Oxidation Removal - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-04-2017, 12:19 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,403
Oxidation Removal

Ok, so I checked and didn't see any in-depth thread on this subject. Our 21 turned 3 last month and we haven't covered it. After some research I've decided to use Meguiar's # 67 with a DEWALT DWP849X. This is a variable speed rotary polisher, not a Dual-Action random orbital. Gel coats evidently need the heat and friction to remove oxidation and restore the gelcoat. Will post some pics of before & after. This guy made it clear for me. The DeWalt I bought didn't include the kit he shows and was $153. on Amazon. Also bought three wool pads to buff with.


Boat buffer versus car buffers; you better know the difference.
__________________

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A -- "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,848
Sounds too much like work to me, Ross. I'll stick with Aero 303; we can compare results in a couple of years.
__________________

__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
In Orbe Terrum Non Visi / RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:35 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,786
I use my son-in-law, equipped with a Porter Cable polisher, his collection of abrasive creams ( polishes ) talent and experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steve polish.jpg (213.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Steven polish.jpg (67.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Steven touch.jpg (189.0 KB, 35 views)
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,403
Hi Don- let's compare! 303 is a great product, however don't believe it is the best for gelcoats.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:24 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Chapitre's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Posts: 442
I think duration of time, and how much time spent in hot sun affects it no matter what you use, or do.Ours is a 2014 as well, we spent 4 months at a time in the direct hot sun of Florida.
Ours started oxidizing last year. We used Mcguires marine liquid wax, we waxed it 4 times a year, and waxed the Front of the trailer, more than that. Oxidization still showed up.
It sure would be nice to find a product, that just by using it- would stop it all together, I'm not sure it exists. The first 2 years it looked brand new, then the Oxidization seemed to happen fairly quickly.
__________________
Min D
Chapi II
--------------------
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 345
Has anyone gone to Polyglow ? I ended up doing that with our 13 year old Casita, and it does make it shine better than new. However, I really don't want to get into that with our new Escape ( pickup June '18), it's a ton of work. I was hoping that keeping it covered along with frequent waxing would suffice, but it doesn't look like that will be the case... Uh oh...

All this cutting compound with buffing slowly removes the gelcoat.

( This is another huge debate on the Casita forums...btw...)
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,403
This quote from a Meguiar's Product Specialist makes sense to me. If I wait too long it will end up looking like a yukky Casita around the corner. Going forward I think using the right Cleaner Wax (#61) regularly is going to help keep oxidation from accumulating.

"Gel coat is a whole different animal than automotive paint. If you've got gel coat dating back to '99 it's actually getting fairly old, and if it hasn't been taken care of very regularly you're going to be in a position of having to really stay on it now to keep it looking good. Gel coat is a lot thicker, a lot harder, and much more porous than automotive paint is. This means it usually requires a more aggressive compound/abrasive makeup than what you want on paint. Which is why 3M and Meguiar's both make gel coat specific products (and, no they are not the same products in different bottles!). While you can use automotive products like Ultimate Compound on oxidized gel coat, they usually aren't quite strong enough to really do the job.

If you really need to get through the oxidation we'd suggest using either our M44 Oxidation Remover or M67 One Step Compound. We're inclined to go with M67 given your description as it's a great all around compound/cleaner for gel coats that are showing some age. But even so, you're going to need to do some very regular waxing on this surface to keep it looking good over time. That means maybe even just going with M61 Flagship Premium Cleaner Wax once you've got the oxidation removed. Regular use of this wax will clean light, fresh oxidation that is going to develop over time (and it will come quicker now that the gel coat has aged this much) and help to keep the finish looking fresh. M61 is going to offer better protection than our M56 Pure Wax and it's going to give you that cleaning ability that M56 lacks. But it's important to use M61 Flagship Premium Cleaner Wax and not just the M63 Flagship Premium Marine Wax.
Michael Stoops
Senior Global Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Inc.
"Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy."

Edit: try this link- http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...VgpHHVFF7jw.97
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
This quote from a Meguiar's Product Specialist makes sense to me. If I wait too long it will end up looking like a yukky Casita around the corner. Going forward I think using the right Cleaner Wax (#61) regularly is going to help keep oxidation from accumulating.

"Gel coat is a whole different animal than automotive paint. If you've got gel coat dating back to '99 it's actually getting fairly old, and if it hasn't been taken care of very regularly you're going to be in a position of having to really stay on it now to keep it looking good. Gel coat is a lot thicker, a lot harder, and much more porous than automotive paint is. This means it usually requires a more aggressive compound/abrasive makeup than what you want on paint. Which is why 3M and Meguiar's both make gel coat specific products (and, no they are not the same products in different bottles!). While you can use automotive products like Ultimate Compound on oxidized gel coat, they usually aren't quite strong enough to really do the job.

If you really need to get through the oxidation we'd suggest using either our M44 Oxidation Remover or M67 One Step Compound. We're inclined to go with M67 given your description as it's a great all around compound/cleaner for gel coats that are showing some age. But even so, you're going to need to do some very regular waxing on this surface to keep it looking good over time. That means maybe even just going with M61 Flagship Premium Cleaner Wax once you've got the oxidation removed. Regular use of this wax will clean light, fresh oxidation that is going to develop over time (and it will come quicker now that the gel coat has aged this much) and help to keep the finish looking fresh. M61 is going to offer better protection than our M56 Pure Wax and it's going to give you that cleaning ability that M56 lacks. But it's important to use M61 Flagship Premium Cleaner Wax and not just the M63 Flagship Premium Marine Wax.
Michael Stoops

Read more at http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...exDiHFX8hlK.99


I wonder if using lots of M63 right off the bat would eliminate the need for the cleaner waxing ? Or, can we not stop the oxidation at all? Is it inevitable ? ( I have fantasized about just painting our fiberglass camper like a car, good quality paint with clearcoat. )
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
I wonder if using lots of M63 right off the bat would eliminate the need for the cleaner waxing ? Or, can we not stop the oxidation at all? Is it inevitable ? ( I have fantasized about just painting our fiberglass camper like a car, good quality paint with clearcoat. )
At least the roof, like Airstreams.....
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
At least the roof, like Airstreams.....


