How to replace sail switch ? (Atwood 8012) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other

Old 10-11-2016, 05:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hi Parker,
Thank you for posting furnace removal procedures and pictures. They are valueable for DIY repair. Do you have a special technique for aligning the furnace with the exhaush pipe when you reinstal the furnace? Thanks.

Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Hi Tonny, or is it LR? After reading a couple of other posts, I asked my wife to look through the exhaust port with a flashlight. She described it as looking like a partial eclipse....when it became a total eclipse, the two tubes were lined up! They overlap by a couple of inches, so there is no getting it wrong. It took a few tries, and could have probably been easier with someone outside using a long screwdriver to help guide the exhaust tubes together. I can envision a tool made of a slotted tube to help do this, but it really wasn't that hard.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hello Parker,
Thank you for sharing your furnace maintenance write up. Congratulations on your successful re-installation of the furnace.

Tonny
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19'-sold/2017 February hatch
I see your dust bunny in the switch before you removed it. Something to try blowing out with air if I should have the problem. Thanks for the pics.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:15 PM   #15

That's what I'd try next time. If the furnace is pulled part way out (wires still connected) a blast of air into the openings on the side of the furnace opposite the sail switch would do it. Tammy implied that a good puff of air through the opening in the front or maybe even from the outside wall opening might do the trick without even pulling the furnace.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
How do you get the danged pipe from the furnace into the exhaust pipe? I can line it up fine and it does go on and then stops. I have a good inch further to go so the furnace fits snug against the bench. So the connection is made, the pipe from the furnace is inside the exhaust portal pipe but there is a need to go further.

I tried polishing the connection with steel wool, no help there. I have checked for any other obstructions, all good from what I can see. The outer box seems to be lining up properly. The foam tape is not an issue because I am not even reaching it yet.

When I took it apart it was hard to separate, I thought the foam tape was the issue.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
How do you get the danged pipe from the furnace into the exhaust pipe? I can line it up fine and it does go on and then stops. I have a good inch further to go so the furnace fits snug against the bench. So the connection is made, the pipe from the furnace is inside the exhaust portal pipe but there is a need to go further.

I tried polishing the connection with steel wool, no help there. I have checked for any other obstructions, all good from what I can see. The outer box seems to be lining up properly. The foam tape is not an issue because I am not even reaching it yet.

When I took it apart it was hard to separate, I thought the foam tape was the issue.
When I reinstalled mine I had the same problem. Removed the outside plate, then had a helper hold the face of the furnace in place after I screwed the furnace down. Used a rubber mallet to tap the outer plate onto the pipes until it seated pretty well. Unscrewed the mounted furnace and wiggled both it and the outside plate until tapping the outside reseated the pipes. Reinstalled the outside plate, then screwed the furnace back down. The number of 4 letter words used during the process was considerable, but I think it only took 2 beers (one for each of us.)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Parker's idea in post #12 may help you get those pipes lined up.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #19

If I understand correctly, you're getting the two tubes aligned and partially slid together, but you're hitting some kind of resistance with an inch to go. Mine was a really snug fit and took a bit of wiggling around to get it to seat propeerly. Does it feel like you're hitting a solid obstruction, or the fit is just too tight? Are both tubes round over their entire length? Any chance something else is interfering?
Old 11-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Based on what I have read and my experience in removing the furnace I think (as does my wife) that the issue is the snug fit of the tubes. We are not seeing any other obstruction. I think Charlie maybe offering the only solution for tight pipes. (In college I had tight pipes, it was usually after the night before. Sometimes they were referred to as hot pipes).

So I have to drill out the rivets on the outside exhaust, used a rubber hammer, twist the bugger around and remount everything? I do not have a rivet gun, do I need one to rivet the outside exhaust or is there is screw/bolt option? I would not mind learning how to rivet. That opens up several new questions.

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote