Solar Panel or Not? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We have trees up here, especially in provincial parks. Lots of trees.
Old 04-24-2021, 01:38 PM   #22
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Thanks so much for everyone's thoughtful comments. It sounds like an overwhelming thumbs up on the installed solar panel. I'll be checking that off on my build sheet. Virtually no one said the panel made putting a cover over the trailer is a problem, nor any leaks or failures due to additional holes in the shell. And I was pleased to hear that cleaning and waxing was not an issue. We've been using a GoPower 80 Watt suitcase panel with our tent trailer and found it was plenty to keep up with energy needs, but I'm guessing the Escape 17A will be a little more energy hungry.

Ian
We agree, the installed solar panel is a big thumbs up from us, especially for sunny CA. However, your concern about the fixed solar panel ripping a soft trailer cover is a valid concern. We found out the hard way and ripped our first cover a few times while trying to cover it - those corners are sharp! But the warranty covered it and we got a new one for free. So we are quite vigilant now about either putting foam over all the corners or tying a towel over the corners before covering it. Easy fix and well worth it! We joke and now say, gotta put her curlers in before she goes to bed!

As far as cleaning under the solar panel, I found that using a windshield cleaning tool like this (https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Un...s%2C314&sr=8-6 ) makes it easy to reach under it for washing and waxing.

We don't carry a portable solar panel and instead carry a dual fuel (propane or gas) 2000 w generator, reasonably small (50 lbs) to charge the batteries, if needed due to shade or bad weather. But a Zamp port also sounds prudent if you plan to camp off grid a lot and have sun. Best, Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #23

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
If you have a Zamp Charge Controller inside your trailer, your Zamp Solar port can be wired directly to the Charge Controller and you can purchase an unregulated portable for less money. There are two functional ways to correctly wire your solar port. However, if you use two charge controllers it can lead to charging conflicts. Ie which controller is running the show.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #24

Trailer: 2019 E19
In a number of ways, DC voltage and DC current function effectively like plumbing systems. If you have two sources of water supply, one providing a higher water pressure than the other, the source with the greater (higher voltage) will provide the bulk of the water flow when there is demand. The voltage of a solar panel is analagous to water pressure, and the potential current supplied by the solar panel is analagous to the size of the water pipe providing water.
So...whether the individual solar panels feeding the battery bank can both be connected, the answer is Yes. However, when trying to determine at any given moment which panel is providing current at a given voltage, one must take into account not only the capabilities of the panels (Vmax and Imax), but also whether either panel is currently in the shade, and which panel is not aimed directly at the Sun.

There is a reason why the the electric commuter rail systems in the United States primarily use DC for locomotion....They interconnect multiple power substations, and the moving trains draw current from the closest (higher voltage) substation. YMMV
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 19
Thumbs up Solar

I have the 190w panel on top of my Escape 19. It works great. I have never gone below 50% and by 10:00am-11:00am the next day, my abtteries are always fully charged. Does the trick and is trouble free.
SHolderfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
...concern about the fixed solar panel ripping a soft trailer cover is a valid concern. We found out the hard way and ripped our first cover a few times while trying to cover it - those corners are sharp! ...

We used to use just pool noodles for cover protection, but my wife found balls in a local store that work better for the corners. Check it out: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ver-20382.html
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:08 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA80 View Post
If you have a Zamp Charge Controller inside your trailer, your Zamp Solar port can be wired directly to the Charge Controller and you can purchase an unregulated portable for less money. There are two functional ways to correctly wire your solar port. However, if you use two charge controllers it can lead to charging conflicts. Ie which controller is running the show.
Multiple controllers can be used without a problem, this was discussed many times here and all over the web.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i would get it installed no worries about it getting stolen nothing extra to fuss with /carry . Has worked perfectly for me. I would have gotten two if i had known they were available and a Zamp plug. I love solar options but really so far I've never run down my batteries the solar has done the job.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #29

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
Multiple controllers can be used without a problem, this was discussed many times here and all over the web.
Like Effie say's, "Multiple controllers can be used without a problem." We have our 170 watt ETI installed GoPower panel hooked to a Victron 100/30 smart controller and our 100 watt Renogy folding panel going to a SAE port hooked to a Victron 100/20 smart controller. Both are individually hooked to the battery bank. No problems.

It's not uncommon for some big RV Titanic's to have three or more controllers hooked to the same battery bank.

Perhaps grammatically you meant to say we shouldn't hook our 100/20 controller to our 100/30 controller and then to the battery? I'd agree with that scenario not working well.

Enjoy,

Perry

Tags
optional, roof mount, solar panel