Security - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2022, 10:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Security

Hi. Just wondering what, if anything, you are using for security. Not to prevent the whole trailer from being stolen, but prevent break-ins or vandalism. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 E19
Just two things: 1,100' driveway and CCTV
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 11:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Hi. Just wondering what, if anything, you are using for security. Not to prevent the whole trailer from being stolen, but prevent break-ins or vandalism. Thanks.
We use the locks supplied with the trailer and close windows. If any thief really wants to get into your trailer, he can. We just hope it doesn't happen and has not so far in our 15 years of trailer camping.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 11:27 AM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Not much you can do to prevent break-ins or vandalism.

About the only thing you can do is try to prevent opportunity theft.

I realize anything left outside is fair game, so we put away anything that someone would want in either our 5.0 or our truck when we leave the camper. Our electric bikes travel with us. Terry's folding Tern ebike sits behind the drivers seat, and my e-trike sits in the back bed underneath a tonneau cover.

If they can quickly see what you have they'll steal it. In over 40 years with a tonneau cover I've never, and none of my friends have ever, had something stolen that was hidden with a tonneau cover. However, I have a number of friends over the years had their toppers, with easy to see through glass windows, broken into.

In January 2019, we were in Death Valley NP, that has well over 150 sites. A site not far from us had their portable solar panel stolen. On one side was a site where the campers never left the site that day and never saw the panel taken.

I also don't worry about my spare tire or LP tanks being stolen, unless at a dispersed site. If it happens it happens.

When we're not camping our 5.0 sits at a seasonal commerical campsite .8 mile from our condo. Each year it seems someone has something stolen, with post mounted electrical montoring systems being the #1 item and 30 or 50 amp cords being #2. Two summers ago someone had their EMS stolen despite being cable locked.

The nice thing about the Andersen 5th wheel hitch is that thieves don't travel with multiple hitches in their trucks, so just drive on to find another victim.

It would also take a crowbar about one second to open our locked 5.0 door.

Good luck,

Perry
Old 11-05-2022, 11:47 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought that locks kept honest people, honest....
Old 11-05-2022, 12:15 PM   #6
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
You can change the lock to the access panel and remove the finger-catch used to lift it. You can also change the knob on the other side of the panel out for a lock as well (you can order each one keyed the same). This makes it a bit harder to get into your trailer via the access panel.

We also use a Ft. Knox lock on the trailer tongue with their recommended puck lock. We were going to get the Proven Industries lock, but I saw the "lockpickinglawyer" on YouTube drill through their lock in about 30 sec., and the Ft. Knox, while not as elegant looking, should hold up longer than 30 sec.

For your propane tanks, you can drill a hole through the big wing nut and through the bracket, then get a long-neck lock. if someone is walking around with bolt cutters, it won't help much, but if someone is just walking around looking for an easy propane grab, this will make them go elsewhere.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 01:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
If it feels sketchy, relocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Not much you can do to prevent break-ins or vandalism. About the only thing you can do is try to prevent opportunity theft.
We mitigate the risk by selecting locations were we feel personally secure and comfortable.

To reduce impulse or opportunity theft, we put chairs, tables, etc. away and lock the door when we are not there. We use a Torklift Fortress propane tank lock. We changed the trailer’s door lock to RVLock v4, and we changed exterior access door locks to a tubular cam lock.

We use Waggle as the geofence GPS tracker when away from the trailer. It also provides interior temperature.

If you have a permanently installed cellular MODEM, StarLink, etc. you have lots of alarm and camera options.

In 20 years of RV trailering, we have not had a problem. If it happens, we have good insurance.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
We mitigate the risk by selecting locations were we feel personally secure and comfortable.

To reduce impulse or opportunity theft, we put chairs, tables, etc. away and lock the door when we are not there. We use a Torklift Fortress propane tank lock. We changed the trailer’s door lock to RVLock v4, and we changed exterior access door locks to a tubular cam lock.
We boondock quite often, so make it much easier to have items stolen, but we have chosen not to stay at BLM's where it looks iffy.

We also have the RVLock and have changed our access door locks to the tubular cam locks. It certainly helps.

However, at our seasonal camp sites when something is stolen it's only been one easily stolen item, so probably opportunity theft.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-05-2022, 02:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
People who are willing to steal from you are NOT concerned about what kind of damage they do. It takes a mere moment to crowbar a door open, no one is going to mess around fiddling with your door lock. They want in... and out.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 02:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
The nice thing about the Andersen 5th wheel hitch is that thieves don't travel with multiple hitches in their trucks, so just drive on to find another victim.
No but they do carry tools, two wrenches and they could have that Anderson adaptor off of your trailer in a few minutes. Or a grinder and punch since they wouldn't be worried about ruining it.

I would not consider the Anderson hitch any kind of serious theft deterrent.

If you have an Anderson I would recommend getting a fort knox lock.

If you have a standard fifth wheel hitch I would go with a commercial trucking fifth wheel lock.
DanandDaphne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 21
Mmmmm 3 pipe rails gates, barn door motion detector alarm in barn. hope that’s enough
Old 11-05-2022, 05:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
No but they do carry tools, two wrenches and they could have that Anderson adaptor off of your trailer in a few minutes. Or a grinder and punch since they wouldn't be worried about ruining it.

I would not consider the Anderson hitch any kind of serious theft deterrent.

If you have an Anderson I would recommend getting a fort knox lock.

If you have a standard fifth wheel hitch I would go with a commercial trucking fifth wheel lock.
Nothing is perfect, not even a Fort Knox Lock, but why would they go through those motions when other 5th wheels are much easier to steal. Besides, I doubt they know a standard hitch is above the Andersen, so my opinion is the Andersen is a serious deterrent. YMMV, so I’m not worried.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-05-2022, 09:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Deterrent

A single thickness of black bedsheet over the hitch. Under that a 330 conibear beaver trap hooked up to the trailer. The perpetrator regardless of how many legs he has, will be right there in the morning. Your quote “ I was having trouble with coons trying to get in my trailer”
Only about $20 and you’re good to go.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-06-2022, 07:33 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
A single thickness of black bedsheet over the hitch. Under that a 330 conibear beaver trap hooked up to the trailer. The perpetrator regardless of how many legs he has, will be right there in the morning. Your quote “ I was having trouble with coons trying to get in my trailer”
Iowa Dave
This is good advice. The stains never came out of the white sheet.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:40 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Iowa Dave
Until you come out one groggy morning to hitch up, whip off the blanket, and. . .bang!
Old 11-06-2022, 11:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Every little bit helps…keep them wondering.
Attached Thumbnails
63872257-171A-4C0F-9B02-726BA2646A71.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #17

Please post where you found those neat "warning labels"...
Old 11-06-2022, 02:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I know how you like to shop on Amazon, so here is one made in America. Not exactly the same but tells the same story. This was found on Amazon.ca.
Attached Thumbnails
89A419CB-D9C7-4443-A2A5-EAED49A58BDF.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:24 PM   #19

Here is Amazon, USA. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MIYNEWES&psc=1
Old 11-06-2022, 04:37 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always thought that locks kept honest people, honest....
It’s a good saying, but it may not apply anymore with the increase of thieving. Same thing happened the last time gas was up and the economy went nuts. Now with so many idiots feeling the need to get high, here we go.

Here in this area when you see a Kia driving wild it’s especially dangerous, avoid them.
They are stealing them not so much for the car, it’s the crime they end up using it for that’s really bad.

I had to cut a lock off a old utility trailer I have a few weeks ago. There’s a circle of people who have access to it and things never seem to go back in place, like keys.
My battery powered angle grinder cut thru it in under 10 seconds. I can’t imagine any type lock it couldn’t slice right up.

Most thieves who’ve a mind to steal any type of trailer are well aware of a grinders capabilities and how to use one.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote