Brought Home our 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Parker, Colorado
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 87
Brought Home our 19

We finally were able to get to BC and pick up our trailer. Pretty eventful start leaving home as we had to out run a major snow storm in Colorado, and Tammy held an orientation slot for the morning after our original, in case we were delayed. Didn't need it but it was nice to have in our hip pocket.

This is our first camping trailer ever. The orientation was a lot to take in but we had done our homework before arriving so it was familiar. ETI had missed one of our captain's lights in the bed area but they were able to install it along with our Sequoia table mounts. We really like the low-profile plates for the table posts but after we got home, we discovered that they had punched through the bottom of the trailer with all of the screws.

Had to pick up storage item at Bromley's IGA so we bought a few meals worth of groceries there and headed for Rasar State Park in Concrete. We spent two nights there and really liked it. Nestled in a forest with trails down to the Skagit River it was a great place to have a relaxing move-in and figure out our trailer. Would recommend this as a first stop, it's only about 1:20 from Sumas and there's a brewery just outside the park.

After that we went on to Boardman Marina campground on the Columbia and had a river-front slot that was outstanding. Then on to Bend, OR to visit a friend and explore the town for two nights staying at the Crown Villa RV Resort. It's not really a campground, but it's a nice luxury stay.

I had planned our next stop for two nights at Three Island Crossing State Park in Glenns Ferry, ID. What a nice campground, just a great, quiet place to relax in the trees and view the Snake River. Total bliss.....takes a face-plant into reality. We woke up our first morning and realized that weather was moving in and would shut down Rawlins, Laramie Cheyenne and all of the passes in Colorado (home is the Denver area). So we packed-up and hauled trailer east-bound....

Eleven hours later we finally make the Laramie KOA, a freeway campground but it worked. Two things to note. First, we are new to this trailer camping stuff and are very happy with how quick and easy the 19 is to set-up for the night or break-down in the morning. Second, it tows very well. I'm driving a Honda Ridgeline and maintained 65-70 the whole way, regardless of wind and/or hills (mileage for whole trip with trailer was about 12 mpg). We did not have a WDH or sway control and it towed like a dream.

Woke up in Laramie with 4-5" of wet snow and I80 is closed to Cheyenne. We look on-line and see that 287 is still open to Ft Collins so we decide to go for it and we'll turn around if need be or do the Thelma and Louise thing if that strikes our fancy. When my wife told the KOA staff our plans for 287 they said they don't drive 287 in the winter and if we needed we could come back....Thelma and Louise it is.

Other than some rutted slush, the drive wasn't that bad and the trailer handled it very well. In Fort collins we still weren't ready to go home (still had planned for one more night). So we went up to Carter Lake west of Berthoud and found a great spot over-looking the marina and lake.

Finally home the next day and I think the dog was happy to see his cat and the horses. Enjoyed the whole trip, other than the mad dash through Wyoming. Easily could have stayed out another two weeks if work allowed it.

Love the trailer.
__________________

Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,142
Congrats on the new 19er! Great trip report.
My rental property in CO is right around the corner from you....
__________________

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Marry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ponoka, Alberta
Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Posts: 1,337
Wow! Quite the trip! Wishing you many more happy trails! Enjoy!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:55 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Mary F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Travis County, Texas
Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Posts: 618
Sounds great! We also spent a night at the Crown in Bend, when on our way home from Chilliwack (and Oregon) last October. I'm glad your trip went well and that you're loving your new trailer.
__________________
Mary F Onward, through the fog!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:09 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 5,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
We finally were able to get to BC and pick up our trailer. Pretty eventful start leaving home as we had to out run a major snow storm in Colorado, and Tammy held an orientation slot for the morning after our original, in case we were delayed. Didn't need it but it was nice to have in our hip pocket.

This is our first camping trailer ever. The orientation was a lot to take in but we had done our homework before arriving so it was familiar. ETI had missed one of our captain's lights in the bed area but they were able to install it along with our Sequoia table mounts. We really like the low-profile plates for the table posts but after we got home, we discovered that they had punched through the bottom of the trailer with all of the screws.

Had to pick up storage item at Bromley's IGA so we bought a few meals worth of groceries there and headed for Rasar State Park in Concrete. We spent two nights there and really liked it. Nestled in a forest with trails down to the Skagit River it was a great place to have a relaxing move-in and figure out our trailer. Would recommend this as a first stop, it's only about 1:20 from Sumas and there's a brewery just outside the park.

After that we went on to Boardman Marina campground on the Columbia and had a river-front slot that was outstanding. Then on to Bend, OR to visit a friend and explore the town for two nights staying at the Crown Villa RV Resort. It's not really a campground, but it's a nice luxury stay.

I had planned our next stop for two nights at Three Island Crossing State Park in Glenns Ferry, ID. What a nice campground, just a great, quiet place to relax in the trees and view the Snake River. Total bliss.....takes a face-plant into reality. We woke up our first morning and realized that weather was moving in and would shut down Rawlins, Laramie Cheyenne and all of the passes in Colorado (home is the Denver area). So we packed-up and hauled trailer east-bound....

Eleven hours later we finally make the Laramie KOA, a freeway campground but it worked. Two things to note. First, we are new to this trailer camping stuff and are very happy with how quick and easy the 19 is to set-up for the night or break-down in the morning. Second, it tows very well. I'm driving a Honda Ridgeline and maintained 65-70 the whole way, regardless of wind and/or hills (mileage for whole trip with trailer was about 12 mpg). We did not have a WDH or sway control and it towed like a dream.

Woke up in Laramie with 4-5" of wet snow and I80 is closed to Cheyenne. We look on-line and see that 287 is still open to Ft Collins so we decide to go for it and we'll turn around if need be or do the Thelma and Louise thing if that strikes our fancy. When my wife told the KOA staff our plans for 287 they said they don't drive 287 in the winter and if we needed we could come back....Thelma and Louise it is.

Other than some rutted slush, the drive wasn't that bad and the trailer handled it very well. In Fort collins we still weren't ready to go home (still had planned for one more night). So we went up to Carter Lake west of Berthoud and found a great spot over-looking the marina and lake.

Finally home the next day and I think the dog was happy to see his cat and the horses. Enjoyed the whole trip, other than the mad dash through Wyoming. Easily could have stayed out another two weeks if work allowed it.

Love the trailer.
Hi: Mesa... Sure hope ETI missed any under slung supply/waste tanks with the table support screws. Sounds like you stick handled your way through the weather changes and even with a push through the weather fronts had a nice "Bring her home trip".
At the moment we are glad we have our 5.0TA out beside the garage as we will start to live in it while our old kitchen is ripped out to accept new cabinets, counters, dishwasher, OTR Microwave, new window and also new 100 Amp whole house breaker panel.
I could have had a really nicely equipped 2016 tug of my choice for what a kitchen cost!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'10 Frontier CC. S.E. 4X4 Lng. Bed V6 '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas Ont.( Not the Virgin Islands)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Parker, Colorado
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
At the moment we are glad we have our 5.0TA out beside the garage as we will start to live in it while our old kitchen is ripped out to accept new cabinets, counters, dishwasher, OTR Microwave, new window and also new 100 Amp whole house breaker panel.
I could have had a really nicely equipped 2016 tug of my choice for what a kitchen cost!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
We met another couple at Carter Lake in a 35' (?) doing the same thing while there house had some work done. Great idea and something I hadn't thought of.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
... Sure hope ETI missed any under slung supply/waste tanks with the table support screws.
This is an Escape 19'. Unless it has the rare reversed floorplan (which wasn't mentioned) the only dinette is in the front, and there are no tanks up there.

A recent round of this discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I did measure before I installed nut serts to hold my custom pedestal. I believe it's 5/8" plywood plus the f.g. On the 19 at least, no worries about drilling through that area, there's nothing at all to hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In the standard 19' layout, the dinette is in the front. As Ron said, there's nothing there to hit, and I think that's true of the middle of this front area in any model other than the 5.0/5.0TA. All underfloor tanks are further back.

In all other models, there is a rear dinette; in the 17' at least, the freshwater tank is under it, up against the floor.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Parker, Colorado
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 87
Yeah, nothing was hit since nothing is under the dining table. Spoke to Reace about it and he said they normally seal these holes with Sikaflex but since it was an install at the orientation they missed it. He doesn't seem to think it's a warranty issue so I'm on my own to buy the repair. Word to the wise, if you're having anything installed either ahead of time or during the orientation, make sure any new holes are properly sealed, wish I knew.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Trailer: 2014 19'
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This is an Escape 19'. Unless it has the rare reversed floorplan (which wasn't mentioned) the only dinette is in the front, and there are no tanks up there.
Nothing there to hit. On our 2014 19' it looks like they used a grinder to shorten the screws but they still punched/pushed holes through the fiberglass. Then they put a little caulk on the spots.
__________________

Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.