Bambi's mom cracked our egg! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2021, 09:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Bambi's mom cracked our egg!

Friday evening heading east on Hwy 12 just west of Morton, WA, a nice plump doe ran out and hit our 21NE right on the passenger side front corner, effing up the awning leg and cracking the sidewall and along the joining seam, both top & bottom.

Can anybody recommend a good fiberglass repair outfit in the I-5 corridor between Eugene, OR and Bellingham, WA? Does anybody have advice on making these repairs?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0365.jpg   DSCN0373.jpg   DSCN0366.jpg   DSCN0372.jpg  
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:12 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow, sorry for your troubles, first time I'm aware of deer and Escape incident.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Check with a boat repair shop, they can handle fiberglass repair.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Sorry to hear! A boat repair yard is you best bet. Here's one in Portland you might try.
https://www.schoonercreek.com/boat-repair
Good luck!
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wow, sorry for your troubles, first time I'm aware of deer and Escape incident.
My buddy had one crash into the driver side mirror and door while climbing the hill out of Osoyoos toward Keremeos. Keep an eye out if there ever is another rally.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Passed up hitting a pair of fawns last Saturday night about sundown plus 15 minutes when they came up out of the ditch on the blacktop 6 miles from the house. It gets a lot worse from late October thru early December in our area.

I usually drop down about 10 mph below the limit and Rita watches the road and ditch on her side extra close. I’ve hit two over the years but never with a trailer behind.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-30-2021, 11:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Ugh that doesn't sound fun to deal with. At least it's towards the end of summer.

I think on the bright side though the damage doesn't look too bad. Would be a lot worse on a traditional trailer I imagine? And if it was an airstream considerably more expensive to fix.

This was in reply to op. Didn't mean to quick reply to Iowa Dave.
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS78 View Post
What is "Quick Reply" and how does it differ from "Reply", or does it? I don't see "Reply" as an option, in any case.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
A friend used this company: Ollie's Fiberglass Repair
Fiberglass repair service in Kenmore, Washington
Located in: North Lake Marina
Address: 6201 NE 175th St, Kenmore, WA 98028
Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 5PM
Phone: (425) 776-6040

For her Boler. Had a color match problem due to her Boler color not being easy to match but I think Escape can help you with that.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 E19
That doe will cost you some dough! Sorry you had a run-in with a flighty female. You're turning in an insurance claim, right? That looks like it could take a couple grand to fix properly, just my guess.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Sorry to hear! A boat repair yard is you best bet. Here's one in Portland you might try.
https://www.schoonercreek.com/boat-repair
Good luck!
Thank you. They are on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
A friend used this company: Ollie's Fiberglass Repair
Fiberglass repair service in Kenmore, Washington
Located in: North Lake Marina
Address: 6201 NE 175th St, Kenmore, WA 98028
Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 5PM
Phone: (425) 776-6040

For her Boler. Had a color match problem due to her Boler color not being easy to match but I think Escape can help you with that.
Thank you. I am looking for shops that have trailer experience. I saw a shop in Tacoma that had a picture of a Trillium in their project list.

Quote:
Would be a lot worse on a traditional trailer I imagine? And if it was an airstream considerably more expensive to fix.
I'm wondering that myself. It was a pretty hard hit. I could see it doing a lot of damage to a 2"x2" pine frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
That doe will cost you some dough! Sorry you had a run-in with a flighty female. You're turning in an insurance claim, right? That looks like it could take a couple grand to fix properly, just my guess.
I am turning in a claim. The funny thing is that I use my son's truck to pull the Escape. He is very proud of his truck and keeps it immaculate, so my wife and I were initially relieved that it didn't hit his truck, but only the trailer. However, my son laughed, because he works at the body shop for the local Ford dealer and said if it had hit his truck instead that he would have it repaired by Friday and paid himself to do it. He told me to not swerve and just take it in the front quarter if a deer runs out again.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Bambi's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post

Thank you. I am looking for shops that have trailer experience. I saw a shop in Tacoma that had a picture of a Trillium in their project list.

I'm wondering that myself. It was a pretty hard hit. I could see it doing a lot of damage to a 2"x2" pine frame.

I am turning in a claim. The funny thing is that I use my son's truck to pull the Escape. He is very proud of his truck and keeps it immaculate, so my wife and I were initially relieved that it didn't hit his truck, but only the trailer. However, my son laughed, because he works at the body shop for the local Ford dealer and said if it had hit his truck instead that he would have it repaired by Friday and paid himself to do it. He told me to not swerve and just take it in the front quarter if a deer runs out again.

And how did Barbie's mom fare?
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:06 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post

For your insurance claim, make sure it is clear the deer hit you, not you hit it.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
And how did Barbie's mom fare?
She was stone dead before she hit the ground, I'm sure. I went back and drug her off the fog line and onto the shoulder out of the way. Lots of blood from a head wound.
I was meeting my brother at the campground, and he works for WSDOT. He said he's picked up as many as 4 deer carcasses in a day. The deer was gone when we went by on Sunday. Either road kill scavengers or the state or county hwy crew got her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
For your insurance claim, make sure it is clear the deer hit you, not you hit it.
Thanks, I will. The fact that the truck, hitch, tanks, and storage box had no damage points to the deer running into me. I thought I might have cleared it until I heard the thump. I was well into the other lane, too. It was standing still about 5 yards from the edge of the road when I first saw it and it just ran at me instead of away. Stupid deer.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:46 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Our insurance company (and most I believe) consider deer collisions to be "acts of God" (forget the technical term) and unavoidable. Similar to a rock chip from meeting another vehicle. On my policy that means there is no deductible and the claim does not go against your record so rates are unaffected.
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:46 AM   #16

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
unfortunate incident, but the damage looks minimal. I think its a straight forward glass repair that is an easy repair for a glass repair shop. As others have said, boat repair places probably your best bet. You'll be hard pressed to know there was any damage when a repair shop finishes.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What is "Quick Reply" and how does it differ from "Reply", or does it? I don't see "Reply" as an option, in any case.
In the web interface "Quick Reply" is a button on a post, and starts a reply with an option to quote that post. "Quote" is a button on a post, and starts a reply with that post quoted. There is one "Post Reply" button for the page; using it starts a reply quoting any posts for which the "Multi Quote" button has been pushed.

I assume that Michael just meant that he had not intended to quote Dave (using a specific one of the tools provided to reply with a quote).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:32 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Do you think that matters? Perhaps it depends on the insurance company or region. It's a collision, and the other party's insurance company cannot be made to pay.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Do you think that matters? Perhaps it depends on the insurance company or region. It's a collision, and the other party's insurance company cannot be made to pay.
In NY, if you hit a deer it is under your collision part of your insurance which usually has a delectable limit while if the deer hits you it is under the comprehensive, which usually has a lower (or none) deductible limit. No idea if Canada or Oregon covers things the same way.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:23 PM   #20

The Progressive claims agent says animal collisions are covered under comprehensive insurance and subject to my deductible ($1000, ouch!)

I had already sent pictures and she kept telling me what happens if the adjuster declares it a total loss. When I told her it is easily repairable she said she thought it looked pretty serious being that it cracked all the way through. It was obvious from several of her questions that she has never dealt with molded fiberglass trailers before. I will keep you all posted on how this all plays out.