2023 Mississippi River Rendezvous September 22-24 - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2023, 04:35 PM   #181

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
That’s the snake ok. There are several species in our area but they need protection. I’m still fantasizing about getting down to southern Illinois for a walk on snake alley. I’ve never seen a cottonmouth in the wild.
Iowa Dave
Dave, I have plenty of cottonmouths in my creek next to my camping site in the Ozarks!

By the way, building my ICF house is coming along. They pour concrete walls on Wednesday!
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 4.34.30 PM.jpg   Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 4.34.14 PM.jpg  
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:00 PM   #182

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
Dave, I have plenty of cottonmouths in my creek next to my camping site in the Ozarks!

By the way, building my ICF house is coming along. They pour concrete walls on Wednesday!
Wow, that’s neat. I had to google ICF. It’s Insulated Concrete Forms. Makes for a durable home with insulation qualities.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:00 PM   #183

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Whoa!

You're going to have an undisclosed location bunker with that house. Termites ain't got a chance, and you'll be pretty much cyclone proof.

Best of building luck.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 10:19 AM   #184

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:

Looking good there! Long way to go, but when it's done I'm sure you will be snug as a bug in a rug.

I just spent last week at Cobb Ridge in Mark Twain NF. Not too noisy during midweek, but full of dirt bikes and ATVs roaring around on the weekends, so I leave on Friday. Your spot looks very quiet! Are you camping there in the meantime, or someplace else nearby?
Old 10-02-2023, 12:04 PM   #185

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Thanks Paul for your guidance and recognition that a good rally is like raising a youngster. It takes effort from many sides to assure a well rounded outcome. My personal high point was the video Eric took of the 5 foot common water snake visiting our campsite, three sand hill cranes that were hanging around all weekend and all the nice folks who stopped by our site for a visit.
Iowa Dave
Thanks Dave. Kudos Paul and all of the marshals. Great job! Our 4-legged youngsters seemed to enjoy the rally too! And some are getting bigger (photos of our "Escape" doggie from last year and this year).
Attached Thumbnails
6K2A9344 mod.jpeg   6K2A0937.jpeg   6K2A0943.jpeg  
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 12:15 PM   #186

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
About next year we’re gonna need a refrigerator box to keep up the theme for that beautiful Labrador. We improved on our nights out count from the past few Pandemic affected years and next year might be the year to set a new record. I have some local friends here in Eastern Iowa who are “slowing down” for a number of reasons. I can’t make that decision for anyone but myself and I’m not ready to slow down. I don’t have a bucket list, just a desire to see some new country.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-02-2023, 12:23 PM   #187

Egret?

This guy was in the marsh/lagoon next to the road as we left the campground. I think this is a great egret. Can anyone confirm?
Attached Thumbnails
6K2A1001.jpeg  
Old 10-02-2023, 12:24 PM   #188

Quote:
About next year we’re gonna need a refrigerator box to keep up the theme for that beautiful Labrador. We improved on our nights out count from the past few Pandemic affected years and next year might be the year to set a new record. I have some local friends here in Eastern Iowa who are “slowing down” for a number of reasons. I can’t make that decision for anyone but myself and I’m not ready to slow down. I don’t have a bucket list, just a desire to see some new country.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-02-2023, 02:09 PM   #189

Egret

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
This guy was in the marsh/lagoon next to the road as we left the campground. I think this is a great egret. Can anyone confirm?
Yes it is an Egret. There were three different ones down on the east side slough at Thompson. If you watch them for a while they are very patient fishermen, or fisherwomen. I am not sure if they see the small fish swimming below them or If they are motionless to the degree that the fish “bump” into their legs or feet. Whatever, it triggers a reaction that is lighting fast. Their beak goes into the shallow water and comes up with a fish. At Thompson it’s usually a bluegill. They usually hold the fish for a few seconds till it’s done wiggling and then drop it. The fish floats, and momentarily the Egret picks the fish up and swallows him whole. Sometimes the Egret stays put and sometimes he doesn’t. However, very often a great blue Heron has been observing the Egret and seeing the Egret’s success, flies in and lands pretty close. The lightweight punt receiver Egret noting the size of the offensive lineman Heron, flies off and the Heron takes his fishing spot. This is repeated several times a day.

And you wondered what the fat guy in site 46 was looking at as he slouched in his camp chair for hours on end. Now You know.

Saw my first red fox enter a pond in September and swim with only his nose out of the water. Then after a few minutes he ducked his head under and when he came out onto land shook vigorously like a dog. This is designed to rid him of fleas and other pests in his fur. He was a young fox undergoing the fall shuffle and was out in the middle of the day. Ernest Thompson Seton had described this behavior over a hundred years ago and I learned of it when I was about 13. Though I’ve encountered many foxes over the years it took over 6 decades to see a swimming fox with only his nose out of water. The Fall shuffle is well documented and was studied in depth by Mr Ron Andrews, Iowa’s former fur bearing animal biologist in his book The Red Fox in Iowa about 40 years ago. Next up, the rare “Outdoorsman” Boy Scout shoulder patch.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-02-2023, 10:36 PM   #190

Quote:
Yes it is an Egret. There were three different ones down on the east side slough at Thompson. If you watch them for a while they are very patient fishermen, or fisherwomen. I am not sure if they see the small fish swimming below them or If they are motionless to the degree that the fish “bump” into their legs or feet. Whatever, it triggers a reaction that is lighting fast. Their beak goes into the shallow water and comes up with a fish. At Thompson it’s usually a bluegill. They usually hold the fish for a few seconds till it’s done wiggling and then drop it. The fish floats, and momentarily the Egret picks the fish up and swallows him whole. Sometimes the Egret stays put and sometimes he doesn’t. However, very often a great blue Heron has been observing the Egret and seeing the Egret’s success, flies in and lands pretty close. The lightweight punt receiver Egret noting the size of the offensive lineman Heron, flies off and the Heron takes his fishing spot. This is repeated several times a day.

And you wondered what the fat guy in site 46 was looking at as he slouched in his camp chair for hours on end. Now You know.

Saw my first red fox enter a pond in September and swim with only his nose out of the water. Then after a few minutes he ducked his head under and when he came out onto land shook vigorously like a dog. This is designed to rid him of fleas and other pests in his fur. He was a young fox undergoing the fall shuffle and was out in the middle of the day. Ernest Thompson Seton had described this behavior over a hundred years ago and I learned of it when I was about 13. Though I’ve encountered many foxes over the years it took over 6 decades to see a swimming fox with only his nose out of water. The Fall shuffle is well documented and was studied in depth by Mr Ron Andrews, Iowa’s former fur bearing animal biologist in his book The Red Fox in Iowa about 40 years ago. Next up, the rare “Outdoorsman” Boy Scout shoulder patch.
Iowa Dave
That guy in site 46 is very observant!
Old 10-03-2023, 02:27 AM   #191

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:

Very Interesting......... I built my last house, using Superior Walls as my walls. https://www.superiorwalls.com/superi...uperior-walls/ Custom precast cement walls trucked in, & set in place with a crane. 10' basement walls(build the box) & then 8' 1st floor cement walls & 10' garage walls. Paint & that the finished wall! Acts a lot like an adobe house.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 02:39 AM   #192

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Thanks to those who helped make this rally the easiest yet.

Dog Marshal Rita Smith

Fire Marshal Jim Lemens

Recycle Marshal Tom Haberski

Swap Marshal Leon Webster

Movie Marshal Tony Nowak

Swag Marshal Steve Marchfield

In addition Anita Marchfield, Eric Thompson and anyone I may have forgotten.

Special recognition to Dan and Martha, the Coffee Marshals and the winners of the Most Visited Campsite Award.

We had 41 units at the rally. I think there were some visitors for the day on Saturday that I missed. Cheryl and Kevin always sneak their family in, hoping we will not notice.

Thanks for coming and mark September 27-29 2024 for the next rally.

Yes, Thanks to all who made it work. And wondered about the Escape count! Got some ideas, etc.

I had my Brother in Prairie take me to Pike's Peak. It is ready, but I don't think it would hold us all? Gravel pads, not cement, Didn't see some place like the Stone Hut to meet at? No Movie........ I'd vote to stay at Thomson................
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 07:12 AM   #193

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
A picture is worth a thousand words

Chasing Trials
[QUOTE[
Very Interesting......... I built my last house, using Superior Walls as my walls. https://www.superiorwalls.com/superi...uperior-walls/ Custom precast cement walls trucked in, & set in place with a crane. 10' basement walls(build the box) & then 8' 1st floor cement walls & 10' garage walls. Paint & that the finished wall! Acts a lot like an adobe house.[/QUOTE]

Share a photo of your house with us.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 10:55 AM   #194

Yes, I'm excited about ICF! Like some of you have said, termite-resistant, rot-resistant, fire-resistant, wind resistant up to 250 mph. The special trusses are attached to tie-downs embedded in the concrete.

And the best part...it will be super energy efficient. That is, if I can find someone who will do all the calculations to make sure the HVAC is not over or undersized. I'll have radiant floor heating in the slab floor and that will provide probably most if not all of the heat I need. I'll use a mini-split system for AC and an ERV will control fresh air exchange and humidity. When the power goes out in an ICF house they say it takes days to notice a temperature change.

Leaving today with my trailer to stay there a couple of days for pour day tomorrow. Then again next week for the second pour for the gables. And will probably be camping there a lot in the next few weeks to make sure all the underslab plumbing goes well.
Old 10-03-2023, 12:27 PM   #195

Trailer: 2018 None
Quote:
Yes, I'm excited about ICF! Like some of you have said, termite-resistant, rot-resistant, fire-resistant, wind resistant up to 250 mph. The special trusses are attached to tie-downs embedded in the concrete.

And the best part...it will be super energy efficient. That is, if I can find someone who will do all the calculations to make sure the HVAC is not over or undersized. I'll have radiant floor heating in the slab floor and that will provide probably most if not all of the heat I need. I'll use a mini-split system for AC and an ERV will control fresh air exchange and humidity. When the power goes out in an ICF house they say it takes days to notice a temperature change.

Leaving today with my trailer to stay there a couple of days for pour day tomorrow. Then again next week for the second pour for the gables. And will probably be camping there a lot in the next few weeks to make sure all the underslab plumbing goes well.
My sister built an ICF home over 20 years ago. (8 inches of concrete and iron rod, 2 inches of insulation on each side) It has held up well. Very energy efficient. We jokingly call it the bunker. After siding on the outside and drywall in the inside the walls are really thick. I hope your ICF turns out to be a great project.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 12:35 PM   #196

Trailer: 2018 None
Quote:
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave, just wanted to say thanks for the great stories at the gathering. Sami and I hope to see you two on the RV trail someday. We will take your advice, put on our explorers hat, and always drive a little ways off the beaten path. You and your wife seem to have some great adventures. Thanks again. George and Sami Ames Iowa...
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 01:17 PM   #197

Road trips

If you go west and are almost across Nebraska at Kimball, you can drive a few miles west of Kimball and visit the Oliver Reservoir State Recreation area (on the old Lincoln Highway.) There are two parts to this area. One is wild and woolly and the other is a real campground with water and toilets but no electric. It is still free. I’ll stay there the next time I go that way as opposed to a commercial CG or the camps at lake Mcconaughy which are wildly overpriced especially for non residents. Just about every night after dinner we go for a little ride to explore possibilities for the next time we’re in the area and if we find ice cream, even better. That’s how we’ve done it for 53 years so it’s worked for us. We’ve contemplated a few days yet this fall at either Lacy Keosauqua or Shimek state forest. There’s a pork tenderloin at Misty’s in Keosauqua with my name on it. Stay in touch.

Below: Western Nebraska
Lincoln Highway and
Be Specific, Ship Union Pacific
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
01C5B356-DF52-408E-9D47-860A5B581376.jpg   1A13028A-BA54-4940-A620-939B1107AF61.jpg  
Old 10-03-2023, 01:46 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
My sister built an ICF home over 20 years ago. (8 inches of concrete and iron rod, 2 inches of insulation on each side) It has held up well. Very energy efficient. We jokingly call it the bunker. After siding on the outside and drywall in the inside the walls are really thick. I hope your ICF turns out to be a great project.
Thank you! I'm looking forward to my bunker, haha.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:23 PM   #199

Trailer: Escape 5.0
We were out in Colorado photographing rutting elk and golden aspens so I missed the ICF thread.
We built icf 14 years ago. Couldn’t be happier
I designed it and did much of the forming and pouring. Lots of work but we are happy with the results.
Super quiet and thermally efficient. If a tornado hits we may not have a roof but we will have walls. Lol
I have read that it’s a good idea to have termite dope injected around the foundation. They can travel up thru the outside styrofoam and get to the wood rafters. Probably not likely tho.
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:19 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWCIL View Post
We were out in Colorado photographing rutting elk and golden aspens so I missed the ICF thread.
We built icf 14 years ago. Couldn’t be happier
I designed it and did much of the forming and pouring. Lots of work but we are happy with the results.
Super quiet and thermally efficient. If a tornado hits we may not have a roof but we will have walls. Lol
I have read that it’s a good idea to have termite dope injected around the foundation. They can travel up thru the outside styrofoam and get to the wood rafters. Probably not likely tho.
Good to hear your experience and the others in this thread. I have heard that too about termites but my contractor is not convinced. I might have it treated around the foundation just in case since it's out in the country. And then again, there are plenty of woods for the termites so they may not cross the field just to get to my house!

The second concrete pour happened today for the gables. The first pour was three weeks ago. They drilled the well yesterday.

Here are a few photos. The wide angle phone camera makes the walls look warped but you couldn't ask for straighter, more level walls. They've done a wonderful job. One photo shows the tall garage doors for my trailer and truck; two other doors will be shorter. Right now I have to push the rear kayak rack all the way forward to fit in the garage. This will allow the kayak to stay on top as needed!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5032a.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	71336

Name:	IMG_5038.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	71331

Name:	IMG_5040.jpg