Traveling with a dog - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Traveling with a dog

Hi,
My wife decided she really wants a dog. She has decided on a welsh corgi. Any tips on traveling with a dog? Do you recommend a shipping kennel to keep the dog in while you are away from the trailer? Iím a cat person and our cat just passed away. My wife is really set on a welsh corgi. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It shouldn't be a problem. For us it isn't, we taken dogs all over the world with us, planes, trains, buses, boats and of course, thousands of miles with the trailer.

Dogs are happy when they're with their humans. As long as the dog has a modicum of training having him along on your travels will add enjoyment and they're also a great ice breaker.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Hi,
My wife decided she really wants a dog. She has decided on a welsh corgi. Any tips on traveling with a dog?

Yup. Don't.
Our beagle Charly went to the vet for the last time several years ago. Now, instead of sitting in the car with the dog, I get to go tour the pioneer museum. We get to eat at a decent restaurant instead of going to the drive thru. We can do anything we want without worrying about the dog.
We thought she just slept when we left her in the trailer. Close neighbour at a campground informed us that she cried the entire time we were away. I'm sure she heard the car leave, because she was quiet until then.
And, we can use the vet bills we used to pay to go camping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charly fire 1.jpg (248.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg charly fishing.jpg (144.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Charly.jpg (188.1 KB, 37 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Please view this thread and then let me know what you wish to know,,,,,The end of an era.....
Old 08-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I've always traveled with my many dogs, the last two in three different trailers and never a problem when we left them in there for a few hours, but of course it depends upon the dog. They usually will sleep. Always keep water for them. Always fuss over them when you return. My opinion is if the dog is insecure, very young, unhappy or has not learned to trust his masters, when left alone it will bark it's bleepin' head off. (Example ONE: my neighbor across the street.)

Of course, Mark Twain when asked why he liked cats so much said, "...they don't bark."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Josiebed1.jpg (125.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
Gbaglo, To each his own and while there is some truth to what you say, I wouldn’t think of camping without a Boykin Spaniel running along side of me.
RicVic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #7

If your wife is familiar with separation anxiety, controlling barking, leash and crate training, doesn't mind giving up going somewhere because of the time away from the dog would be too long, etc., a dog would make sense. Far too many people get dogs, travel with them and lock them up for hours alone (I have seen the chewed and soiled RVs they traded in) while sightseeing. As the owner of 2 larger senior dogs and traveling with both dogs and cats of various types since the early 1980s, one has to be able to put the dogs needs" before their wants or they should pass on getting one in my informed opinion. Far too many dogs get dumped when the reality of the responsibility and limitations come into play.

Camping public campgrounds with dogs is nice, but RV parks, not so much.
Brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Camping public campgrounds with dogs is nice, but RV parks, not so much.
We found that KOA with dog parks are very helpful, nice for our dogs.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #9

Trailer: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Hi,
My wife decided she really wants a dog. She has decided on a welsh corgi. Any tips on traveling with a dog? Do you recommend a shipping kennel to keep the dog in while you are away from the trailer? Iím a cat person and our cat just passed away. My wife is really set on a welsh corgi. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
One of the many reasons for us to purchase an Escape is so that we can take our two dogs with us and NOT leave them at a boarding kennel.

We car camped from Vegas to Canada, spent one night in a hotel there, one in Everett WA, and then car camped all the way back. 20 hours each way. The dogs were nervous when we left the house and glad when we got home, but they became real campers somewhere along the way. No doubt in my mind they will be happy to join us again, and we were happy to have them with us as well.
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
I have had Welsh corgis since I got my first trailer. First Pembrokes, now Cardigans.

I've had a few that needed to be in a crate (kennel) while in the trailer alone or they'd get into things. Jack (Pem) could get onto the counter or into the fridge in the Escape. Mostly they are fine, though. Just depends on your dog.

Train your pup not to bark when left alone (that is, do not return and console it if it is barking!) A barking dog left in a trailer is a big problem and a no no at campsites. Corgis, like most herding dogs, default by nature to barking. Taking your dog out for a nice hike or a game of ball before leaving it will help.

Corgis shed so keep yours groomed (combed to remove loose hair, there isn't much other grooming besides nails required) to minimize hair in the trailer.

Corgis are very popular so expect lots of attention. We've at times had problems with other people's kids refusing to leave us alone even at our own campsite. I'm always nice to kids when out and about but sometimes have asked them not to interrupt us at our site- they can come see the dogs when we are out. (This more true at some kid-friendly campgrounds than others.)

Corgis like water in general but aren't great swimmers so have a PFD if you will be near water. Ruffwear are good ones for corgis, usually the Small or the Medium size.

I use Xpens to contain the corgis at the campsite. My current pair do not jump on the pen walls so we do fine with 24" pens and 3-4 can circle our Escape 15 and let them have the run of the area. Jack (of the fridge and counter escapades above) could escape from any pen and would if I left him.

The corgis like to have the space under the bed to sleep (or sleep with you.)

If you want another cat, get a kitten when you get the puppy or a little sooner. Corgis that do not grow up with cats will likely be cat chasers. Corgis that do grow up with them are often fast friends with cats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cardis at Grayland.jpg (348.7 KB, 33 views)

Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote