into the car once the fuel has started flowing into the tank and cell phone usage while fueling.by either men or women. Also portable fuel containers not being placed on the ground before fuel is started into the container. It all happened so fast Mr or Ms. fireperson.
Dave