Cold weather camping - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Don't know of any that differentiate between open in summer vs winter, but you could try this one: RV Dump Stations or this one: http://www.sanidumps.com/maps/help.php or even this one: http://www.rvdumps.com/

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #52

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We are picking up our 21 in mid November and I asked to have it winterized when we pick it up. hopefully can avoid using any of the plumbing on the way home but we will bring some antifreeze with us just in case. I like Jims system of flushing with antifreeze if needed and not using the fresh water part of the system at all. I suspect if there was a strong mixture of antifreeze in the waste tanks at moderate temps nothing should freeze.

dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Anyone know of an online source enabling us to locate dump stations open in the winter?
Allstays lists dump stations (along with low overpasses, some truck stops, and a bunch of other things). But I don't think it has open dates. On the other hand, I found a dump station at a Holiday gas station on the north side of town, and they were open for dumping when there was several inches of snow on the ground. If the path to the dump is clear, would there be any reason to close it?
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #54

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Download Sanidumps.com app from iTunes. ( Free )
It lists dumps near your phone, or you can search. Gives you the address and details such as how to approach the dump.
According to the app, the only free site near you is Pete's RV Center in Southington, CT.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Don't know of any that differentiate between open in summer vs winter, but you could try this one: RV Dump Stations or this one: Sanidumps: Regional RV Dump Station Map or even this one: RV Dump Stations | Locate RV Dump Stations in America
Thanks for the suggestions. RV dumps defalts to sanidumps. The third one has limited data. I will use sanidumps unless I can find another site that allows me to search on months of operation.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #56

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
... I found a dump station at a Holiday gas station on the north side of town, and they were open for dumping when there was several inches of snow on the ground. If the path to the dump is clear, would there be any reason to close it?
Yes - in freezing temperatures it is difficult to maintain a supply of water for users to flush their hoses, or for staff to flush the dump area... and any flushing of the area around the dump port would potentially make a skating rink.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
This post suggest concern using the fridge below 20F as the refrigerant becomes viscous and clogs up the compressor.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Winter RV camping

Thoughts?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
They refer to using a gas refer and partially blocking the outside air intake. I use mine on 120v and do not block the outside. Dometic does make a cold air kit which blocks the lower vent with a cover on the outside but does not sell it in the US?
Old 02-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
So picking the trailer up in a few days, and going camping all week at FUP campgrounds.

Long range forecast for Hope BC has steadily gotten colder (overnight -7C/20F? with days heating up to 13C/50F expected) since I started planning this. The place I am booked into has closed their bathrooms for the season.

OK to use all tanks? Put a good shot of anti freeze down gray/black to coat the valves before first use? No foam underneath, but extra insulation and electric space heater.

edit: Doug seems ok with this range. Whew.:
Cold Weather Mods?
Old 02-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #60
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
You may have some issues with your fresh tank at 20 degrees, keeping the trailer at 60 degrees or warmer at all times may help keep the fresh water from freezing, the grey and black should be fine. Perhaps keep the trailer winterized and use antifreeze in the toilet and bottled water for consumption. If you do use the water heater leave it on to prevent freezing.Good luck