The top half of these campers do get the worst of it. The bottom half of our Casita was actually fine but the top went very chalky.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
No good deed goes unpunished.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
kstock11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 806
I also find a Huge difference between sides of the trailer. The passenger side gets morning sun and also less runoff from the roof due to awning and always looks like new. The drivers side gets afternoon sun. Also, my 19 sits right next to an airport with lots of pollutants falling from the sky. I’m constantly using polishing compound and marine polish. This time I’m trying a double coat of marine polish to see if that helps. I use elbow “grease “ and am starting to feel symptoms of repetitive motion soreness in my shoulder! Maybe time to look into a polisher? (Battery as no electric where I store)
__________________
Kevin
Thanks to the interstate highway system, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything - Charles Kuralt
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,403
Here's a cordless Milwaukee. Little pricey, but shoulder injuries can be $$$!

Am going to use my inverter when I do the roof so I can park in shade around the corner with no electric outlets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cordless.jpg (67.4 KB, 14 views)
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Front Range, Colorado
Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Posts: 526
I waxed the top of the trailer but couldn't reach it to buff it out and after a month and several trips it is still needing to be buffed out. I suspect the excess wax protects the top even more than buffing it off does. I also spray the Maxx Fans, bathroom fan lid, solar panel and lights with Aero 303 and managed to get overspray on top of the trailer. Some time I may look into a wrap or having the whole trailer painted but for the next several years I will just wax it, store it outside in the sun with no cover, replace the tires every 4 or 5 years and not worry much. Oxidized gel coat accepts paint better than new gel coat. (But you gotta clean it.) I did buy a can of Fusion paint in Dover White and painted the big 18 X 23 vent lid and some of the plastic covers on the side of the trailer and the white wheel covers. Paint blocks UV light very well and will protect plastic better than clear sprays.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I waxed the top of the trailer but couldn't reach it to buff it out and after a month and several trips it is still needing to be buffed out. I suspect the excess wax protects the top even more than buffing it off does. I also spray the Maxx Fans, bathroom fan lid, solar panel and lights with Aero 303 and managed to get overspray on top of the trailer. Some time I may look into a wrap or having the whole trailer painted but for the next several years I will just wax it, store it outside in the sun with no cover, replace the tires every 4 or 5 years and not worry much. Oxidized gel coat accepts paint better than new gel coat. (But you gotta clean it.) I did buy a can of Fusion paint in Dover White and painted the big 18 X 23 vent lid and some of the plastic covers on the side of the trailer and the white wheel covers. Paint blocks UV light very well and will protect plastic better than clear sprays.


You might try Polyglow. It's worked well for our Casita for years. It's basically a polymer clear coat, supposedly with UV protection. It's not floor finish, we tried that,...epic fail.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
No good deed goes unpunished.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 4,207
This is what our local Wenonah Canoe recommends for their gel glossed fiberglass and kevlar canoes: SPF-50 Boat Guard ... Expensive - looks like it would be about $15 per application
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
This is what our local Wenonah Canoe recommends for their gel glossed fiberglass and kevlar canoes: SPF-50 Boat Guard Expensive - looks like it would be about $15 per application

Description
Maxiglide Boatguard Spf-50 Boat Polish Spf-50 Blends A Special Formula Teflon Technology With An Advanced Ultraviolet Reflectant That Will Not Leave A Yellow Finish. Teflon Molecules Are 1/10 The Size Of Wax For Better Surface Penetration, Longer Lasting Protection, That Actually Fills The Fiberglass Surface Replacing Oxidized Molecules. No Drying Time Or Hard To Remove Residue. A True One-Step Polish, Sealant, And Restorant For All Fiberglass And Kevlar Boats, Canoes, Kayaks. Weight: 16 Oz. This Item Is In Category: Water Sports > Treatments Brand: Maxiglide.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
No good deed goes unpunished.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 4,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I use my son-in-law, equipped with a Porter Cable polisher, his collection of abrasive creams ( polishes ) talent and experience.
Glenn's son-in-law is a pro and know exactly what he is doing. This is pretty good article about boat buffer types specifically for gel coats, etc before you run out and buy one:http://www.best-auto-detailing-tips....-polisher.html

I'm in the camp that it easier to prevent oxidation as much as possible before it happens than to have to remove it afterward. I'm old enough to remember a lot of people ruining their car finishes with the old high speed buffers. Swirl marks everywhere......
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #18
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,698
I had an uncle who once removed bird sap from a black car with brillo pads, did not look too good after that.
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 4,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had an uncle who once removed bird sap from a black car with brillo pads, did not look too good after that.
He was going for the semi-gloss look!
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Glenn's son-in-law is a pro and know exactly what he is doing. This is pretty good article about boat buffer types specifically for gel coats, etc before you run out and buy one:http://www.best-auto-detailing-tips....-polisher.html

I'm in the camp that it easier to prevent oxidation as much as possible before it happens than to have to remove it afterward. I'm old enough to remember a lot of people ruining their car finishes with the old high speed buffers. Swirl marks everywhere......


Very nice article.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
No good deed goes unpunished.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×