Need assistance delivery 21C CO - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2022, 08:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
My next trailer will have a Propride hitch. Expensive , but probably the best sway control along with the Hensley.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
My next trailer will have a Propride hitch. Expensive , but probably the best sway control along with the Hensley.
Whaddya going to tow that Bigfoot with?
Old 01-05-2022, 08:54 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
An F150 this year and an upgrade in 2023
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:17 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Evidently the Tacoma has a bit of a soft rear end. Also, 19 Escapes are the most sway prone due to it being the most tongue light of any model. 10K bars are too stiff and you should have 600# bars.
I suspect that you would need to have a very poorly loaded 19' in order for sway to become an issue. In the 9 years that we have owned our 19', I have not experienced any towing behavior that I could classify as sway.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:16 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It seems those trucks with the softest car like ride do so with a penalty. Coil springs in the rear, like on my Ram allow a car like feeling but will sag unload load. I installed air bags inside the springs, low psi in the bags while towing and this seems to help a lot.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:20 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
This is the Pro Series that ETI sold me.

So you can change the arms? But, the whole thing I have is a beast. The whole "center" area is a huge chunk of steel. Some of the lower rating looks a little lighter built. Sounds like more of a hassle, than just getting a whole new lighter built one. This is what I have. I took it off the TT & put it on a 8' X 20' cargo trailer to go pick my tractor & the last of my stuff from my house I sold in NY. Then took it off when I sold it. I don't see anyone's photos showing an sway control? Do people still use them? Looks like it can only be used with a WDH with a hole for it's small ball.
Attached Thumbnails
Hitch.jpg   Hitch1.jpg  
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:33 AM   #27

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Trials View Post
I don't see anyone's photos showing an sway control? Do people still use them? Looks like it can only be used with a WDH with a hole for it's small ball.
Some like the Equal-i-zer we use have integrated sway control with friction points. After seeing your pictures I agree that you are probably better off just getting a new setup that is the proper selection for your trailer. There are many out there but I went with this due to the reputation and it had the most flexibility where I could mount the frame brackets which I needed because I had little space between my propane tray and a custom mount for mini-split condenser.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...EQ37061ET.html
Attached Thumbnails
Equal-i-zer WDH.jpg  
Old 01-06-2022, 09:37 AM   #28

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I suspect that you would need to have a very poorly loaded 19' in order for sway to become an issue. In the 9 years that we have owned our 19', I have not experienced any towing behavior that I could classify as sway.
My 19' has the Li batteries relocated to the dinette, and a pretty full front storage box. Loaded up, my tongue is 525 lbs with the water tank empty and 495 lbs with it full.

I have not installed my 62 lb AC unit on the roof yet though.

I tow with a Hensley cub because I already had one and I like how it tows, how it hooks up, and how it makes liftgate/tongue jack interference a non-issue.

But anyway, my E-19 has plenty of tongue weight relative to total weight.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post

I have had only twice had problems with no WDH. One was bring a SQ front Aluminum horse trailer up from FL with only 2 mini horses for someone, for some gas money help. Rocking back & forth trying to get a corner to break the wind. I had to pull in a grain store, built a "stall" up front for them & bought 500 lbs of grain(something heavy I could use), all up front to weight the tongue. Helped. Sold that trailer, & bought a V nose fronted one. The other was towing my Tacoma on a U-haul car hauler with F250. I had put a bunch of my daylilies(& dirt) in the Toy's bed. Had to stop & buy plastic bags & fill in the front seat area.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Evidently the Tacoma has a bit of a soft rear end. Also, 19 Escapes are the most sway prone due to it being the most tongue light of any model. 10K bars are too stiff and you should have 600# bars.

I heard that too, so have a extra set of leaf springs on beater Tacoma. Hauling a lot of rocks! Haven't put any on Prerunner yet.

An F250 doesn't ride well, until you load it down!
Old 01-06-2022, 12:17 PM   #31

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Some like the Equal-i-zer we use have integrated sway control with friction points. After seeing your pictures I agree that you are probably better off just getting a new setup that is the proper selection for your trailer. There are many out there but I went with this due to the reputation and it had the most flexibility where I could mount the frame brackets which I needed because I had little space between my propane tray and a custom mount for mini-split condenser.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...EQ37061ET.html
Rubicon, do you cover that condenser during travel? Just wondering about stones hitting it. I like the mini-split concept very well since a roof mount A/C is usually too noisy for my taste.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:16 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Rubicon, do you cover that condenser during travel? Just wondering about stones hitting it. I like the mini-split concept very well since a roof mount A/C is usually too noisy for my taste.
Mike: Yes, we typically cover it with a modified 30# propane tank cover even though it is also protected by the propane tanks in front of it. Jake (viator36) who I did a mini-split for on his 21 also made us a custom white vinyl cover that looks nicer similar to the one that he made for his in the picture.

The mini-split is incredibly quiet and has many other benefits as well. No regrets.
Attached Thumbnails
condenser cover.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2022, 04:01 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the 4runners have coil springs, the tacomas are still leaf spring and 'live axle' or whatever you like to call it.

re: soft Tacoma springs, firestone riderite airbags! 5psi around town, rides like it did stock. 30-40 PSI with max load in back/on hitch, and it rides great. can pump them up with a bicycle floor pump, or a tire inflator. careful using a compressor, there's not a lot of volume and they fill fast.

Also upgrading the shocks helps, I put the beefier bilsteins on mine, but have since discovered the joys of Rancho 9000XL shocks on my big truck, and would look to see if those are available for a Tacoma. adjustable damping in 9 clicks, where 1 is really soft, and 9 is really firm, my F250 is happy around 7 in back when heavily loaded and its OK at 7 empty so I don't bother to turn them down since I hardly ever drive that truck empty.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:32 PM   #34

Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
Thank you everyone !!

I know I will learn once I get some practice with this system.. This has been a life long dream. I know not everyone uses a wdh and I may not "need" it but I feel safer. My husband was a truck driver and I try to think, what choice would Leo make when deciding on how safe to make towing etc etc..
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:27 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If an elk leaps out from the ditch into your path, you'll appreciate the WDH. If that never happens, you won't.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:36 AM   #36

Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If an elk leaps out from the ditch into your path, you'll appreciate the WDH. If that never happens, you won't.
Thanks! I will use the WDH .. like I said, my husband was a truck driver. He ran into so many situations over the years, it taught me to be better safe than sorry.
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote