Why 12 volt Exterior Outlets? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2022, 11:43 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Other than to be able to charge devices outside, what other uses have you found for a 12 volt outlet on the exterior of your Escape?
I added one to run an air stone to keep bait alive for fishing and also a 12V transfer pump to fill the freshwater tank from containers.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post238674
Old 05-16-2022, 02:32 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Got my tele from these guys: they've got a ton of 12V goodies: https://www.roadtrucker.com/catalog/...-kitchen-1.htm
yeah,some cool stuff, but i don't see a DC icemaker.

tsok I'm setup to run our icemaker off the inverter Or just use ice cube trays in the DC freezer. heh.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:32 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreaming View Post
mostly used for friends who tent camp. In colder months, they've used it for a space heater in their tent and we often set up a little table outside, plug in an electric kettle and set up a table that has tea and coffee supplies.
With those loads you are probably referring to the 120V AC outlet! This thread was asking about the uses for a exterior 12V DC plug.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
oops, you're right. deleted my post. thanks!
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:57 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500, 2012 Escape 19
I don't have an external 12V outlet yet, but I do like to run a 12V cooler beside my trailer. I will be adding an outlet for this purpose to simplify things.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:20 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 21
I had a 12 vdc put on both sides to run an air compressor for filling tires.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #27

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I use a 12 volt water pump to move drinking water out of the jugs and into the trailer tank. Lifting 6 to 7 gallons by hand isn't in the cards for me anymore.

Same here, Alan! It's super handy and fast to be able to transfer water that way. We start with full fresh tank and several 6 gallon jugs in the back of the truck. When it's time to refill the fresh tank, I just pull the jugs to the back of the truck, plug the pump in and go jug to jug. It take maybe 10 minutes including set up. Gives us a solid 10-12 day range before we need to find water.
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:26 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semievolved View Post
Same here, Alan! It's super handy and fast to be able to transfer water that way. We start with full fresh tank and several 6 gallon jugs in the back of the truck. When it's time to refill the fresh tank, I just pull the jugs to the back of the truck, plug the pump in and go jug to jug. It take maybe 10 minutes including set up. Gives us a solid 10-12 day range before we need to find water.
There are quite a few US Forest Service campgrounds with spigots that are not intended to fill a trailer tank directly, but you can load up the jugs in the back of the pickup and drive them to the trailer. For me, the real problem is making room for the extra grey water. That becomes the real limit if I can't find a way to dispose of the grey. So, now I am wondering if there might be a way to use a transfer pump (not the drinking water one!) to pump from the grey tank to the black tank. I can adjust my camping style to keep from using the black tank, but doing without a hot shower after a hard day of fishing/hiking is difficult at best. (No, I don't have an outside shower, plus I share my campsites with 20,000 mosquitos.)
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:49 PM   #29

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Get a DC extension cord and run it out the door or window.
I have 12 volt outlets by each window. Definitely plan to purchase this for our air compressor. Would have come in handy for flat tires last season. Thanks

I currently have two side-by-side external 125v outlets, which are basically useless.

Based on past experience, I can see the value of a 12 volt external outlet for our air compressor. I can also imagine using it for a 12v water transfer pump to fill up our fresh water tank.

Using it to recharge mobile devices when sitting outside has limited appeal. A fan to chase away bugs … I’d want to see how well that works.

A 12 volt cooler outside the trailer for our wine & beer (and cheese)? Appealing, if we didn’t have to find storage space for the cooler.

Radio? We have a 12v auto stereo system with speakers by the curbside rear window.

Bottom line, I’d install the external 12 volt outlets instead of a 125v. But it isn’t something particularly high on my priority list. I did invest in installing 12 volt outlets throughout the trailer. I think the DC extension cord would allow us to use put air in our tires or fill the fresh water tank, should those situations arise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Got my tele from these guys: they've got a ton of 12V goodies: https://www.roadtrucker.com/catalog/...-kitchen-1.htm
Thanks, tractors1, for the link. The 12v microwave ovens are intriguing. Definitely worth further research.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:07 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
There are quite a few US Forest Service campgrounds with spigots that are not intended to fill a trailer tank directly, but you can load up the jugs in the back of the pickup and drive them to the trailer. For me, the real problem is making room for the extra grey water. That becomes the real limit if I can't find a way to dispose of the grey. So, now I am wondering if there might be a way to use a transfer pump (not the drinking water one!) to pump from the grey tank to the black tank. I can adjust my camping style to keep from using the black tank, but doing without a hot shower after a hard day of fishing/hiking is difficult at best. (No, I don't have an outside shower, plus I share my campsites with 20,000 mosquitos.)

We use collapsible tubs for dish wash and rinse water so we can control which tank that grey water goes in. Our first tub of both dish wash water and dish rinse water always goes in the toilet. Then by watching the grey tank level we can add more dish water to the brown tank as needed. This also helps the brown tank to be more liquid and smells better.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:13 AM   #31
Site Team

we've been using our napkins to clean our plates immediately after eating, so we need a minimal amount of spongy soap-water-and-rinse to sanitize.

oh boy, my favorite mobile RV guy is coming by next month to replace my water inlet fitings (the hose water fitting leaks badly), and add a outdoor hot+cold sprayer/shower, right next to the hot water heater. that is about a week after our next trip, oh well.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:33 AM   #32
Site Team

re: 12V DC outlet types.

there's no real standards here.

