Cold Temperature Charging - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2021, 08:37 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Cold Temperature Charging

Like many persons across the continent we are experiencing very cold temperatures. My Escape is heading to warmer climates in a short time and I have a dilemma in preparing for departure. At issue is charging at cold temperatures.

We are consistently are having sub zero (F) temperatures, my unit is in a storage facility unheated. My AGM batteries were fully charged in the fall and everything has been shut off. I do not have a concern over the batteries freezing. The issue is charging them at low temperatures.

This is from the Canbat website: "AGM batteries have a certain charge temperature range. This means if the temperature falls outside of this range, you should not be charging AGM batteries. For all types of lead acid batteries, you should avoid charging if the temperature raises above 40 degrees Celsius or 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Cold weather also affects charging AGM batteries. You should avoid charging your batteries if the temperature falls below 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit."

The storage facility does not have power so it is necessary to tow for 30 minutes to get to my home and have an opportunity to run an electric heater and warm up the batteries prior to charging. My concern is that 30 minutes of towing. Since the alternator is charging the battery (albeit at a low rate), is that enough to damage the batteries. I would anticipate single digit temperatures (F) at the time with 10 nights of sub zero temps preceding.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
You have a dilema

I do not know the answer to your situation. Freezing (32F) does seem like a high cut-off, given AGM batteries are also also used everyday for starting vehicles.

What options do you have? Got a Mr. Buddy catalytic heater to warm the batteries up for a while before towing away? That could take some time. Can one disconnect the battery from the tow vehicle charging line? Next option is to just risk it.

I don't know what you can easily do.

Sometimes the manufacturers info relates to an optimum, perfect world scenario. But we don't live there.

Heading off to Florida?

bon voyage,
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 2012 E19
I don't have trouble charging in any temperature whatsoever. My VISA is always ready!
Old 02-06-2021, 10:27 AM   #4

Heat packs

Last, and least, is using a boat load of the air activated heat packs plastering your batteries for a temp boost. Those batteries are "cold soaked", a lot of mass, and it would take a lot of packs.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 2012 19
Is it possible to tow with the battery switch off? Does the emergency brake still work?
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Like many persons across the continent we are experiencing very cold temperatures. My Escape is heading to warmer climates in a short time and I have a dilemma in preparing for departure. At issue is charging at cold temperatures.

We are consistently are having sub zero (F) temperatures, my unit is in a storage facility unheated. My AGM batteries were fully charged in the fall and everything has been shut off. I do not have a concern over the batteries freezing. The issue is charging them at low temperatures.

This is from the Canbat website: "AGM batteries have a certain charge temperature range. This means if the temperature falls outside of this range, you should not be charging AGM batteries. For all types of lead acid batteries, you should avoid charging if the temperature raises above 40 degrees Celsius or 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Cold weather also affects charging AGM batteries. You should avoid charging your batteries if the temperature falls below 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit."

The storage facility does not have power so it is necessary to tow for 30 minutes to get to my home and have an opportunity to run an electric heater and warm up the batteries prior to charging. My concern is that 30 minutes of towing. Since the alternator is charging the battery (albeit at a low rate), is that enough to damage the batteries. I would anticipate single digit temperatures (F) at the time with 10 nights of sub zero temps preceding.
I double checked the manual for my LifeLine AGM batteries. It says nothing about not charging them below 32.

Temperature Range:
Storage: (when fully charged) -67° F (-55° C) to 122° F (50° C)
Operating:-40°F (-40° C) to 160°F (71°C)

Click image for larger version

Name:	lifeline agm temp.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	53709

From LifeLine's article: How To Care For Your AGM Battery This Winter

How to store your race car to prevent issues with the battery

There are two practices recommended to vehicle owners to ensure that their batteries work when winter is over. You can disconnect the battery cables, or you can leave it on a maintainer type charger. Leaving the battery on maintainer mode fights against current drains from the vehicle, which can damage your battery. The two practices maintain the battery’s charge.

edit: What brand AGM batteries do you have?
TTMartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #7

The message

"For all types of lead acid batteries, you should avoid charging if the temperature raises above 40 degrees Celsius or 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Cold weather also affects charging AGM batteries. You should avoid charging your batteries if the temperature falls below 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit."

This would mean my car battery, which sees these extremes.

"Should avoid", sure. Can avoid? Not often in my control.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Battery University
BU-410: Charging at High and Low Temperatures
Learn how to extend battery life by moderating ambient temperatures.

Battery type: Lead acid
Charge temperature: –20°C to 50°C (–4°F to 122°F)
Discharge temperature: –20°C to 50°C (–4°F to 122°F)
Charge advisory: Charge at 0.3C or less below freezing. Lower V-threshold by 3mV/°C when hot.

0.3C is referring to charge / discharge rate and not temperatures.
TTMartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
My concern is that 30 minutes of towing. Since the alternator is charging the battery (albeit at a low rate), is that enough to damage the batteries.
I wouldn’t be concerned based on the data presented here and my own experiences.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:59 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
The batteries are Crown. (BATT6CRV220 6 VOLT 220AH AGM BATTERY) In going through their technical information I found nothing about charge temperatures.

I did see reference that all AGM batteries share the same characteristics. In other words, if one brand has an upper limit on charging temperatures then all should have the limitation. It also appears that the result of exceeding the temperature limits is not catastrophic failure but rather shortened life span.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
as others have said I don't think it would be a issue. But if it concerns you why not just turn on the furnace and heat up the trailer. Its a 21' batteries are inside right? It does not say you cant discharge them in cold weather does it?

https://www.crownbattery.com/hubfs/D...-Batteries.pdf
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote