Caulking and sealant maintenance! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2022, 09:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
By the way, when people talk about "Butyl Tape" what exactly are you using? I've used this eternabond double stick product before. 60 mil thickness and like most eternabond goods it really sticks.

https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=15343
Butyl tape isn't really tape the way you're thinking of it (eternabond), it's more of a caulklike substance in a roll with a papery backer, like a roll of tape in shape. Butyl tape is used in between a window frame and the opening where they meet and overlap; as one tightens the frame into position the 'tape' oozes out somewhat and you cut away the excess. It's a bedding sealant. Stays pliable, works well. But it's a different application than eternabond.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:42 AM   #22

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Butyl tape isn't really tape the way you're thinking of it (eternabond), it's more of a caulklike substance in a roll with a papery backer, like a roll of tape in shape. Butyl tape is used in between a window frame and the opening where they meet and overlap; as one tightens the frame into position the 'tape' oozes out somewhat and you cut away the excess. It's a bedding sealant. Stays pliable, works well. But it's a different application than eternabond.
Yes, that sounds like the eternabond product. The link I put in is not for the Eternabond product that you typically think of, which is sticky on one side and smooth on the other. This stuff is essentially the sticky part of Eternabond tape without the smooth part on the other side. As you said, like caulking in tape form is a good way to describe it.
I have some here and just wondered about the 60 mil thickness. Seems quite thick to call it "tape" but I think it would compress quite well.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:18 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Proflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Thanks Fender. It seems that it is firmly adhered to the gel coat and I would have to either cut or scrape it off. I think I will clean off the gap area with isopropyl alcohol and then put a narrow bead over it. This caulking is supposed to adhere to itself, but I just needed some reassurance that it was okay in this situation.

Bob K
Applying over the top after cleaning with alcohol is what I’ve done since 2013 on our Escapes. Like you I check it every spring and it takes minimal caulk to tune things up. When done, I put a small screw or nail in the nose if the tube and use electrical tape to further seal the tip. Then I put the tube in an oversized food saver bag that I’ve cut off a roll and seal it. The next time I need caulk I carefully cut below the seal , remove the tube, and open it up. It’s still been pliable after 3 years. Then back in the bag and seal it up again. I get 3 years out of the bag too.
Yes I am a Bohemie. (1/2). The smart half. Have a good day and be careful on the ladder.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-14-2022, 07:53 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
And thank you Dave. I needed some assurance I was doing the right thing. I did wonder if I needed to cut off some of the ProFlex at the top, but I think if I am careful I can do a bead over the crack. Now I'm just waiting for our winter storms to pass before applying. It has been below freezing lately.
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:29 PM   #25

Staying positive

69 at midnight yesterday. 29 this morning with snow and this afternoon 59 mph wind gusts. I will say the garden center was empty when I bought some onion plants and seed potatoes this afternoon. Changeable weather for sure. I’ve had nothing but good results with Proflex.
Yours for great camping this season and a happy Easter.
A 45 year tradition carries on with the grandkids.
Attached Thumbnails
44D61152-D87B-46C5-B819-7405DD1BF302.jpg  
Old 04-15-2022, 06:10 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I see someone likes Reese's candy.....
Old 04-15-2022, 08:41 AM   #27

Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I see someone likes Reese's candy.....
Hey Jim
Did you miss the foil wrapped eggs? The first time grandkids usually do. Sometimes we
Leave them set till they stop by again and other times when I feel like eating chalk disguised as a cheap chocolate egg, I eat them.
Garlic is up about four inches but I haven’t taken the straw off yet. Looks like about 95% success on overwintering.
Have a great Easter and tell Noelia hello from us .
Iowa Dave
Old 04-15-2022, 09:54 AM   #28

Thanks Dave,
BTW, will you and the missus be in attendance at Osoyoos? We are in site #64,. hope to see you both.....
Old 04-16-2022, 05:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I was checking the caulking on my 2015 Escape 21 and saw that there is a slight crack between the caulking and the vent fixture. I think it is Proflex, and if so do I need to remove it to seal the crack or can I just clean it with isopropyl alcohol and reseal on top of the old stuff.

Bob K
I went to buy some ProFlex and showed the photo to some people at Traveland. They clearly didn't have a clue, because on guy tried to tell me it was butyl tape. So I came back and had another look at it. I think it may be Di-Cor or some other sealant, because it is hard, but rubbery, and has a rough texture (you can see this if you zoom in on the photo), not hard and smooth. Also, it is definitely not self-levelling. Is Di-Cor rubbery?

Bob K
Old 04-16-2022, 05:52 PM   #30

Here you go https://www.amazon.com/Geocel-28101V...ps%2C89&sr=8-2
Old 04-16-2022, 08:01 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
On my 2015 Escape 21, the gray and black tank vents are caulked with Dicor Non Sag Lap sealant.
Old 04-17-2022, 12:42 AM   #32

Thanks, Tom. After looking at videos of what ProFlex looks like on application, I had doubts that it was the caulking on my gray tank vent. What threw me was the texture on the caulking (visible if you look closely at the photo). Seeing as we have the same year and model and I will get the Dicor Non Sag.

Bob K
Old 06-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
Does anyone know what kind of sealant is used underneath the exterior led marker lights? I replaced one of the marker lights and there was some clear, still tacky and very tenacious adhesive/sealant around the hole for the wires and on the back of the light fixture.
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:01 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Had to do same replacement and it was a dark color. Turned out to be real butyl tape. Very sticky. There is some fake stuff out there.

Send escape an email at partsandservice@escape.com & ask what they use now.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Had to do same replacement and it was a dark color. Turned out to be real butyl tape. Very sticky. There is some fake stuff out there.

I did send an email to Dustin who originally pointed me to the proper replacement in the first place. I will report what I find out from him.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:56 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
What did he point you to?
Old 06-06-2022, 09:05 PM   #37

Kaper II L14-0079R Red LED Marker/Clearance Light https://a.co/d/cVFOp07
Old 06-07-2022, 03:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

The answer is Proflex, that is some seriously tough stuff that seems to retain flexibility.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:59 AM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
I'm terrible at caulking. Usually make an ugly mess. Wish Proflex came in tape form. Has anyone used Instatrim? Here's the description.

We have engineered a unique adhesive on all of our InstaTrim Products. Our adhesive is unique in that it does not dry out and become hard or brittle. In addition, our adhesive is non-toxic and is a rubber based adhesive called “butyl”. The other advantage with our adhesive is that it provides adhesion even with small amounts of movement between two dissimilar materials such as a floating wood floor and base trim. InstaTrim’s adhesive will last for many years and provide protection from dirt, debris, moisture and even bugs.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:06 PM   #40

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Our 2007 Escape 17B didn't require anything till it was about 10 years old. The bathroom vent needed to be replaced, it was a 9"x9" hinged vent. Escape hasn't used them in a long time. The fixed window also leaked, but that was because the rubber shrank, I used black RTV gasket maker to reinstall the window.

For sealing, I was told by the RV dealer to go to Home Depot and buy LePage Quad. It worked well on the 17B and would use it again.