Torque Wrench & Socket Idea? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21'
Torque Wrench & Socket Idea?

Anyone have any ideas on a good torque wrench for the trailer tires? I've been looking at this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Overkill?

Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Maury:
I never owned a torque wrench, always borrowed one until we got the Escape. I like a click stop wrench as long as this one holds up and is reasonably accurate you really don't use them all that often like a mechanic who is torquing nuts every day. You can spend a lot more on a
Wrench, none of them take a Lot of abuse. You need to loosen nuts with a socket and breaker bar or equivalent, not the torque wrench. If you don't like it, take it back, that's my take.
Dave

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
I sorta lean towards Sears Craftsman. Usually on sale and can always be returned if/when broken.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19' "Hardley" 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
I sorta lean towards Sears Craftsman. Usually on sale and can always be returned if/when broken.
I like craftsman too but be carful. The craftsman lifetime warranty doesn't apply to everything anymore. Looks like some torque wrenches are covered forever, some for 1year, some for only 90 days. I can't post a pick from my iPad so here's a link to the warranty page.

Warranty Information - Craftsman

Also as the OleMan says, some are on sale now.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Nothing wrong with the one you show, good enough for your purpose. And no, it's not overkill. Here's the same one at HD, priced the same when on sale. No complaints there either.

TEKTON 1/2 in. Drive Click Torque Wrench-24335 - The Home Depot
Old 12-06-2015, 05:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
I like craftsman too but be carful. The craftsman lifetime warranty doesn't apply to everything anymore. Looks like some torque wrenches are covered forever, some for 1year, some for only 90 days. I can't post a pick from my iPad so here's a link to the warranty page.

Warranty Information - Craftsman

Also as the OleMan says, some are on sale now.
The last time I was in Sears I noted that Craftsman sickets (and presumably other Craftsman tools) are no longer being manufactured in North America. Guess I don't have to say where they are now made but I wouldn't be surprised if the "lifetime" warranty gets revised or disappears altogether.

I carry a torque wrench that I purchased at Walmart, @ $30, which I use for lug nuts when traveling, and I have checked its performance with a much more expensive torque wrench and the inexpensive one is close enough to insure proper torque.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:17 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Harbor Freight sells a lot of junk tools. They also sell Pittsburgh-brand torque wrenches. Car Craft Magazine has given them a thumbs up.... "Impressive Accuracy... amazing value." On sale, I bought a 1/2" drive for $9.99. For something used a couple of times a year, I'm happy.

It's on sale again with a coupon! http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...D%0AOCJ9%0D%0A
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I started buying Kobalt tools from Lowes. I'm planning on buying their torque wrench because of the generous warranty.

Shop Kobalt 1/2-in Drive Click 50-ft-lbs - 250-ft-lbs Torque Wrench at Lowes.com
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
While I have a good large torque wrench at home, no way am I bringing that along in the trailer. I do carry a regular 1/2" ratchet, and often bring along my electronic torque adaptor, a combination much lighter and easier to store.

That said, I rarely carry either, other than the first trip after the tires get remounted, just as a check after a while. I very rarely find a lug nut has lessoned at all, let alone to a critical degree. I can pretty much tell with a wrench that I have adequate torque, if you are off by a good 10 ft lbs either way, the is no problem.

How many people actually check the torque on all your cars and trucks after wheel changes? They are no different than our trailer tires, and it is recommended to check torques on them to. Yet, many worry only about our trailers for some reason.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
While I've got a nice torque wrench at home, my calibrated biceps and a breaker bar seem adequate for the road.

I already carry too much stuff.

sturski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
torque wrench