Window shades - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2024, 07:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21'Ne F2 (on order)
Window shades

How do I adjust tension on the window shades? They’re too difficult to open or close.
Crows Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
The shade strings go to buttons / backstabbers at the bottom on each side of each shade. The strings are secured in these by the screw that mounts them to the wall. If you loosen this screw, and then pull on the strings, the tension on the strings will be less causing less tension on the shades. Retighten the screws once you have the tension you want.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:58 PM   #3

Thanks
Old 03-03-2024, 09:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
Hmm, thanks for the ask and the answer! I might have to try this on my back window's shade.
Old 03-03-2024, 03:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Hmm, thanks for the ask and the answer! I might have to try this on my back window's shade.
Hi: Mike G... Someone pulls my strings a lot. She pushes my buttons too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 10:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
If you are making major adjustments, the following may help.

The strings must be routed from the center of the spool to the outside thru the two holes. Routing the other way makes it impossible to tighten or loosen the strings except by tying knots.

Use strong spring clamps found at Home Depot or similar for 99 cents to clip to the window frame or the valance to hold the shade up while you work with the strings.

With the strings run thru the spool from the middle and leaving slack in the string, tie a knot in the strings. With the center screw snug but loose enough to turn the spool, turn the spool COUNTER CLOCK WISE, winding the string onto the spool a couple of turns until it tightens up. Tighten the screw. This way, tenson on the string will tend to tighten the screw, making it very unlikely to work loose.

When both sides are done, remove the clamps and work the shade, adjusting the spools for desired curtain tension.

Bigfoot did all of mine wrong, making adjustment impossible without re-routing the string from the inside of the spool.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Curtain strings and spools 01 correct string routing thru spool.jpg   Curtain strings and spools 02 INcorrect routing of string thru the spool.jpg   Curtain strings and spools 03 using spring clamps to hold the shade up.jpg   Curtain strings and spools 04 cut cords clean and melt the ends.jpg  
Old 03-06-2024, 07:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
If you are making major adjustments, the following may help.

The strings must be routed from the center of the spool to the outside thru the two holes. Routing the other way makes it impossible to tighten or loosen the strings except by tying knots.

Use strong spring clamps found at Home Depot or similar for 99 cents to clip to the window frame or the valance to hold the shade up while you work with the strings.

With the strings run thru the spool from the middle and leaving slack in the string, tie a knot in the strings. With the center screw snug but loose enough to turn the spool, turn the spool COUNTER CLOCK WISE, winding the string onto the spool a couple of turns until it tightens up. Tighten the screw. This way, tenson on the string will tend to tighten the screw, making it very unlikely to work loose.

When both sides are done, remove the clamps and work the shade, adjusting the spools for desired curtain tension.

Bigfoot did all of mine wrong, making adjustment impossible without re-routing the string from the inside of the spool.

Charles
That's very helpful information to know in general. Thanks, Charles.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:32 PM   #8

Window shades

Mine only have one string through spool. See picture
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3624.jpg  
Old 03-07-2024, 09:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
Someone (ETI or previous owner) tightened the screws on mine so tightly, I don't think I can budge them. Oh well, the shades are working...