Water pump not priming - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2022, 06:30 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The city water connection has a one way valve to specifically prevent it from filling the tank. The pump isn't even in the loop when you are on city water. If it did allow filling the tank, what would stop it from overflowing?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
You may or may not want to try the method that worked for me. But I had similar troubles last year after I received my new 21NE. I did the methods mentioned - reseated the strainer, added water, etc to no avail. I actually sucked on the kitchen water faucet until water flowed. Took several goes to work out all the air pockets in the system. But have not had any issues since.
I went through the steps of pouring water into the filter, etc. and I could see the water coming up the line from the tank when the pump was running. But the water couldn’t make it all the way to the pump until I sucked on the kitchen sink faucet several times, hard.

Great tip, fixed our pump priming problem!
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 02:25 PM   #23
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Just a thought, and I do not know if this would fix the priming problem, but have you thought of adding an accumulator?
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:00 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I don't know about the priming problem because I've never had a problem but I do know that adding an accumulator tank has benefits.

I've installed one on every boat and trailer that I've ever owned. Wouldn't be without one.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:07 PM   #25
Site Team

my pump, about 8 years old now, has never had any problems priming, but it runs for a second or so every couple hours even when we're not using water. I suspect I just need to take apart the one-way valve and clean it and apply a thin smear of plumbing silicone grease to the rubber valve membrane.
Old 08-21-2022, 07:28 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Mine does the same. I have been spending the past 2 years turning the allen screw a 1/4 turn. I still have not hit the magic spot where it stops running. I will say it is better after I replaced the pump three years ago. Not perfect, but better.

My guess is I have more 1/4 turns to go or I have a slight leak in the water line, faucet or aerotator. Spraying with soapy water had not found anything.

I have found it is easy to live with the issue, and it could be solved by turning off the pump.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:35 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
my pump, about 8 years old now, has never had any problems priming, but it runs for a second or so every couple hours even when we're not using water. I suspect I just need to take apart the one-way valve and clean it and apply a thin smear of plumbing silicone grease to the rubber valve membrane.
Personally I would chalk it up to a drippy faucet somewhere....
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Just a thought, and I do not know if this would fix the priming problem, but have you thought of adding an accumulator?
I think an accumulator would be nice, but there’s not much space under that bench on a 5.0

It’s a bummer when you flush the toilet and the water pump isn’t switched on, I bet the accumulator would complete the flush.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:42 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Mine does the same. I have been spending the past 2 years turning the allen screw a 1/4 turn. I still have not hit the magic spot where it stops running. I will say it is better after I replaced the pump three years ago. Not perfect, but better.

My guess is I have more 1/4 turns to go or I have a slight leak in the water line, faucet or aerotator. Spraying with soapy water had not found anything.

I have found it is easy to live with the issue, and it could be solved by turning off the pump.
This may help. This is the setup I followed when I replaced our water pump and it works perfectly. This is not found in the Shurflo manual.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post281696
Old 08-22-2022, 12:47 PM   #30

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I don't know about the priming problem because I've never had a problem but I do know that adding an accumulator tank has benefits.

I've installed one on every boat and trailer that I've ever owned. Wouldn't be without one. Ron
I agree. Installed an accumulator 18 months ago that CPA Harley gave me. The accumulator will also as a side benefit detect leaks in your system. If it kicks in and you have nothing running then there is a leak in the system.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I think an accumulator would be nice, but there’s not much space under that bench on a 5.0

It’s a bummer when you flush the toilet and the water pump isn’t switched on, I bet the accumulator would complete the flush.
There's a certain amount of flexibility on where it's mounted. I'm sure someone with a 5.0 must have installed one. Maybe someone who has can chime in.

Yes, to water in the toilet without the pump being on and for other things like brushing teeth etc.

Ron
Old 08-22-2022, 06:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There's a certain amount of flexibility on where it's mounted. I'm sure someone with a 5.0 must have installed one. Maybe someone who has can chime in.

Yes, to water in the toilet without the pump being on and for other things like brushing teeth etc.

Ron
I took a look under the bench, and I think it could go on the other side of the hot water tank, which is actually where the output of the pump routes to before it splits to hot and cold lines.

It would be nice to see how someone else installed one.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:59 PM   #33

Here's a couple of photos of how I installed them in a 19 and a 21.

In one there wasn't any vertical wall space so I made a "wall" to attach to.

In the second I installed the accumulator horizontally. This works because a diaphragm separates the water from the air.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0007_resize.jpg   IMGP0016_resize.JPG  
Old 08-22-2022, 10:39 PM   #34

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So I guess a new pump every 3-4 years should be standard, something to stockup on...
My pump in my 2007 17B lasted 11 years before I had issues.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:41 PM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Things to check

Are the fittings tight. One of my trailers, the fittings would come loose every couple years. It could be sucking air.

Is the pump running fine and just filling the hot water tank and you aren't waiting long enough.

If your pump is older than 5 years, have a second one on hand.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:02 AM   #36

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
A prime fix

We haven’t quite finished our first year on our 5.0 but I’ve had repeated pump problems. As many have posted previously, we had post winterizing problems with priming. I also went down the cracked strainer route, replacing it without improvement. Bought a new pump and it’s worked fine until this morning in the boonies of Vermont. Pump would run but no pressure at tap. 2/3 full fresh water tank.

I followed another guy‘s advice on this thread. I turned on the pump (after being sure I had an absolutely full freshwater tank), and sucked on the kitchen faucet hard for a while with it turned onto cold water. Lo and behold, a fix! I didn’t even try to open the strainer and put in water to prime it as I saw in the little basin that there was water already present.

Never had this problem before with my 2018 17 B. Don’t know. Suck on that faucet!
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 03:24 AM   #37
Site Team

I've had three trailers now with basically the same sureflow pump, and never had priming problems.