How many use their ovens. - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
Use in cold or wet weather. Otherwise we have a toaster oven for outside.
not very practical for off grid camping, unless you like running a generator... often the oven is on for half an hour or more baking something, a toaster oven is typically 1200 watts or so, if you ran this on an inverter, that would be 30 minutes at 100 amps, which would completely kill a single battery, and bring a double golf cart battery down to the 50% point in one fell swoop.... ok, i know, at the typical temp setting, a toaster oven has a 20-50% duty cycle, so its not quite that bad, but still.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Hi - We bought a (cheap) toaster oven baking stone on Amazon for $17. It's really small, but covers the oven burner flames perfectly and works great. I know some people hesitate to buy a pizza stone because a lot of them are pretty pricey and they're known to break easily. The toaster oven baking stone we bought is inexpensive and stores easily in its shipping box in the oven. The title on Amazon is "10 1/4 Rectangle Toaster Oven Baking Stone" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
The "pizza stone" solution worked out great for us too!
John
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #63

Trailer: 2019 21’
We chose not to get an oven in our soon-to-be-built 21’ trailer, as we like to camp off grid. Our first trailer oven was used to store bread.
Dianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #64

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you camp off grid then you would want the Escape 3 burner stove with oven, propane use similar to your refrigerator. The microwave oven needs electric.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:25 PM   #65

Trailer: ?
Ordered our new 21 with the oven because in previous RV’s we used it very often. Since we enjoy boondocking mostly, we carry no appliances that require electricity. Propane powered only. The microwave oven being the exception.
The oven, a percolater for coffee, tea pot, etc.

I built a second pan/tray that rests on top of the ‘botton’ tray so we can cook more items at the same time in this small oven. A double decker tray.

This suits our needs quite well.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:37 PM   #66

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
What oven?

Terry is an avid cook, but realized she never used the oven when camping. She uses our 15 year old small gas grill to make muffins, etc, and wanted the indoor space for storage.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #67

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
What oven?

Terry is an avid cook, but realized she never used the oven when camping. She uses our 15 year old small gas grill to make muffins, etc, and wanted the indoor space for storage.

Enjoy,

Perry
We opted for the space over the oven also. Judy does use oven at home a lot, but on the road she has made due with an “Omni “ stove top oven and a small toaster oven for when we have hookups. The cabinet space is put to good use.
Attached Images

Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #68

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
We picked up our E21 on Jan 14th and have been traveling and living in it since then. We have used the oven once during that time and the microwave oven countless times. Very glad to have both. How the heck will you make those Tater Tots to go along with the steak you grill without an oven? Like others, we use the oven to store loaves of bread when not in use as an oven.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The only oven we had in a trailer before the 5.0TA never got used. Never missed it in subsequent trailers but had one in a temporary trailer my wife got used to so I installed one in the 5.0TA at her request, and boy am I glad I did! [emoji16]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #70

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
How the heck will you make those Tater Tots to go along with the steak you grill without an oven?
We have been using Weber's cheap portable gas grill for years to make tator tots, baked potatoes, vegetables, muffins, etc.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #71
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Oven, this is probably the only thing I'm still waffling over. Regrets? Don't know, haven't decided yet. And I don't always camp next to Dave&Kathie

I've captured a lot of yummy recipes for camping that require an oven. Not a microwave or stove top, but an oven. I carried a large toaster oven on the Big Trip the past summer. We used it 3 times in 51 days. It was wonderful each time.

I hope to 'full-time' for six months starting either late fall 2019 or the first of the year 2020. I'm going to take the toaster oven and track usage. Of course THAT requires electricity... another issue.

When Tom W. posted about the True Induction T1-G cook top, I thought cool, wonder if the type comes with an oven too? Doesn't (yet) or at least not this brand. But I use induction cooking in my sticks 'n bricks and have only used one burner of the propane stove in Ten Forward. I think this would be perfect for me, if it had a propane oven. This might be one of those things, if I wait long enough, something better will come along.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #72

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Love the oven. We don't use it all the time, but frequently enough to be glad we have it. Besides, it stores a lot of pots and pans just fine while traveling.

As we are thinking and planning for an E19, I really wish we could have an oven with only a 2-burner stove. Counter space is as much of a concern than cabinet space.
mconrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #73

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrath View Post

As we are thinking and planning for an E19, I really wish we could have an oven with only a 2-burner stove. Counter space is as much of a concern than cabinet space.
My Dickinson Carribean range has only 2 burners.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #74

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We didn't have an oven before but ordered one in our 21' and I love it! Haven't been camping all that much since pickup but the times we have, I've used the oven every time. I do store some pans in the oven; however, I noticed that there's a wire in the back (thermometer?) which I don't want the stainless pans hitting and possibly damaging so I made a thick fabric 'sleeve' to store the pans in while we are on the move.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #75

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
I made a thick fabric 'sleeve' to store the pans in while we are on the move.

I keep my non-stick fry pans in individual reusable grocery bags. Cheap and ready made.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I use mine a couple times a week, and will be baking a couple of blueberry pies for the Quartzsite rally next week. My major reason for moving from a 17b to the 21 was for the oven. I got tired of baking in a dutch oven!
Old 02-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #77

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We have a oven in our trailer . First item to go on build , because we have always had a oven in our RV's . Because it uses gas , it always will work when boondocking or nasty weather. We also have a microwave and can use if we have hookups . We want the different choices for cooking . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #78

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrath View Post
With a range, the oven's width and depth determine the stovetop size; even if it had only two burners, there still may not be any more counter space unless the oven is smaller.

For instance...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My Dickinson Carribean range has only 2 burners.
In Dickinson's ranges, the two-burner Caribbean and three-burner Mediterranean are the same width. The difference in installation dimensions is that the two-burner Caribbean is not as deep, leaving 5.5" more counter space between the wall and the back edge of the stovetop. So Jim has a 5.5" wider strip of countertop behind the stove than he would with the three-burner. In this case, the oven is only 12.5" deep (inside, front-to-back) in both models, so the extra size of the three-burner is just for the stovetop (not the oven), and going with two burners does save counter space without sacrificing oven space.

Is counter space between the wall and stove the additional space you would want?

Escape has been using Atwood ranges. Atwood was purchased by Dometic, so these are now Dometic stoves. This line only comes in 3-burner, presumably because they don't want to produce two different widths or depths.

There is an unrelated unit from Dometic, from the SMEV line rather than Atwood, the stainless steel glass-topped model CU434. It is still a 3-burner, but appears to be a bit smaller than the ex-Atwood models (specs from Panther RV Products for CU434 and a 17" Atwood), which might leave slightly more counter space... but the oven cavity is also smaller. Perhaps more significantly, it has a flush cover, so when not in use the cover is much more usable as counter space.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:57 PM   #79
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have a oven in our trailer . First item to go on build , because we have always had a oven in our RV's . Because it uses gas , it always will work when boondocking or nasty weather. We also have a microwave and can use if we have hookups . We want the different choices for cooking . Pat
Ditto! Same here!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #80

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
My wife wanted options, so we got an oven. I am so glad we did.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote