Microwave Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Microwave Questions

I'm trying to decide on the microwave for my 17B on order and have four basic questions.
1. What is the wattage of the built in?
2. What is the platter diameter?
3. Overall exterior dimensions?
4. Dimension of the cabinet if the oven is not installed?

Thanks for all help.

And BTW, how does the search function work here? It looks like you have to search each section separately, which seems awfully cumbersome.

?
Blacksburg, VA
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
And BTW, how does the search function work here? It looks like you have to search each section separately, which seems awfully cumbersome.
I would suggest starting a separate topic in Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box about searching... but no, you don't need to search each sub-forum separately. Some notes to get you started:
  • The Advanced Search isn't bad, and lets you specify which items such as which parts of the forum to search, and which members' posts to find, which can be useful.
  • Most members recommend using the built-in Google Custom Search (at the bottom of the Search menu).
  • I just do a Google search from my browser, outside of the forum, but add "site:escapeforum.org" as a search term, so Google only looks in this forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #3

I know that all of these are reasonable questions which have come up before, so I did a Google search of this site for "microwave model" and found some relevant topics:
  • Microwave Convection oven
    This thread contains compartment dimensions... but for a different Escape model.
  • Microwave Turntable
    This thread (which is now a couple of years old and so may no longer have valid information) specfies a Dometic CDMW07B as the model. I did a Google search for that model code and found lots of reference from parts suppliers (which say that it is made by LG and has a 9-3/4" diameter turntable) and a specs page from Dometic.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #4

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Back in November when I asked re the microwave (among a gazillion other questions) I received the following reply: RCA: RMW712
700 watt internal dimensions: 17" x 12" x 9"​ (external: 19.5" x 14" 11.5") 0.7 cu. ft If you look that model up on-line, you will no doubt be able to learn size of the dish, etc. Walmart carries this - so I went to look at one in person.
(Hope this helps -
Am in process of deciding particulars re a 17B as well)
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Try out the convection microwave before you think about installing them. Here is the experience I had a year ago.

My experience with a Dometic Convection Microwave. About a year and a half ago when I was equipping my new Casita I decided that I really wanted one and figured by the dimensions of the microwave and the cabinet it would fit. So I ordered one from Camping World. I could get it to fit, but when I read the directions I found you needed quite a bit of room on both sides and behind, on top and underneath. I tried it out in my kitchen and felt how extremely hot it got when on convection. The microwave worked just fine. When I tried using the convection I found it did not cook evenly. I could not get it to work like a normal oven. I tried biscuits. They did not rise well and cooked too done on the outside and not on the inside. I tried cookies and they came out terrible too. Fortunately Camping World sent me a packaging label and I was able to get a refund. I do not remember what model I had purchase.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Nancy, in reading all the reviews of the Dometic convection microwaves, and the myriad of issues with them breaking down or not cooking properly, I would not waste a dime on a Dometic. There may be a more reliable brand that will fit the enclosure, but haven't really looked. Our Cuisinart Convection Microwave at home works fantastic, but of course, it's not suitable for an RV.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #7

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
microwave

We opted for the cabinet in the 21 .Then we bought a 700watt microwave that fits into the cabinet for $49.00 .I'm not sure what size cabinet is in the 17b trailer .When I get out to the trailer I can take measurements. There are plenty of small 600-700 microwaves that will fit into that space on the 21 .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
The original post was regarding a regular microwave but I'll play along. It appears that Reace was not interested in installing convection type as late as fall 2015 based on posts. Recently though it appears he is working with Dave (H46Driver) to implement one in a new 21 due to roll out of ETI later this month. It sounds like it is a Contoure model. This is what Oliver uses. I bet it is much better than Dometic. My point is that we shouldn't wholesale reject a technology because one brand is inferior. It's great to see Reace has agreed to this customization that requires larger clearances around the unit. Hopefully we get a report on how it works once the owners have used it for awhile.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...d-8031-64.html

Post #634
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The original post was regarding a regular microwave but I'll play along. It appears that Reace was not interested in installing convection type as late as fall 2015 based on posts. Recently though it appears he is working with Dave (H46Driver) to implement one in a new 21 due to roll out of ETI later this month. It sounds like it is a Contoure model. This is what Oliver uses. I bet it is much better than Dometic. My point is that we shouldn't wholesale reject a technology because one brand is inferior. It's great to see Reace has agreed to this customization that requires larger clearances around the unit. Hopefully we get a report on how it works once the owners have used it for awhile.

Post #634
Yes, we will be putting in a Contoure convection/microwave. Reace is building the cabinet to the specs called for and we will do the actual install. Hoping it's going to fit/work. We had a Dometic in the Casita and it was awesome. BUT because of the heat it generated we never ran it above 320 on convection. Cookies and brownies were perfect every time so we were really happy with it. We'll definitely post a review as soon as we can assuming it does fit.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
... Recently though it appears he is working with Dave (H46Driver) to implement one in a new 21 due to roll out of ETI later this month.

Post #634
Direct link:
It's Friday! - 2017 and beyond! - Post #634
Old 01-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I noticed yesterday that Costco has two brands of small convention ovens ... Cruisinart and (I think) Oyster. They were much lighter than a microwave but both required 1800 watt input. That is a lot of power if you are not plugged in.

I thinking about removing my mico because of its ability to take the "shine" off my twin 6v batteries. The extra storage will be much more useful to me.

Tom
Old 01-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I noticed yesterday that Costco has two brands of small convention ovens ... Cruisinart and (I think) Oyster. They were much lighter than a microwave but both required 1800 watt input. That is a lot of power if you are not plugged in.
Yes, a resistance heater is much lighter than the magnetron and power supply of a microwave oven of similar power. Larger countertop ovens (including most convection units) are generally sized (electrically) to use all of the capacity of a 15-amp 120V circuit, but you might find a smaller toaster oven with less heating power.

Since anything in a non-microwave electric oven will typically take a significant amount of time to cook, the total energy used is substantial and not a good match with using battery power.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Rubicon, I agree most whole heartedly.

and....

Dave, I am looking forward to seeing how your convection oven does and it looks like I may need some cooking lessons on how to use one. As mentioned above I had no luck with the one I tried out. It would be great just to have one appliance rather than an oven and microwave.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Rubicon, I agree most whole heartedly.

and....

Dave, I am looking forward to seeing how your convection oven does and it looks like I may need some cooking lessons on how to use one. As mentioned above I had no luck with the one I tried out. It would be great just to have one appliance rather than an oven and microwave.
Might be able to give you a demo on Feb 12! We're still keeping fingers crossed and hoping the cabinet will be correct in size as Reace will be working from the instruction sheet without oven in hand. They didn't have room to store it with the renovations going on so just wanted to operation using the manual.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #15

Trailer: 2016 escape trailer 21'
We requested the microwave opening measurement from ETI when we were working on our build sheet for our 21' escape. Decided to purchase our own microwave instead of ETI installing the RCA. However, the microwave we purchased will not fit into the area. While at the factory, we were told that ETI has to take the outside case off the microwave which they install & prep it so that it will stay in place during traveling. I don't know if the measurement for the area changed during ETI's makeover of that area, but we now have to hunt for a microwave to fit. We do have the oven so may choose to use the cabinet for storage instead of a microwave.
whitepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 AM   #16

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
microwave

We did the same thing we wanted the finished look of the cabinets . We also had ETI run a wire to the batteries so I can hook up the wire to our inverter (when we get one ) I'm still trying to decide which one (pure sign or modified)and what wattage 1000-2000 . That way the only thing I will need 110ac for will be the 1100 Air conditioner .
btw we bought a black and decker 700 watt for $49.00 it fits perfectly (em720cpn-pmb 700watt .we have the dual batteries with solar .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
jennykatz, do you know the interior dimensions of the 21's microwave cabinet? We had a microwave in the Scamp we had before our 17B and almost never used it, so we are leaning toward waiting to see if we need one in the 21.

The cabinet still has a 120V outlet in it even if you don't get the microwave?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I asked the same question. I was told that the17B microwave cabinet has a plug, even with out the microwave
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
I asked the same question. I was told that the17B microwave cabinet has a plug, even with out the microwave
One can request that it be omitted. I did as I thought it would interfere with what I planned to store in that area. Glad I did.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
If you order the inverter.

Tom