The Andersen Powerpole stuff is nice, the little ones handle up to 45 amps... but they aren't weatherproof unless you put them inside a weather box. Otherwise they are my favorite DC connectors, and they have larger ones for 100s of amps.

I just do not like SAE connectors. I don't even want to spell out the main reasons why now.

I thought I'd try a Marinco 2 pin 40A trawling motor plug as a boat guy I asked said they was water proof.... Mounted the outlet on a piece of marine white HDPE cut the size of the original battery vent cover, and mounted the Marinco socket in this. on the back side, it is 10 AWG 2 conductor marine wiring back to a 40A fuse from the main bus bar... on the outside, I have the Marinco trawler motor plug on a marine 10/2 pigtail 6 or 8 feet long that has a PP45 on the end. this can go into anything DC I own that has a PP,

hmmm I just realized I haven't thought out safely fusing it all....
if the outlet is fused for 45A, but I've got a device on a PP30 with a 14 gauge wire, that device really should have a 30A fuse near the PP30, as relying on the 40A main fuse is sketchy.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:36 AM   #33
Site Team

oh, and I'm not sure what 'waterproof' really means to these Marinco trolling motor connectors. they use nickel plated brass clamps to grab the wires, and they don't seem to be very sealed, unless they are unplugged and the cap is in, and you silicone greased the cap.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:13 AM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I plan on putting one inside the rear hatch
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:23 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
yeah,some cool stuff, but i don't see a DC icemaker.

tsok I'm setup to run our icemaker off the inverter Or just use ice cube trays in the DC freezer. heh.
https://headlessnomad.com/12v-ice-maker/
Old 05-20-2022, 12:57 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
ah, the concept must be more popular down under, several of those brands are Australian. I did find the SnoMaster for $500 at a USA distributor.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:46 PM   #37

Trailer: 1996 Frontier 5th (22')
Quote:
where did you find a 12V icemaker? I have a small 120V one thats nominally rated at 300 watts, actually draws 100W when its running the cooling cycle, but wouldn't work on a 400W or even a 600W inverter for some reason. works fine on my new 2000W inverter, but hasn't made a road trip with us yet (probably will memorial day weekend for the Strawberry Music Festival). Why? Because why not? Been going to this festival for 35+ years now, and have gotten very tired of having to haul 2-3 bags of ice a day to a chest. trailer fridge takes care of food, but ice for water, cocktails is nice.
If you ever get up Montana way in July - check out the RedAntsPants music festival. It's usually pretty hot - but they deliver ice right to your trailer on golf carts! Great music and backdrop with tons of camping space (it's held on a Cow Pature!).

Side Note - Strawberry Music Festival. If you haven't heard of Allison Russell check her out (prior band project with her husband was/is called Birds of Chicago). Steve Poltz is a hilarious hoot. Have seen a couple of the others also (very good). Sierra Hull is very talented - want to see her live sometime. Looks like an excellent lineup!
darrentoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:05 PM   #38

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I use my 12V exterior outlet for a compressor as others have mentioned. Made sure my compressor had a long enough power cord to reach both sides of the trailer so no need for 2 outlets. Handy for blowing up beach toys etc as well.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:18 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrentoma View Post
Side Note - Strawberry Music Festival. If you haven't heard of Allison Russell check her out (prior band project with her husband was/is called Birds of Chicago). Steve Poltz is a hilarious hoot. Have seen a couple of the others also (very good). Sierra Hull is very talented - want to see her live sometime. Looks like an excellent lineup!
FIRST time I saw Allison Russell was at Strawberry when she and Trish (can't remember last name, was from the Be Good Tanyas) were Po' Girl, on their first US tour (they were based in Canada). Saw Po' Girl at least 3-4 times over the next several years, one Strawberry, JT's band was also playing the main stage, and they got married later that year, along with forming Birds of Chicago. I love Allison's new solo album too. Have you heard Our Native Daughters, which is Rhiannon Giddens with Allison, Leyla McCalla and others, their album is awesome.

So much good music. Seen Sarah Jarosz, DakhaBrakha, Rosanne Cash, Punch Brothers, Bela Fleck, John Hiatt with Jerry Douglas in the past few months to make up for covid.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:48 PM   #40

Trailer: 1996 Frontier 5th (22')
Quote:
FIRST time I saw Allison Russell was at Strawberry when she and Trish (can't remember last name, was from the Be Good Tanyas) were Po' Girl, on their first US tour (they were based in Canada). Saw Po' Girl at least 3-4 times over the next several years, one Strawberry, JT's band was also playing the main stage, and they got married later that year, along with forming Birds of Chicago. I love Allison's new solo album too. Have you heard Our Native Daughters, which is Rhiannon Giddens with Allison, Leyla McCalla and others, their album is awesome.

So much good music. Seen Sarah Jarosz, DakhaBrakha, Rosanne Cash, Punch Brothers, Bela Fleck, John Hiatt with Jerry Douglas in the past few months to make up for covid.
That would be Trish Klein I believe. We had that new Allison Russell solo Album on repeat here too when it came out. Those are some excellent musicians you have treated yourself to lately. I am glad to hear DakhaBrakha is still able to tour - with all the devastation in their homeland, their musical performance has to be as emotional as ever.
darrentoma is offline   Reply With Quote