Concern with the stock tire speed rating? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Kare... What an absolute kerfuffle!!! I'm 100% sure that Reace would never use an unfit tire for towing his products. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
So am I, Alf - which is why I said I'd be surprised if it turned out they are using the Marathons. But, this thread points out a bit of what can happen when a buyer is given incorrect information.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I don't feel comfortable driving at more than 60-65mph pulling the trailer, regardless of what else the traffic is doing or if the speed limit is higher. I figure many of those idiots going way faster (and towing) are just organ donors on wheels. Unfortunately it might not be them that become organ donors, but others that are involved in their accidents.
I understand being a novice tower your concern with speed, that is just fine. As long as one is not hindering traffic, they should by all means drive within their comfort zone. But to call those of us who are comfortable going the speed limit or with the flow of traffic be it at a speed over what you prefer to drive at as idiot organ donors, well......

In case you missed it.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tte-11669.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #63

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Donation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I understand being a novice tower your concern with speed, that is just fine. As long as one is not hindering traffic, they should by all means drive within their comfort zone. But to call those of us who are comfortable going the speed limit or with the flow of traffic be it at a speed over what you prefer to drive at as idiot organ donors, well......

In case you missed it.
Just a warning, if they offer you my liver, you might want to pass. My kidneys however have a trippple AAA rating. And I’m not talking auto clubs here. Ticker, meh
Dave
Old 11-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Just a warning, if they offer you my liver, you might want to pass. My kidneys however have a trippple AAA rating. And I’m not talking auto clubs here. Ticker, meh
Dave
I just got my liver back in shape a year or so ago, ridding it of HepC contracted from bad blood, though I might be able to wring some good stuff outta yours.

I have no doubt despite your driving habits you will be keeping yours until they are pretty much worn out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #65

Confused

Quote:
I just got my liver back in shape a year or so ago, ridding it of HepC contracted from bad blood, though I might be able to wring some good stuff outta yours.

I have no doubt despite your driving habits you will be keeping yours until they are pretty much worn out.
Double entendre or typo?
Tires: I will drive till I get the goodie out of them i.e. worn out.
Liver: I will drink till I get the goodie out of it. i.e. worn out.
Marathon drinking or marathon tires love them both.
And hoping I’ll have another Goodyear.
Dave
Old 11-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #66

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:

In case you missed it.
Laughing here as some of those that read that thread have been sending PMs to individuals that aren't exactly nice in content.

I stand by my comment of being idiots. What about your extra stopping distance pulling a trailer? Do you take that into account when speeding? I've seen way too many folks pulling trailers that are going way too fast and I always wish there was a State Patrol near by that could pull them over and confirm (with a high priced ticket) what an idiot they are.

And I have towed before we got this trailer (multiple times cross country with an enclosed cargo trailer), so not a complete novice. I just don't see the need for speed. I do see the need for plenty of stopping time and distance, especially for when traffic takes a sudden downward change in speed.

And per the traffic laws of WA and OR (where I've done most of my travel trailer towing), I am going the speed limit of either 60 or 65 when towing.

My mother was killed in a car crash in 1999 by two idiots going over the speed limit, so that might have some influence on how I feel about those types of drivers. Yes, she became an organ donor.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #67

Trailer: 2015 escape 17b -sia-
Arrow

good morning...very apparent that there is a lot of tire
knowledge of original escape tires...
I own a 2015 escape 17b with the following on alum.rims...
Carlisle radial trail rh
st 205/75/r15
tread 4 plies 2 polyester/2 steel
load range c
max load 825 kg or 1820 lbs
50 psi sidewall 2 plies
anyone have an idea of max speed rating of these
---been to the escape factory a few times over last
couple of years...highway between chillawack and hope
comparable to Talladega speedway- speedwise thot about
adding number to my tow...I keep-up..just saying
fgunderson thankyou-sia down the roadjust say, ridding it of HepC contracted from bad blood, though I might be able to wring some good stuff outta yours.

I have no doubt despite your driving habits you will be keeping yours until they are pretty much worn out. [/QUOTE]
fgunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #68
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There are parts of Idaho where the speed is 80mph.. and yes, two lane roads and not just flat and straight either. Dang. Going to the Tetons last year, there was no way I was going to tow that fast, not with tires with a lower speed rating and towing something weighing close to two tons. The idea of doing that speed, cresting a hill and THEN finding out traffic was at a dead top on the downside would give me the heebie geebies. Not being able to see traffic stack up behind me was actually a relief because there was nothing I could do about it anyway except hope a passing lane was coming up shortly.

However fast you drive, please get to your destination safely.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #69

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgunderson View Post
good morning...very apparent that there is a lot of tire
knowledge of original escape tires...
Carlisle radial trail rh
st 205/75/r15
load range c
50 psi sidewall 2 plies
[/QUOTE]

See post #11 for a chart.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There are parts of Idaho where the speed is 80mph.. and yes, two lane roads and not just flat and straight either.

Donna. Another consideration that looms on those high speed stretches is the personal knowledge that your trailer brakes are set up do their job at the minimum and it don’t hurt to have the voltage up a little in the high speed situations. Trailer brakes ; They're not for just Mountains.
Dave
Old 11-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #71

thank you mr.baglo...appreciate info...
missed that chart...speedrating appears to me
to be 81 mph...for these tires
don t expect to be going anywhere near that
speed with my 17b behind me thanks again
have a great day...fgunderson
Old 11-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #72
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There are parts of Idaho where the speed is 80mph.. and yes, two lane roads and not just flat and straight either. Dang. Going to the Tetons last year, there was no way I was going to tow that fast, not with tires with a lower speed rating and towing something weighing close to two tons. The idea of doing that speed, cresting a hill and THEN finding out traffic was at a dead top on the downside would give me the heebie geebies. Not being able to see traffic stack up behind me was actually a relief because there was nothing I could do about it anyway except hope a passing lane was coming up shortly.

I'm with you Donna. Your towing speed should be based on a number of factors, not just the speed limit. And, whenever it gets a bit sketchy, you can always slow down.

We probably average 62 to 65 mph towing. Having said that, there have been a couple of places like on I-10 in the middle of west Texas (where the speed limit is 85 and the cars are actually going faster than that), where I might tow as fast as 75.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #73

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
thank you mr.baglo...appreciate info...
missed that chart...speedrating appears to me
to be 81 mph...for these tires
don t expect to be going anywhere near that
speed with my 17b behind me thanks again
have a great day...fgunderson
The Radial RT were rated to 65mph, it was only with the introduction of the Radial HD that Carlisle raised it to the 81 mph rating. At least that is my experience from owning both.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #74

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Brian I am still confused . If our tires say max 65 lbs shouldn't you put more air then 50 lbs in them ? Pat
Only if you need more load capacity, which you don't.

Or you should put enormous tires from a tractor-trailer rig on your travel trailer, and inflate them to 110 psi so they can handle 10,000 pounds each... depending on who you want to listen to.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #75

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Carlisle radial trail rh
st 205/75/r15
load range c
50 psi sidewall 2 plies
That's a great roundup of the information on the sidewall, but unfortunately none of it includes the speed rating, and the chart provided earlier (in post #11) is for a different and newer model of tire (the Carlisle Radial Trail HD). Non-authoritative Information from Carlisle posted in a discussion in another forum indicated that a ST205/75R15 Radial Trail RH had a speed index of N, corresponding to a sustained speed of 87 mph.

If there is a load and speed index shown after the size designation (ST205/75R15), it could include a letter, such as "M" for 81 mph or "N" for 87 mph (as shown in the tables in posts #7 and #12).

In the absence of any specific speed index (the letter) or rating (a speed), any ST tire has a default speed rating of the 65 mph which Eric mentioned (or 62 mph, depending on the source). Personally, I would say that if it's not shown on the sidewall, it's not a legitimate rating. The same model of tire is often made in several factories - in different countries and even operated by different companies - and may have different specifications depending on the source.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Our 19 hatched in August with "Rainier ST" tires mounted on white steel wheels, load range D, 65 psi max. I don't know who makes these tires as I've never heard of a Rainier tire and there is no other name or make on them.
With our previous trailers we would run 65 psi max tires at 62psi. I was just wondering about being told to run them at 50psi at orientation, and the pros/cons of this? I could not find any speed rating on the tires.
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's a great roundup of the information on the sidewall, but unfortunately none of it includes the speed rating, and the chart provided earlier (in post #11) is for a different and newer model of tire (the Carlisle Radial Trail HD). Non-authoritative Information from Carlisle posted in a discussion in another forum indicated that a ST205/75R15 Radial Trail RH had a speed index of N, corresponding to a sustained speed of 87 mph.

If there is a load and speed index shown after the size designation (ST205/75R15), it could include a letter, such as "M" for 81 mph or "N" for 87 mph (as shown in the tables in posts #7 and #12).

In the absence of any specific speed index (the letter) or rating (a speed), any ST tire has a default speed rating of the 65 mph which Eric mentioned (or 62 mph, depending on the source). Personally, I would say that if it's not shown on the sidewall, it's not a legitimate rating. The same model of tire is often made in several factories - in different countries and even operated by different companies - and may have different specifications depending on the source.
brian...understand now chart for hd not rh-which is what I
have...very confusing finding and understanding speed ratings
for trailer tires...guess i'll continue on at a safe a speed as I can
determine from posted speeds to road conditions and traffic flow
tho I may send an e-mail to escape for their opinion as only load
range c on sidewall-no speed code or rating...will be watching
forum for recommendations on brands of tires when I need to
replace in 2 years...have a good one-be safe...fgunderson
Old 11-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #78

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks Doug for getting us some tire info on a late model build including the type of rim. As this will be my configuration, I will have to check further into them.
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #79
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
As this will be my configuration, I will have to check further into them.
I would not count on that. The photo I posted above (post #56) is from a later October build, and has the Carlisles.

There does seem to be some inconsistency here regarding the brand they use. Best to check with Escape directly and pin it down.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #80

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I will check with them in March and see what the flavour of the day is...The picture in post 56 is on an aluminium rim and that could easily come from a completely different supplier than Dougs steel white wheels. Maybe there is more to the aluminium upgrade than just the pretty looks.
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speed rating, tires